“Not for family” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Quebec City, Canada
“Not for family”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2010

This is not a place for young children. There were people who were drinking at our doorstep at 6 pm. The room was filthy, the beds were not inspiring. There’s no pool at this place contrary to what they say. I tried, with Expedia.ca, to join the manager for 3 days... but he was never there!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
jrtguy, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center, responded to this review, October 6, 2010
We are very sorry the guest was unhappy. I was contacted by Expedia and requested 1 hour to review the stay, but they would not allow me to call them back and they never called me again. As for the complaints, the front desk was told by the guest they were leaving because the rooms did not connect, which was not requested by Expedia in the reservation and could easily have been provided. Maybe Expedia should take some of the responsibility for the guest dissatisfaction. Had we been told about the people drinking we could have reacted. As for the pool, it is easily accessible right next door and meets our brand guidelines. We would like the guest to return and try us again. Contact the hotel directly and ask for the GM.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
York, Pa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2010

I have stayed in this specific hotel about 7 times anow and have yet to have a negative experience. This hotel is located about 2 miles (if that) from the casino, less than 1 mile from the Wachovia center and less than a mile from the mall and shopping areas. There is an indoor pool located inside the Host hotel that shares a parking lot with this hotel, its free to use, along with the fitness room and hot tub. Just bring goggels, like every hotel swimming pool its heavily chlorinated. I am a cigar smoker and booked a smoking room with 2 queen beds on the second floor. When I got to the hotel my room wasn't ready but I was early and wasnt expecting it to be. The manager upgraded me to a suite on the first floor with a king bed with out me asking.

All in all, I have yet to have anything less than an enjoyable experience with this hotel and will continue to stay here and would reccomend it to any and all that ask.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the very kind words. We try very hard to make every guest stay enjoyable and comfortable. It is good to hear that we were successful in regards to your stay. We look forward to being of service in the future.
Philadelphia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2010

I should have run when I walked into the lobby and the women working the front desk had on a very wrinkled shirt. I usually stay in the Marriott right behind this property but couldn't so I stayed at this place. It was a big mistake. I was shocked at how Choice Hotels allowed this company to poorly run this facility..

I went into the first room and the first thing I noticed was the big stain on the carpet but that was just the beginning. There is no central hallway the rooms are set up like a motel and open up to the outside. The door to my room had a big gap around it and let in cold air even though it was closed. The safety lock did not lock. I decided to give the room a look over since I noticed these problems. There was crumbs on the carpets like they were not vacuumed There were full length mirrors on the bathroom doors the one in this room was all scratched. Scratched so bad that you really couldn't use it as a mirror. The next thing I saw sealed the deal. There was human fecal matter on the bathroom door!

They give me a different room. A few doors away from that one. No can we make this up to you by giving you a bigger room or take money off the bill, nothing. This room was a little bit cleaner. The sheets on the bed were wrinkled. The floor still looked like they could vacuum it. The door was still drafty. But, all of this was still better than the last room. The heat worked too well. There was two settings for the heat, on or off. When its on it just keeps running until its 800 degrees in the room and if you turn it off you freeze because of the gap around the door letting in cold air. I don't know if they use something on their sheets or if it was bed bugs but I kept scratching all night long and woke up with little red bumps all over me.

Breakfast was also interesting. The area right by the breakfast room smelled really bad. The employee who was suppose to be stocking the breakfast was sitting on the couch in front of the tv sleeping. I was getting breakfast for the two of us and had to walk back and forth a few times since my room was no where near the breakfast area. Not once did the women get up. She only woke up about 5 minutes before breakfast was over and didn't restock anything except the coffee.

If you are looking for the pool or the gym which the website says they have, you are going to have to go into a different hotel. They must have an agreement with the other hotel for use of the pool and gym. This property doesn't have either.

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. If this is how Choice Hotels runs their properties, I will seriously think 3 or 4 times before staying in one. Actually I think I would sleep in my car before staying in one again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rjcqh
We are very sorry to hear that this guest had so many problems. We hope since this review, they have had the chance to return and see that we are making improvements and trying very hard to provide a very enjoyable and comfortable night stay.

