“I have only had good experiences here”

Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Fishkill, New York
“I have only had good experiences here”
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Some of the reviews about this hotel are confusing to me. We have stayed here at least 6 times and never experienced any of the issues other contributors have stated. There are two sides to every story, but , I sense there may be some other forces at play like: disgrunteled ex employees, compitition playing games and personal issues that medication can resolve.

The management and the staff here are amongst the friendliest I have encountered in my 30+ years of travelling, no matter what class of hotel. The few times we needed any assistance they have bent over backwards to accommodate. We always have a nice free breakfast here, in a spacious room, with an attendant who works very hard to keep it clean and stocked.

The rooms are always clean and neat. There is newer cartpet in all the rooms I have stayed in, the TV's all work, the water pressure and hot water is fine, and the beds are comfortable. The bathrooms are a tad small. So what. One day I was out on the second floor walkway on a nice sunny day and two of the hotel staff stopped to talk to me about the area and pointed out landmarks. We had a nice relaxed conversation. Dan the general manager has greeted me and his assistant has also. They are both very available during regular hours.

The property is an older one. I remember it being a Holiday Inn when I stayed here for business over 20 years ago. But older does not matter as long as it is well cared for. This Quality Inn, from everything I have seen, is well cared for and well run. We never have had anything taken out of my room, never run across mold or major comfort impediments, always have had ample towels, toiletries and soap when asked for, and, the heat and A/C have worked just fine.

This hotel will suit the needs of travelers and exceed them if called upon. Again, I have stayed here 6 times. I understand people have all different levels of expectations, but to bash this hotel is going too far. If you have issues, just communicate them reasonably. This staff will resolve them for you.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bartendo
DanielR_880, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
The staff and management would like to extend their hearfelt gratitude to this reviewer for their very kind words of support. We work very hard to ensure the best stay for all guests and it is gratifying to know we have succeeded. You said it best..we "accomodate". No matter what the request is, just call the front desk and give us the opportunity to help make your stay more comfortable. If we have not met your expectations, please let me know. If I am not available, I will get back to you..I promise! Thank you again to the reviewer as we truly appreciate the opportunity to be of service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Antigonish, Canada
Reviewed December 12, 2011

Hotel cleaning staff stole personal belongings from our room when we were not in. My jewelry and perfume were taken, and after multiple efforts I still have not received any sort of compensation for these valuable items that were stolen. Front-desk staff did not care about my situation at the time and management said they would try to help, but ended up doing nothing at all. Extremely unprofessional staff that you can not trust. I would NOT stay here again under any circumstance.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
DanielR_880, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center, responded to this review, January 7, 2012
This complaint was made by a woman that was NOT a guest of our hotel. The room she claimed to be in was registered to a male that was a member of a sports team. No member or manager of the team submitted a complaint of a lost article. We advised Trip Advisor of this and they chose to “allow the review to remain on site”, thus highly calling into question the integrity of the Tripadvisor.com site. Hotels commonly disclaim responsibility for lost and found articles. It is the policy of this hotel to address all legitimate lost and found issues and resolve the matter to the best of our ability.

Travelers are raving about these Wilkes-Barre hotels

Midlothian, Virginia
Reviewed November 30, 2011

I only stayed here one night after finding a coupon in a Roomsaver booklet or similar type of advertisement. My first concern was that it had exterior doors which I did not know. Next we picked it strictly because it had an indoor pool. I even called ahead to confirm that it was open and operational. The woman who answered advised me that it would close at 9:00 PM and we werent going to arrive til 8:15 so we knew that we wouldnt have long to swim. Well, checkin was very slow and then come to find out the pool isnt even at the hotel but at the hotel next door for which we had to get a key made etc.. By the time our kids got to swim they would have only had 20 minutes tops. However it was so dark in the pool area that they were too scared to even swim. That is deceitful to say that they have a pool when in fact it is not on site. My reason for writing this review, however, is that my bathroom was filthy. The shower ceiling was covered in mold and the toilet had disgusting black mold all on the back. Please see the photos that I took. I did not discover this mes suntil late at night so I didn't bother to complain as I did not wish to switch rooms. I would definitely advise a different hotel unless yuo can get this one for $40 bucks or so. I paid $65.49 with tax.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
DanielR_880, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center, responded to this review, December 10, 2011
We appreciate the reviewers comments. We would like you and all other reviewers to know that immediately after your stay, upon learning from you of the problem in the bathroom, it was fixed. With regard to “Pool Access” as stated in the roomsaver, we are happy to offer this complimentary amenity in contrast to the majority of economical hotels which do not. It is merely a 45 sec. walk for guests to enjoy the soothing waters of the well lit indoor pool and hot tub. We hope you also took advantage of the Fitness Room which is available 24hrs. Some other complimentary amenities you might have used were the deluxe hot breakfast with Fresh Belgian Waffles and Breakfast meats, Free Wi-Fi, Free Refrig and Microwave in your room, Free HBO, Free business center, free local calls, free shuttle to the casino, and free parking. And best of all, we have our own TGI Friday’s right at the hotel for your family to enjoy. You can take the leftovers back to the room, refrigerate them and heat them up later. Or give them to your pet, because we are a pet friendly hotel. It is a great deal for the family traveling on a budget. We hope you will come back and try us again someday.
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We stayed at the hotel on sat 9/24/11
They have two of the nicest overnight housemen/guards,I wanted to sat thank you to Joe one of the overnight guards he helped me more than I could ask I will def stay there again and def tell ppl
It was a nice place

