“I couldn't even get thru booking a reservation”

The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Reviewed May 21, 2010

I wouldn't even stay there. I could not even get halfway thru booking a reservation. The receptionist taking my information was so rude and obnoxious. She acted like she didn't want to be doing her job.

Reviewed May 12, 2010

The rooms were cramped and outdated. The "resort and spa" is seriously over-rated. I had misfortune of staying here for a convention. The rooms are small. Closet was a recess in the with a curtain. The bathroom no no counterspace for my wife's "equipment". I would not recommend that anyone stay here. There are a myriad of hotels within two miles and they are much much closer to local eateries.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank chon
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2010

Thank you for your review.

Although some of our rooms are small, i wouldn't classify them as "Outdated and Nasty". If you've stayed in "boutique" style hotels before they tend to be very small. I am more concerned about them being cleaned rather than large or small. As far as "Outdated" our lobby, bar and restaurant areas are all new.

Ross Kornfeld

Reviewed May 3, 2010

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at the Woodlands for the weekend. To say that the whole staff courteous, is an understatement. They went out of their way to make us feel both special and comfortable. My wife was able to take advantage of Alexandre's Spa for a few hours while I was shuttled back and forth to the casino, one mile away. When they say the will be there in 5 minutes, they are literal. She enjoyed her time at the Spa and I won a few bucks. That evening we went to the Japanese restaurant on the premises. Fantastic! It has both hibachi and sushi dining. The sushi was unbelievable and the folks eating hibachi were having a great time watching the chef perform. After dinner you can head to one of two bars/nightclubs. The beauty of this was that it had something for everyone. From drink specials (this particular night, $1.00 per drink from 9-11PM, any drink) to the DJ in one bar and then going from there down the stairs to the sounds of a great top 40's live band at the other bar. A great topper to a great weekend. All in all, my feeling is that no matter what you like, who you are, or where you live, this place has something for everyone. Families, couples, or groups. Try the Woodlands, you won't be disappointed!!

1  Thank abalkin
Reviewed April 21, 2010

My review is long over due!! I'm a horrible procrastinator and even though I vowed to review the resort as soon as we got back home, here I am 4 months later.

Anyways, we spent new years eve at The Woodlands and LOVED it! The room was really clean and the bed was extremely comfortable.

The service was awesome! I don't know what all these reviewers encountered but the people that work there are very nice! They have a shuttle that takes you to the casino & will pick you up whenever you're ready. There's also a club in the resort which we loved! We had a lot of fun & we liked that we didn't even have to worry at all about driving, our room was right down the hall from everything. We didn't drive at all that whole weekend which was a nice change since we're used to driving so much everyday!

It is true that the walls are paper thin and you can hear the people in the hallways, but we didn't mind that. We were there to enjoy ourselves & get away from the routine.
The restaurants on the premises are extremely good!! The view is fantastic from the pizzeria & the Hibachi is one of the best we've ever had! The prices were reasonable too!

The pool and the jacuzzi are a little outdated, and they're definitely retouched in the pictures, but it didn't ruin our stay! We enjoyed spending time together at this place and have recommended it to friends who have already gone & enjoyed it just as much as we did.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank itsjuliezee
Reviewed April 18, 2010

We were looking forward to a weekend getting while our boys camped with the boys couts near by, however, the King bed was old and had holes in the box springs, so even though the linens and comforter were outstanding, I would have been more comfortable lying with them on the floor. Our room was very small and the veiw was of the highway not of anyrhing resembling a stream or anyother nature. Very Disappointing.

The staff was very helpful and courteous. The crowd at the bar made for interesting people watching. Was shocked to find out that the $50 gift cards given to us by the hotel as part of a package were worth only $40 since the hotel had bought too many of them in 2008 and the bank is now charging a $2.50 non use fee. The manager apologized and provided the explanation indicating they knew the cards were losing value and they handed them out anyways. They did credit our room when it was brought to their attention. Food at the Japanese Steak House and Crizenscos was good and service was good. Not overpriced at all.

Value for the room was not as expected, some locals we met indicated their are better places to stay plus I would have probably been more satisified to stay at the nearby major chain hotel.

Would not return nor recommend this hotel to anyone - not worth the $$$$.

3  Thank SteelersFan3
Reviewed April 16, 2010

My wife and I stayed in the bridal suite for a quick getaway from the kids etc. The room was clean, comfortable and exactly what we were looking for. The bed was extremely large and cozy. The in room jacuzzi was great, although maybe a little slow to fill but we didnt care. The dual showerheads were great and we want a shower like that at home. We didnt experience any excessive noise or stuff out of the ordinary that disturbed us.
We ate dinner at the Shogun Japanese Steakhouse. Our reservations were honored on time and the food was excellent. The portions were generous and the service was above average.
We visited the pizza bar, executive lounge and club Evolution. The bartender at the executive lounge made a sample drink for my wife (wilkes barre punch?) and thats all she ordered the rest of the night. All clubs were great fun and safe.
Being in law enforcement, I took the time to talk with many of the security officers on duty. They handled themselves professionally and seemed quite aware and competant.
I rate this place as A-plus for folks looking to have a good time away. If you are a stick in the mud....stay at Holiday Inn.

1  Thank otguy2003
Reviewed April 16, 2010

I would not recommend staying at this hotel. They will find any excuse to keep your $100.00 deposit. Don't bother asking to speak to the owner...he is extremely rude & nasty. After explaining the situation, he actually started yelling at me. This is definately not a customer friendly hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank sandpiper27
sammaya, owner at The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2010

This guest was part of a sorority/fraternity group. Each guest signs a letter outlining what is expected of them regarding smoking, noise, and or damage. If it is determined that there was a problem, the guest will forfeit their damage deposit.

Most of our guests receive their deposits back the next day.