“Anywhere is better!”

Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Denver
“Anywhere is better!”
Reviewed August 26, 2008

RESORT?! Are you kidding. Resorts are supposed to be relaxing, tranquil and pampering. I left there needing a weekend away. Possibly the worst hotel expereince my family has ever had.

Rude staff, C- accomodations, smoke filled hallways, loud unruly "guests" pouring out in the halls at all hours.

Save yourself the hassle and check out ANY of the other nearby hotels. They may not carry the "resort" title but trust me, they will be so much more accomodating and every bit as resortlike.

• Liked — Leaving at the end of our stay.
  • Disliked — The whole experience was dreadful.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank LeoSac

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Harrisburg Area
Reviewed June 23, 2008

We requested a room with a streamside view, Queen bed in what they call the tower, when I first made the reservations 5 months in advance. When we arrived and entered our hotel room the room was extremely small, no bath, no cover for the ice bucket and barely had room to walk around the bed with our luggage in the room, And to top this off we had a horrible view of the parking lot. I went downstairs to the front desk and was told they couldn't do anything but would put me in a different room, the next room was just up on a higher floor with the same view of the same parking lot it also had a broken window shade. Again I went down and they again put me in another room which they said would be a better view, the window wasn't broken and the view was the other side of the parking lot! They have one ice machine for the entire "RESORT" it was in the lobby. They had four bars that were crowed with college kids or closed to the rest of us because of a wedding going on which took up three of them. In the morning we had to wait to eat breakfast because the one restaurant they had was reserved for the wedding party. The hotel or "RESORT" if you want to call it that was on a busy highway RTE 315 and in know way shape or form was it "in the woods" as discribed in the brochure or online. We were offered no kind of amenity due to the wrong room they gave us they didn't even say they were sorry. I will never return here or recommend this to anyone. I hope if you read this you take it seriously, I read a bad review and couldn't believe it could be that bad as what the people said ....please believe me it was awful. I was very disappointed at there customer service and feel we should have been offered some type of compensation, free meal, free day in the room something!

• Liked — When we could eat at the hotel the streamside view at the restaurant
  • Disliked — room size and view
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jmgpa
Arlington, VA
Reviewed June 1, 2008

We stayed at the hotel for a wedding nearby.

Having received our address from the bride & groom, the hotel mailed us a brochure advertising a tranquil, secluded stay surrounded by beautiful nature. The brochure is an absolute and intentional lie. The bars and clubs were thronged by hundreds of loud, drunk, obnoxious, and cheap-looking people until all hours of the night. The hotel located us in the room right next to the bar. The room was shaking from the bass music played at the bars until 2 am. This hotel should never have been built with any guest rooms near these noisy bars. The halls are also filled with smoke from the bars, posing a health hazard for allergic, asthmatic, or other guests with sensitivities.

The hotel is also completely unconcerned with parking for guests. When we returned from the wonderful wedding reception at lovely Newberry Estates, the parking lot was full of the cars of the bar- and club-goers. The parking security tried to be helpful, but there was not much he could do if the hotel was going to completely disregard guests' needs for parking spaces. It seems that a responsible hotel would dedicate spaces for overnight guests, but apparently that is not something the Woodlands is interested in doing.

When we complained at the front desk the next morning, the representative pretty much dismissed our complaints and bragged that the Woodlands has just about the largest liquor license in the entire state.

If the hotel had sent information that honestly represented itself as a huge nightspot, then we could have made a different decision. Certainly there are plenty of people who enjoy this type of scene and that's fine. If the hotel had not sent us any information, then it would have been our responsibility to find the information and make a decision. However, it is completely reprehensible for this hotel to send out information that so entirely misrepresents the nature of the establishment. It amounts to blatant deception.

If you want a hotel where you can actually get some sleep or if you just want to promote honest business practices, then DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!!

Stayed May 2008
2 Thank travel95dc
New Jersey
Reviewed April 28, 2008

If you're looking for a nice, relaxing time at a classy hotel this is not the place to go. If you're 21 and want to get really drunk, get into a fight and pass out in the hallway, this is the perfect place for you! It's non-stop drunk people roaming the hallways and being loud until about 5am. Someone actually kicked our door during a drunken fight around 4am. Totally ridiculous!

• Disliked — Noise until 5am
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Oneeyedjacks
PA
Reviewed April 6, 2008

We just returned from a wedding at The Woodlands and would warn all brides about the hotel. None of the guests rooms were ready, some not until late at night. The front desk staff was extremely rude and when asked about a hospitality suite to get ready for the reception, we were offered a conference room. We ended up getting our room so late, we missed the entire cocktail hour. The reception itself was very nicely done. We ended up on the 'fraternity/soriority party' floor. It was ridiculously loud until almost 5am, despite having a security guard standing 'on duty' at the end of the hall. It was very stressful for the bridal party (who still didn't have their room situation settled after the reception), family, friends and especially elderly relatives who need their sleep. The party went on in the halls and no one even asked them to be quiet. There are thousands of people there on the weekends to be at the bars and it was overrun. It is very wrong to promote this as a wedding reception destination and then cater only to the college and late-night crowd.