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank joeykidd
DanielR_880, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
The reviewer is very kind to compliment our Security/Housemen. They work tirelessly to help ensure our guests needs and satisfaction. They will be very pleased to know you have noticed and shared your experience with others. Thank you.
Newton, New Hampshire
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We recently stayed at this hotel for a family wedding that we were attending. After arriving after midnight from our long drive we visited the lobby to check in and found, unfortunately, that the front desk staff needed a training course in manners. Our non-smoking room which we had reserved had clearly been smoked in. After dealing with the oh-so-not-helpful front desk we were moved to a new room which allowed us to not make phone calls on the broken phone and gave us the thrill of standing in a foot of clogged tub water while we showered. The room directory said breakfast was open until 10am on Saturdays but apparently it's 9:30am in actuality so we were able to feast on the leftovers. The ONLY high point to this disaster of a hotel was the security guard who helped us move our room. He was a very nice gentleman. Of course, you need security, because the place has a lot of undesirables milling around smoking cigarettes and watching your every move!

Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
DanielR_880, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
With all due respect to the reviewer, we disagree with her summary. Allow us first to say that this guest had two rooms reserved. Upon arrival from the wedding reception after midnight, the guest informed the agent she only needed one room. Any other hotel would not have allowed a cancellation after 6pm. Out of courtesy, the agent did cancel the second room. We would therefore refute the claim that the front desk was not helpful, when in fact they took the guests needs into consideration over the policy of the hotel. With regard to the first room smelling of smoke, we try very hard to stop guests from smoking in non-smoking rooms. There are, however, some discourteous people in this world and we are sorry you had to witness that. As for the broken telephone and shower; the shower stopper was not pulled up all the way and the telephone is working. I was the manager on duty the weekend you were here. I remember being in the breakfast room at 10:10 am and there were still people having breakfast. We never close until at least 10am on the weekends. We cannot emphasize enough that if you are dissatisfied, before you leave, ask to speak to a manager or have one call you as soon as they come in. We want our guests to be happy and regret this guest had a bad experience.
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed September 11, 2011

I probably stayed about 20 nights here over the course if a couple months.
It is one of the less desirable properties in Wilkes Barre.
The prices were usually really cheap which caused me to keep coming back.
I finally stopped staying here when I woke up to a flooded room on a one night stay. I had not used the bathroom as I checked in at 11pm the night before.
I reported the issue to the front desk who said he would put in a note to make sure I didnt get charged. In my opinioin this was not handled properly. He never offered to get me a new room and I had to dredge through soaking carpet and a cold wet floor to use the shower that morning. That was the final straw and I decided I would no longer be staying here.
It is connected to a TGIFridays which was convenient for dinner.
My other issue here was that the rooms open to the outside like an old style motel. (wwhich I believe it once was as the property appears to be from the 70s), On more than one occasion I had strange people approach me outside my room and offer to sell me used electronics which I presume were stolen.
I also had one incident where someone was banging on doors at 2AM on a Tuesday. I called the front desk and they sent a security officer to resolve the issue.
Weekends are usually packed with wedding guests as the hotel does have a venue for receptions.
In all honesty the Econo lodge down the street is a better option wore value conscious travellers.

Room Tip: equest a room that is not facing the parking lot to avoid drug addicts approaching you outside your...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
We appreciate the reviewers comments and acknowledge the age and style of our hotel. We have never tried to conceal that fact. I am sorry the guest was not happy with the way we handled the leak and wish the guest had asked to speak with me. We apologize for being approached by strangers. This should not have happened and we regret the incident. We would like the guest to come back and let us correct the problems. He enjoyed us the first time for at least 20 stays and we hope he would try again. Thank you.
Fishkill, New York
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We stayed here on July 30th. This hotel is on the older side and on the exterior, it shows. But upon entering the room the first thing I noticed was new carpet. Further inspection showed that the desk and dresser were nice and clean, the beds were firm and comfortable and the bathroom was clean. The bathroom is in need of an update, but everything worked. The TV was old (I couldn't care less) but worked. I slept very soundly here.

The next day we had the free breakfast. The room was large, there were 3 toasters and 2 waffle makers, cereal and fruit were abundant and the milk was ice cold. The attendant was working her tail off keeping everything clean and filled. The room overlooked a pleasant courtyard.

Front desk staff were very good and friendly. There is a busy Fridays Bar & Grill attached to the hotel and the pool looked fine.

Overall it was a good stay. Quality Inns are somewhat questionable these days, but this one is doing things correctly. $95 max is my estimate on what anyone should pay here. I got in for $81 and was satisfied.

Room Tip: Try to stay on the courtyard side.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
DanielR_880, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center, responded to this review, August 21, 2011
All Quality Inns are compelled to honor their "Committment to Satisfaction" pledge. We strive to meet the Brand Standards set forth by Choice Hotels and are very happy to hear from this reviewer that we have met that challenge. We will continue working hard to fulfill the expectations of all out guests and know that on this reviewers return visit, they will be satisfied once again. We thank the reviewer for their very kind acknowledgement and look forward to being of service in the near future.