“LGBT Friendly”

The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Reviewed March 3, 2014

The woodlands is most definitely the place to be if you are LGBT.
Upon check in my wife and I were greeted by John with a friendly welcome to The Woodlands. Doug continued the check in process. We learned that there is an LGBT Club/Bar down the street called Twist.

We explored the hotel for a few minutes and hit Shogun which has delicious food. Then we visited the jacuzzi. Neithernshogun nor Creschenzos were disappointments.

Montage Mountain was only a 20 minute drive and was a spectacularly fun time. The warm jetted jacuzzi was a relief for the sore snow muscles.

When we went to Twist we met Estella Sweet and John Dawe. We instantly felt like we belonged there. Everyone made it a point to welcome us.
After we left Twist we went back to The Woodlands and once we got to our room there was a gift basket with pride flags and balloons. Kudos to John Dawe for everything. Out stay was simply amazing. We didnt stop smiling for a single second the entire time we were there.
We will most certainly be back and most certainly recommend The Woodlands and Twist to everyone and to the LGBT community.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank msmith1991
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing such a great review. We pride ourselves in providing excellent customer service and I am so glad that we followed through on that promise. Were you able to check out either one of our fabulous restaurants or pamper yourself in Alexander's Spa, if not, next time.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

I go to Pennsylvania once a month and need a hotel for when I stay. I decided to give the Woodlands a try.

On my last visit, I left a gift given to me by my in laws called 'The Baby Bullet' (a baby blender) in the room. I immediately called the next day to see if it was turned in. No one found anything, though they said they would keep looking. The following day, no one called me back, so I called the hotel again. I felt like I was being given the run around. I expressed my concern on the second day of my calling that it might have been thrown away, though they said not to worry. I called every day speaking to a different receptionist or manager, all of whom explained that they were still looking.

After TWO weeks of being handed off from one person to another, Melinda of all people finally accused me of lying. She stated that her housekeepers found the box but - IT WAS EMPTY!!! I immediately thought 'oh my goodness, a housekeeper stole my gift!'.

I thought it very peculiar that they would open the gift versus just handing it in the lost and found. Thoughts quickly ran through my head, then I asked a simple question to a not so simple person. I asked her HOW did they know the box was empty? Melinda told me they knew because of the weight of the box. I was appalled. The Baby Bullet IS light weight! I then asked Melinda if they LOOKED inside, as I thought it was VERY insulting that I was being accused of lying and odd that anyone would say a brand new gift not even taken out of the box was empty. She told me 'NO'. No one looked inside of the box. They just assumed the box was empty. It was because the box was light, I was accused of being called a liar.

I just about thought I heard it all. Here is a woman who calls herself a hotel manager accusing me of lying about the gift that was left in the hotel because the box was too light to have anything in it?!? Her snide responses didn't make the matter any easier to deal with.

Is this their idea of how to run a hotel specializing in hospitality, as hotels should and most all do? I was dumb enough to try explaining to her that the baby bullet is a lightweight product and probably would feel as though the box would be empty. I should have known better as this was falling completely on deaf ears. I ended the conversation by telling her that I would like Ross, the head manager to please call me. I never received that phone call. This hotel is a disgusting example of hospitality and should be ashamed of themselves.

I will note prior to having a problem, Melinda was actually very helpful in setting up my stay at the hotel. So I was very shocked to see a complete 180 from her. Next time I want to say to Hotel that treats their guests in a derogatory, insulting and dismissive way, I will stay here.

• Stayed: February 2014
8  Thank travelbug1894

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and I do apologize that we did not live up to the usual excellent standards that the majority of reviewers at TA talk about. I have made sure to share all of your feedback with our team.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

I and about 20 others stayed at the Woodlands last weekend for a retreat involving volunteers for an LGBT advocacy organization. We do this retreat yearly, and Woodlands has outshone our previous venues in terms of the quality and comfort of rooms, the high caliber of buffet food service (which can often be lackluster at corporate-style retreats), and especially the friendliness and attention to detail of the on-site staff. While the resort itself is mid-tier, the staff operates it like a high-end facility and clearly takes pride in it.

Highly recommended for family/couple weekend getaways, but especially for group retreats, meetings, and conferences.

