“!”

Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Irwin, PA
“!”
Reviewed March 27, 2010

PA Junior Wrestling State Tournament was held 3/25 -3/27/2010. Children from the entire state came together to show their talents. If they stayed @ the Woodlands that was not the only talent that was exposed! A private "party" occupied the first 3 floors which consisted of "for hire" women and a very distinguishable illegal odor in the stairwell. How can you have a private party on 3 floors when there is only 1 elevator to accomodate all floors which included numerous parents and children staying on the floors above??? This stay was totally inappropriate on behalf of the staff that allowed this disgusting behavior to take place knowing that there were families occupying the majority of the rooms over this weekend.

They state that it is quiet - bull! The nightclub music and crowd could be heard in our room until 2 am! The nightclub goers were ignorant and inconsiderate ~ urinating in the parking lot, yelling vulgar words, standing outside at various locations making out ~ apparently insensitive to the people paying to stay in the rooms within the complex.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Irwin_PAWrestlingmom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
New Kensington
Reviewed March 26, 2010

Your inn was recommended to me by one of your employees (Dave Moore) who suggested we try the Woodlands before an express hotel that was closer to our business destination. Although the drive was further to our training site, it was well worth it. I was especially pleased with the quality of dining and atmosphere that was provided by your facility. It is a surprisingly scenic location with a deck overlooking the stream that is kind of hidden from other commerce in the area. "The Woodlands" is a very fitting name for your place. This would be a great place for those who do not want to travel else where for dinning or activities.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
PA
Reviewed March 22, 2010

Upon arrival I thought the hotel was great. It has a great view and the rooms where clean. During the night I did not sleep very well, the beds where too small and uncomfortable. I was with a group of college students for a banquet. My room had a balcony that was attached to two other rooms as well. When I checked out in the morning they withheld my security deposit claiming that there was damage done to the balcony. After explaining that no one from my room had done the damage I was treated rudely and informed that there was no way that I was getting my security deposit back. The front desk manager went on to tell us that we had a noise complaint (which we were unaware of until then, and was hard to believe since we were asleep at 11). When I explained this she basically called us liars and said "Do you know how many times I am given that excuse." So after all of this they still came up with another reason to not give us our money back. We had our furniture out on the balcony. 1. We were never told we could not have it out there and it is not in writing anywhere I can find. (not the room or the website) 2. We brought it in before we went to sleep that night so that the furniture would not get ruined 3. I know other people from our group that had theirs' outside as well but still received their deposits back.

To sum it up I honestly believe that if I was older I would not have been treated this way and that The Woodlands will find anyway to take your money.

• Stayed March 2010
sammaya, owner at The Woodlands Inn, responded to this review, March 28, 2010
We have been renting rooms to fraternity and sorority groups for over 20 years. We require a $100.00 security deposit for such things as damage, noise and excessive cleanup.

In most cases the groups are very respectful, when they are not, they forfeit their deposit.

PA
Reviewed March 21, 2010

I was infuriated upon leaving the hotel and being treated as though I am an irresponsible teenager simply because I am young and the member of a sorority. I was forced to forfeit a $100 deposit despite the fact that there was no damage to my room and there was no noise complaint relayed to me or the other occupants of the room. It is not my fault that this hotel is built with shared balconies and therefore it is not my responsibility what people in connected rooms do on those shared balconies. I am responsible for my room and my room only. I will never use this facility for any event or stay ever again. I am a mature and responsible paying guest and I do not deserve to be treated with such disrespect by members of management. It's called the hospitality business for a reason.

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank CLH18
bigguy2012
Reviewed March 21, 2010

As the parent of a college student that attended a banquet at this facilitythe hospitality of the manager is highly lacking. The deposit was withheld upon checkout without any proof of damage or complaint pretaining to her specific room. The manager then claimed that the rooms next to them might have caused the damage but that to bad. As a frequent traveler I am not responsible for damages caused but others and nor will I allow a Manager of a business withhold a deposit from my daughter without proof of causation. This is no way to run a Hotel and would like to say Stay at this resort at your own risk. They are not hospitable to thier guests and when questioned about it are very rude and say things like its to bad and this will not be discussed. DON'T STAY Here unless you want to pay double for a room!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank bigguy2012
sammaya, owner at The Woodlands Inn, responded to this review, March 26, 2010
Aren't you supposed to be an actual guest of the hotel to qualify writing a review. I know as an owner we have to carefully word our responses for it to be posted.
New Jersey
Reviewed February 22, 2010

The Woodlands Inn and Resort provided me with a very comfortable stay. The hotel was clean and the service was outstanding. I'll be back. Thanks Woodlands.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed February 20, 2010

We enjoyed our stay at the Woodlands. It is in a nice location, the rooms are clean (however our room was somewhat small, but fine for one night), and it has two nice restaurants. I definitely recommend dinner at the Shogun, as our meal was delicious (Hibachi). The staff at the Woodlands are friendly and courteous. It was an overall good experience, but it you do not plan on going to the nightclub, request a room that is as far away from it as possible. We could hear the music from the club in our room, which to some would be distressing. The indoor pool and jacuzzi area are also very nice. We went there in winter, but it seems like a wonderful place to visit in summer with the Havana Bar outside with a beautiful view of the stream.

Very nice atmosphere!!!