Travelers are raving about these Wilkes-Barre hotels

columbus ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2009

We called 3 hours ahead to make a reservation telling front desk we had a coupon from a super saver book we picked up at a Pennsylvania rest area (these books are available at every rest area across the state). She said we could not make the reservation using the coupon until we arrived. We asked how many rooms they had available she said 40 so we decided to wait. Once arriving they would not accept the $59.99 that was advertised but would charge us $69.99 because the $59.99 were taken and it was a busy night for them. The add said nothing about availability and we argued this but it didn't matter. Since it was late we checked in any way. The rooms do not have inside corridors but open to the outside and the rooms themselves are very basic not worth even the $59.99. The breakfast next morning had cold items that were warm and very few choices. There are many other hotels in area, next time I will try one of them.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelerColumbusOhio
jrtguy, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center, responded to this review, September 14, 2009
Did the writer forget this was Labor Day Weekend? Coupon books clearly state on the cover that these are special rates based on availability. Our coupons also state it right on the coupon. Often the availability is there for the early part of the day and the coupons are accepted. But, by the afternoon the availability is gone. The writer admits taking the chance. We thank the writer for choosing Quality Inn and hope they will come back.
Greenwich CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2009

I found this hotel on priceline for $89 a night. I was away on business, so I had to find the cheapest place. The Red Roof is cheaper, but I assumed that the Quality Inn would be better, considering that this place is a 1.5 star and the Red Roof is a 1 star. Well, last night and this morning, I found out that a half of a star does not make much difference.

When I arrived at the Quality Inn, I noticed there was a TGI Friday's in front. I checked in, got the little card, and enjoyed a Jack Daniel's burger before I went into my room. That was quite convienient. The rooms are accessed from outside, giving it a little bit of a motel feeling, but not bad. I got to park right in front of the door to my room, so it was actually more convienient for me.

When I entered my room, my first impression was common- a normal economy room that will make me glad to leave early for work. Nothing special, just a good old bed, a working TV, a bathroom complete with a sink, a mirror, towels, soap, that's it. The carpet wasn't in the best shape but it wasn't ripped or stained. The TV had a good picture but it produced a slight but noticable high pitched sound. The mattress wasn't hard, but it was certainly firm. A little too firm for me, and my standards are quite low. The sheets were fine and the pillows smelled like detergent, not vinyl.

The bathroom is the typical toilet and shower with the sink and mirror right outside of it. The toilet leaked constantly, making a noticable sound. The shower was probably the biggest pain in the butt in the whole stay. It has two knobs- one cold, one hot. I configured them so it was about 90 degrees, just right. Half way through my shower it suddenly got ice cold, in other words going from 90 to about 40 in a second. After about 4 seconds, it warmed back up. Then it suddenly became as hot as it could get. To make the whole situation even more annoying, when it became freezing cold I was wetting my hair, and when it became hot I was rinsing out the shampoo. It ended up going in this cold-hot cycle until I turned it off.

The free breakfast was worth the price. The bagles were tough as leather. The bacon was very oily, as if they were deepfried for quite a while, then drenched in oil. The orange juice had a very odd tangy taste that I've never tasted before in orange juice. The apple juice was okay. The cream cheese was the best part, since it was actually fine. It made the tough, tasteless bagles taste good! The breakfast room is very large and roomy, something rare in the cheaper hotels. It features the news on a big screen TV.

Overall, other than the shower situation and the breakfast, it wasn't bad for a one night stay for business. An extended stay, something I wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Quality_Inn_WB_GM, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
It seems we let this traveler's comments fall through the cracks!! I am so sorry for this!!

Since your stay 3 years ago, we have made many significant improvements to the hotel. We installed new Flat-Screen TV's with High Definition programming. We have renovated nearly all guestroom showers and installed new fixtures to eliminate the hot and cold water issue. We have also been improving the quality of our breakfast offerings by rotating menus, changing our suppliers and making improvements based on customer feedback. THANK YOU FOR YOURS!! Please stop back again if your travel plans bring you back to Wilkes-Barre.