• Liked — wedding reception
  • Disliked — staff, noise, crowds
  • Stayed April 2008
1 Thank pagirl000
new jersey
Reviewed March 9, 2008

Let me start out by saying that I am hardly a newbie to travel and have seen my share of resorts and hotels. I am an avid researcher and after reading these reviews really had no intention of staying here. We stopped as a fluke because it was on the way to the hotel we had planned to stay at. I had looked at the website and the hotel seemed to have so much to offer it was nagging me in the back of my mind to go see for myself...so we did. Now let's be honest this is the Poconos PA not a 5 star resort community in a high end vacation spot. However...the hubby and I were looking for a quick Saturday night getaway with some good food, good jacuzzi, a little drunk music fun. This hotel had it all.

The front desk was very accomodating....suggested we stay in the tower (we were on the 7th floor) so we could avoid noise from the pool area and restaurant/club on the main level. The room was not huge...but newly renovated...spotless...great linens..modern bathroom..and nice flatscreen TV. It was a standard queen which for our needs worked...again not huge but big enough for comfort and I will take newly renovated and clean over big any day.

This was crowded with a nice mix of people.....again we were not looking for a quiet B&B. We were working for a place to have a little fun without have to trek all over the Pocono area to do it. The swimming pool and jacuzzi are HUGE and well maintained! We had dinner at the onsite and had some of the best sushi I have ever eaten. Live in NYC I have eaten in some pretty nice sushi houses and my meal here could compete. The restaurant was modern...the view of the stream was fantastic and romantic and the server was attentive. The singer lounge was certainly a "lounge singer" but he was so endearing it added to the ambience.

There are 4-5 bar areas...all with great views and varying amounts of crowds depending on your mood. There was a FANTASTIC band playing in one of the lower lever bars that we listend to for a bit after dinner. We then headed to the nearby Mohegan sun casino...again small and just slots but it is a mile form the hotel and a REALLY FUN way to spend a few hours. We then headed back to the hotel to the club. Was it crowded YES..was the security rude...ABSOLUTELY NOT...was it a mixed crowd...YES. Is it good cheezy fun for awhile YES!! I mean it is a club...it is supposed to be crowded if it is any good. We then headed to another area that was a martini bar/lounge with another DJ. Again fantastic..great drinks, great couches..GREAT DJ. I was spinning for house music that again as an old NYC club girl I could really appreciate how good he was. No cheezy music here..just some really good lounge music.

We then returned to our room...and saw evidence of any crazy loud nonsense going on our floor. We had a great nights stay...had a blast just jumping from event to event. It was so nice to have all this IN YOUR HOTEL!! We got all dressed up and really enjoyed how much energy the place had. I can not say enough about it...and all this for $139!! (we won some $$$ on the slots so our dinner and drink activities were "free").

We plan on coming back VERY SOON!! This was just to easy...and toooo much fun. Maybe we got lucky..I don't know...all I can tell you is how the experience was. Maybe after reading someone else with give it a shot too and have as good an experience.

So to sum up if you are looking for a super secluded, quiet B&B in the woods is this for you...NO. If you are looking for any of the above things I mentioned then head here...SOON!

• Liked — Variety of on-site entertainment
  • Disliked — Room could have been bigger
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank agv5150
Bethlehem
Reviewed January 10, 2008

After hearing from other people not to stay at the resort I took it upon myself to see why people felt that way. This is a horrible resort to stay at and I learned my lesson I will never ever ever stay at the hotel again. The club that the hotel owns called the evolution club is a waste of money. I have never been talked to in such a foul language the way their security talked to my friends and myself. Security at the club are actual cops, so they think they can talk to people however they want. I was at the club no longer than 15 minutes before they kicked us out for no reason, and they couldn't even tell us why we were getting kicked out. Probably because we are HISPANICS. The way security treated us was outrageous and so disrespectful. Calling us names and telling us were the F---- to go. The price you pay to stay there is not worth it at all. The rooms are very small. The pictures on the website are not really what the room looks like. If you want to take a clean shower woodlands is not the place to be. The water was coming out with a brownish color like it was dirty. The water from the shower leaks all over the bathroom floor. What a terrible weekend at the woodlands. i do not recommand this hotel to anybody. NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY EVERYBODY TOLD ME NOT TO STAY THERE OR GO TO THEIR CLUB. LOOK AT ALL THEIR REVIEWS THEY HAVE MORE BAD THAN GOOD. THAT SAYS ALOT ABOUT THE RESORT.I don't understand how the resort is a three star hotel. It should be a one star if any stars.I WILL NEVER RETURN BACK.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — How rude the people are that work there
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple