“Not Bad at a Good Price”

Days Inn Wilkes Barre
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Falls Church, Virginia
“Not Bad at a Good Price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2007

This is not a bad place to stop if you're driving along I-81 in Pennsylvania, as long as you get a good deal. The building is showing its age, but our room was very clean, the mattress very good, and even the pillows met my wife's standards. The continental breakfast was adequate, with the usual cereal, bagel, banana, and coffee choices. We paid a little over $60 for the room and have no complaints. If anything, it exceeded our expectations.

• Liked — Free high-speed Internet
  • Disliked — Slightly shabby ambience
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FallsChurchTraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Elco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2007

This motel had received some poor reviews in the past but some recent ones were good. Maybe this place had problems in the past but we found it clean, quiet, the staff was very helpful and the complimentary breakfast was a good as it gets at a moderately priced motel.
It is situated in a good neighbor of businesses with a Friendly Restaurant, Pizza Hut and McDonalds all within an easy walk across the parking lot. A good sized mall is across the road with more food choices.
We stayed here while visiting Steamtown. The casino is only a couple miles north of the motel for those who enjoy a negative investment of their money.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No problems
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TangSooPap
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2007

I booked 5 nights on no notice through an online travel site. This was the best stay I ever had for the rates I paid (average $58 per night). I stayed in a room on the 4th floor, and the room was exceptionally clean and made very well each day by housekeeping. The lobby was very clean, and you could see the staff constantly busy cleaning the lobby areas. If you want a microwave or fridge, you will pay extra. I found the bed to be a bit soft for my liking. The free continental breakfast was good, fresh, and constantly replenished. There was a cozy area with a big screen tv where you could enjoy a bagel and watch the news with your morning paper. Again, for a basic room very clean and nice. I will definitely stay here again if I am in the area.

• Liked — It was very clean. Free Wi-Fi.
  • Disliked — No pool. Microwave and Fridge are an extra change.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank PrayedUp
Pittsburgh, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2006

The place is shabby and tired looking. The small refrigerator was cold, microwave worked, no real problems. The staff was friendly and accommodating. I stayed in a third floor room, which was clean, with the exception of a slight odor due to the air-conditioning unit, and the shower floor could use resurfaced as it had visible grime and soap scum. In addition, the sink in located on the outside of the bathroom, which I did not prefer. I did not try the complimentary breakfast, but it looked to be as advertised although the breakfast area was very small. The mattress was kind of on the hard side, and the bed sheets had a musty smell. This hotel is OK for the $65 a night rate I had paid.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Wilkes-Barre hotels

Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2006

We spent 4 nights in this wonderful hotel recently. The staff are all pleasant and helpful. There was a very wide variety of restaurants willing to deliver right to our hotel door. And there were also a large variety of restaurants located within walking distance, or a short drive from the hotel. Our stay was just for pleasure, non business related. We are planning to stay there again in December. I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — the wide variety of restaurants that would deliver
  • Disliked — had some problems with internet service
  • Tips/Secrets — check prices ahead of time
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Billyz_girl
DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2006

Location and rooms were great, lots of restaurants within walking distance. We had spend some time at the mall right across which was great cause we needed to buy few things for our trip. The employees were friendly and very helpfull gave us great directions. Over all our stay was pleasant and we would go back on our next trip.

• Liked — Rooms and location
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
2 Thank Traveler44444
Newport News, VA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2006

We checked into the Days Inn WIlkes-Barre at 9 p.m. on Wednesday, July 12, 2006. Our room smelled musty and dirty. I attributed the smell to stale air and used the air conditioner to circulate the air in the room.

After settling into our room and getting a bite to eat from Grotto Pizza, we decided to call it a night. My husband and I each grabbed a corner of the bed linens to turn the bed down for the night. To our surprise, we found fecal matter on the top sheet.

When I called the front desk to report the matter, Karen questioned the truth of my statement. I snapped a few digital pictures before stripping the bed and bringing the evidence to the front desk. Karen was disgusted by the sheets as I had been. I was offerred a fresh set of sheets. The hotel was full and an alternate room was not available.

I demanded that Karen call the hotel's general manager, Prasat. She did, but he wasn't concerned enough to come to the hotel and resolve the matter. During my stay, I learned that this hotel has only one employee on staff in the evenings.

I was told that because I made my reservation at DaysInn.com the hotel was not responsible for making the situation right. At checkout, the general manager, Prasat, offerred no apology and we were required to pay for our stay. We filed a formal complaint with Days Inn Guest Services. We plan to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and are disputing the charges made to our credit card for the one-night stay.

• Stayed July 2006