Room Tip: Be sure not to room too close to the on-site nightclub if you have an early sleep time or value quie...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review. We truly appreciate the kind words surrounding your event and great comments about all staff members that you came in contact with. Tell all your friends and hopefully we'll see you again soon.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Spent the weekend at Woodlands Inn as part of a retreat for an organization I volunteer with. I've come to expect mediocrity from venues like this, but I was really pleasantly surprised by my stay! The space was great for our programming needs, the food was delicious, the facilities offered plenty of opportunity for entertainment, and the staff was always friendly and helpful. I definitely intend to come back in the future!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the great review. It's always nice to hear when somebody says "pleasantly surprised". We get that often. People that travel from bigger cities set their expectations a little lower when travelling to a secondary market.

Have you tried our "Winter 45" package. Book a two night stay for $199.00 and receive a $45 Crescenzo's gift card. Valid until 3/31/14. Check our website for details www.thewoodlandsresort.com.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I have been staying at the The Woodlands now for several years for business as well as pleasure and each time I stay I fall in love with the place more and more. It is simple, quaint, and extremely clean. You can spend a weekend and never leave. From the nightly entertainment to the the hot tube and pool, there is always a way to relax. Especially after a long day of working, to be able to sit outside on the deck, listen to waterfall and enjoy nice cold one.

The staff is absolutely wonderful. They are all extremely professional while be personable and caring. Thank you to Melinda who is one of the managers, Denise, John, Gwen, Nicole, and any of the other gals I am missing. You always make us feel so at home and comfortable whether I am there for business or pleasure.so thank you.

Your GM should be proud and grateful to have an incredible staff.

Room Tip: I like staying in the tower or the rooms closest to the sales office - there is allot traffic in the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We truly appreciate your feedback regarding your stay with us. We pride ourselves on superior customer service and I am glad to see that these team members went above and beyond to make your stay more comfortable. I'll be sure to share your feedback with them and their supervisors.

Book your "Golf and Stay" package by March 31, 2014 and mention "Think Spring Bonus" to receive a $5 Crescenzo's Restaurant voucher for each guest.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I was there for the first time as part of an annual retreat a volunteer organization I help out with has. For things like retreats and conferences the facilities are great, plenty of room and very well laid out. The coffee, snacks and provided meals were excellent and definitely a step up from standard conference fare - and as a vegetarian I'm used to the vegetarian options being rather lackluster, but what they provided incredibly good. Every staff member I dealt with was amazingly helpful. The rooms were very nice and in great shape. For off time the pool and jacuzzi are amazing.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Our small meeting and convention space can accommodate anywhere from the smallest group to over 1,000 guests. Wireless Internet and audio visual equipment to enhance any/all small or large meeting. Our staff is dedicated to offering top notch service throughout the process.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

We were looking for a place that all our guests would be comfortable with a few things to do near by. The Woodlands provided this and more. Starting with check-in everyone was kind and accommodating. We promptly dropped off our bags and headed over to the bar for some appetizers and drinks while we waited for the rest of our party. The food came fast and was very good, the bartender again just as friendly as the front desk and willing to help me figure out some tasty drinks. Onward to Shogun for dinner, we did hibachi and again everything was good and we had a good time with the others at the table. We also enjoyed dinner the next night at Crescenzos, great pizza! The hotel was kind enough to shuttle our party of 15 over to the hockey game and pick us up, which is a huge help if you've ever tried to get to the arena with the traffic. We also enjoyed the nightclub and live band with a little dancing and a late night pizza for a snack. The only thing we didn't get to was the spa, which is something I hope to try on our next get away weekend and if I can swing it a suite! I highly recommend this hotel for your visit. Thanks to everyone who helped make my husband's 50 bday special.

Room Tip: If you need an elevator, be sure to ask for the tower. The lower floor hallway is the path the most...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to fill out your review with such positive feedback! I have shared your comments with my staff, and they join me in thanking you for your kind words. We take pride in our hotel and the services we provide and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay.

Spa services would absolutely make your next stay even better. Be sure to book them in advance as the spa normally books up on weekends.

Kind Regards,

Owner
The Woodlands Inn
570-824-9831

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilkes-Barre
Mohegan Sun Pocono
Hampton Inn Tunkhannock
Hampton Inn Tunkhannock
#1 of 4 in Tunkhannock
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Wilkes Barre

Been to The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!