“Horrible Check in!!!!!!!!”

The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

I decided to stay at the woodlands to relax and enjoy a night off from my duties at work. The front desk lady who had rather large holes in her ears that you can see through was very disrespectful! She didn't smile and welcome us appropriately. She took our credit card and gave us our room key without explaining what time checkout was, what restaurants were in the resort and never said anything about wifi. I don't know what was going on in her life but she needs to find a new job and customer service is not one of them!!! We are the guests and perception is everything!!! Besides her, the rest of the staff was great and it is a nice place to get away for a weekend. The food was great!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Ad1horne
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay. I am shocked to read your comments. Although I respect what you have to say, the clerk in mention has been nothing short of terrific and has received rave reviews from other guests. I will be meeting with her in the near future to discuss this matter.

Thank you again for the honest feedback.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

This was my 2nd visit to this resort in the past month. The front desk has great customer service skills from check in to check as well as the driver that transfers us to casino.
The room: tower, clean, 2 double beds with nice comfy bedding, coffee keurig and bottled water , no refrigerator. We choose this resort because of the variety of things offered from: Hot tub, pool, spa, entertainment and complimentary transfers to the casino. We ended up back at the resort Executive lounge to listen to the band The Chatter. Great band my daughter that is 21 even enjoyed we are planning a visit back when they are there again...

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Dear DMCPA:

Thank you for writing a review. So glad you enjoyed the resort and the many amenities we provide. You can check our website thewoodlandsresort.com for information on upcoming performers in our Executive Lounge. During your next visit you can try Alexander's in the Woods for a little pampering, the spa menu can also be found on our website.

Please visit us again soon.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Place was nice enough. However upon returning home and checking bank statement they charged us 70.00 more than our bill stated upon checking out. called the place and was told that it was an incidental charge and the money would be held for 10 days (ridiculous) and there was nothing they could do about it. I was furious. They charge you assuming you've destroyed something in the room. Not very fair. what gives them the right to put a hold on my money? I will not be staying here again. What a shame!!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mbernard67

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your honest feedback about your experience. The authorization hold is the practice within the banking industry of authorizing electronic transactions done with a credit or debit card and holding this balance as unavailable. In the case of debit cards, authorization holds can fall off the account anywhere from 1-5 business days after the transaction date depending on the bank's policy.

If you would like further explanation please don't hesitate to call me directly.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

I am often too critical of employees of business, I just can't patronize and establishment and not care what kind of service I receive. My stay last night at the Woodlands Inn was no different, I did not encounter one employee that disappointed me and left the hotel this morning very pleased.

I worked at a night club years ago in Binghamton NY and always remembered groups of regulars talking about going to the Woodlands, I always wondered what, where and how it was other than that it was an hour down the road in Scranton. My girlfriend and I are both hospitality graduates, her being employed in the industry and me now running my own rental property, we both enjoy visiting hotels and restaurants for the obvious reasons as well as experiencing the field we have a passion for. So when we needed a one night get away not far from home I finally decided to check out the Woodlands Inn in Wilkes Barre. For a fair rate I booked a room for just last night and wish we could have stayed longer. The guy at check in was very good, the security staff friendly, the staff at Crescenzo's was great from yesterday evening to this afternoon. I say this afternoon because we got almost all the way back to binghamton and realized that we left a necklace on the table in the room, which we were able to get back after we traveled back, but I needed an americano from the espresso bar before we took back off. We met who appeared to be a sales staff or banquet management while they were setting up for a function and he was very friendly and informative as well. Our bartender at Crescenzos last night was ok but left some friendliness to be desired, maybe it was the counting the drawer 30 minutes before close that meant we should have left? The staff does a great job keeping the night club and bar scene out of the hotel, something of which I read a couple times in reviews on various sites was an issue, i saw no issues. Our front desk agent in the morning while friendly, was a bit stiff, but professional. The indoor hot tub and pool looked great but we were not prepared to use. The property was well kept, I can't imagine maintaining such a property and maintaining an affordable experience for its guests so recognition is due for their pride in maintenance. We even peaked at the night club during day hours with all the lights on and It looked to be well kept for the most part especially since night clubs look their worst with all the lights on. parking is a bit tight out front, especially in a big truck but there was always a spot (it did look like an employee (just assuming) parked in the fire zone at one point which is a huge pet peeve of mine, I believe employees should park well away of any spot a guest might need). Before we took off (for the second time) I used the rest room just outside the night club and back entrance and checked out the stalls and urinals and have to say I was impressed at the cleanliness after a friday night, I witnessed first hand almost 15 years ago how hard it is to run a Hotel with a Night LIfe scene attached to it. The woodlands does a great job at this. I have already recruited my brother and his wife to join us in a quick get a way to the woodlands in the next few months. One last thought is I wish I could have seen the resort when it appeared to be more of a resort with the cabins on the hill (which appear to be monthly rentals to locals, employees etc, once again an assumption), it looks like the area surrounding it is more commercial than it was back in the day and its more of a hotel than resort like you would find next to a ski resort now a days but regardless a great experience the Woodlands offers. The shopping and restaurant selection around Wilkes Barre is surprisingly satisfying as well.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stevestevesteve
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear stevestevesteve:

We appreciate all the great comments. Can't wait for you to come back with more family and friends. The more the merrier. There's a great concert at F.M. Kirby Center on February 22nd, The Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Book our Got Your Tickets Package if you're interested in going. You get the tickets, we provide the ride to/from the concert. Call or book 800-762-2222 or on-line at thewoodlandsresort.com.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

I recently traveled by myself from Maine to Chicago with my little French Bulldog and a 106 pound Great Dane - it's not easy to find dog friendly accommodations that will accept a dog over 50 pounds.

The Woodlands Inn were both accommodating and very dog friendly. They were extremely helpful and all of the staff are wonderful. They gave us a room with a sliding glass door that led to the outdoor walking area that included poop bag stations!

I was immensely impressed by the staff and the property and will definitely return on my trip back. I highly recommend it for anyone staying with dogs!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Logan P

Dear Logan P:

Thank you for the kind review regarding our pet accommodations. We have so many pet lovers on our staff, they love when guests bring their pets. We are in the process of re-doing our pet rooms and the services we'll provide both the pets and their owners. We will communicate the new policy once the changes take effect.

Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

I brought my two elementary school age children over the recent holiday season and we had a blast! The staff is friendly and helpful and the jacuzzi is lots of fun! Good food on the premises, a great view of the river, and fun stuff to do nearby. Sonic, the Pines Mall, Barnes and Noble, and Chuck E. Cheese, all only about a mile away.

Stayed: January 2014

Dear Reviewer:

Thank you for the wonderful review, our staff goes out of there way to make sure each and every guest has a wonderful time. The Jacuzzi is definitely one of the highlights, what better way to relax than in a 17,000 gallon hot tub. Next time your in town with your children you can experience a hockey game at the arena, maybe skiing or tubing at Montage Mountain.

Come back soon.

Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

This was our 3rd trip to the woods and brought our 2 young (1 and 3) children along.

Everything was very clean and accommodating, very happy with the resort.

See my other reviews about our experience which was great great great. I respect this hotel because it is still managed very well and the owners and staff are genuinely nice, it is no act.

Ownership is directly involved in the hotel and restaurants and I know they read all these reviews. This is why, although still very happy, I do have 3 little items I noticed.

When you travel with young children you become more sensitive to a few things. Such as: 1. the hallways and elevators were FREEZING. Don't know why. 2. My children could not spend a lot of time in the pool because the air in the pool area and the water were too cold, we had to take the kids into jacuzzi area ( which is always awesome and warm). 3. I booked my standard room 6 months before arriving, the room I received, very nice, but it was a corner room that had an angle of the room cut off causing the room to be VERY small for a family of 4 with a crib. I made it clear upon reservation, confirmation and check in that we were 4 and needed a crib. The standard room would have been fine, but that corner missing from the room was tough to deal with for a 5 night stay.

Although these are some complaint s I want to be clear that they are very small items and would not stop me from going back.

My wife and I are already going to rebook for February 2014. "Meet me in the Woods"

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Supermario:

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We really appreciate all the honest feedback, the angled rooms in the tower section can be tight especially with 4 people and a crib. If this happens again just let us know upon arrival and we'll do our best to accommodate you.

I have expressed your other concerns with our maintenance supervisor so he can take a look at the heat in the hallways and pool area.

Hope to see you in February.

Ross Kornfeld

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilkes-Barre
Mohegan Sun Pocono
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Wilkes Barre
Hampton Inn Tunkhannock
Hampton Inn Tunkhannock
#1 of 4 in Tunkhannock

Been to The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!