“Thought it was fantastic not sure why the bad reviews.”

The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Reviewed March 9, 2008

Let me start out by saying that I am hardly a newbie to travel and have seen my share of resorts and hotels. I am an avid researcher and after reading these reviews really had no intention of staying here. We stopped as a fluke because it was on the way to the hotel we had planned to stay at. I had looked at the website and the hotel seemed to have so much to offer it was nagging me in the back of my mind to go see for myself...so we did. Now let's be honest this is the Poconos PA not a 5 star resort community in a high end vacation spot. However...the hubby and I were looking for a quick Saturday night getaway with some good food, good jacuzzi, a little drunk music fun. This hotel had it all.

The front desk was very accomodating....suggested we stay in the tower (we were on the 7th floor) so we could avoid noise from the pool area and restaurant/club on the main level. The room was not huge...but newly renovated...spotless...great linens..modern bathroom..and nice flatscreen TV. It was a standard queen which for our needs worked...again not huge but big enough for comfort and I will take newly renovated and clean over big any day.

This was crowded with a nice mix of people.....again we were not looking for a quiet B&B. We were working for a place to have a little fun without have to trek all over the Pocono area to do it. The swimming pool and jacuzzi are HUGE and well maintained! We had dinner at the onsite and had some of the best sushi I have ever eaten. Live in NYC I have eaten in some pretty nice sushi houses and my meal here could compete. The restaurant was modern...the view of the stream was fantastic and romantic and the server was attentive. The singer lounge was certainly a "lounge singer" but he was so endearing it added to the ambience.

There are 4-5 bar areas...all with great views and varying amounts of crowds depending on your mood. There was a FANTASTIC band playing in one of the lower lever bars that we listend to for a bit after dinner. We then headed to the nearby Mohegan sun casino...again small and just slots but it is a mile form the hotel and a REALLY FUN way to spend a few hours. We then headed back to the hotel to the club. Was it crowded YES..was the security rude...ABSOLUTELY NOT...was it a mixed crowd...YES. Is it good cheezy fun for awhile YES!! I mean it is a club...it is supposed to be crowded if it is any good. We then headed to another area that was a martini bar/lounge with another DJ. Again fantastic..great drinks, great couches..GREAT DJ. I was spinning for house music that again as an old NYC club girl I could really appreciate how good he was. No cheezy music here..just some really good lounge music.

We then returned to our room...and saw evidence of any crazy loud nonsense going on our floor. We had a great nights stay...had a blast just jumping from event to event. It was so nice to have all this IN YOUR HOTEL!! We got all dressed up and really enjoyed how much energy the place had. I can not say enough about it...and all this for $139!! (we won some $$$ on the slots so our dinner and drink activities were "free").

We plan on coming back VERY SOON!! This was just to easy...and toooo much fun. Maybe we got lucky..I don't know...all I can tell you is how the experience was. Maybe after reading someone else with give it a shot too and have as good an experience.

So to sum up if you are looking for a super secluded, quiet B&B in the woods is this for you...NO. If you are looking for any of the above things I mentioned then head here...SOON!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank agv5150
There are newer reviews for The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel

Reviewed January 10, 2008

After hearing from other people not to stay at the resort I took it upon myself to see why people felt that way. This is a horrible resort to stay at and I learned my lesson I will never ever ever stay at the hotel again. The club that the hotel owns called the evolution club is a waste of money. I have never been talked to in such a foul language the way their security talked to my friends and myself. Security at the club are actual cops, so they think they can talk to people however they want. I was at the club no longer than 15 minutes before they kicked us out for no reason, and they couldn't even tell us why we were getting kicked out. Probably because we are HISPANICS. The way security treated us was outrageous and so disrespectful. Calling us names and telling us were the F---- to go. The price you pay to stay there is not worth it at all. The rooms are very small. The pictures on the website are not really what the room looks like. If you want to take a clean shower woodlands is not the place to be. The water was coming out with a brownish color like it was dirty. The water from the shower leaks all over the bathroom floor. What a terrible weekend at the woodlands. i do not recommand this hotel to anybody. NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY EVERYBODY TOLD ME NOT TO STAY THERE OR GO TO THEIR CLUB. LOOK AT ALL THEIR REVIEWS THEY HAVE MORE BAD THAN GOOD. THAT SAYS ALOT ABOUT THE RESORT.I don't understand how the resort is a three star hotel. It should be a one star if any stars.I WILL NEVER RETURN BACK.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2007

I stayed at the Woodlands thinking it was going to be a great, quiet weekend in the Poconos. There was no woods, no quiet, and I wound up having to switch rooms 4 times in the span of a few hours. The hotel is undergoing renovations & the plumbing sucks. The shower curtains are too short & water runs onto the floor when you shower. The toilets run constantly & there are no closets unless you are in a suite or on some of the select ground floor rooms. There is no elevator unless you are in the tower, so pack light. It's very noisy. Won't stay again.

• Stayed: November 2007
2  Thank BeachgoerDC
Reviewed October 9, 2007

I would not wish this hotel on my worst enemy. The staff is rude, there is not parking, the rooms are dirty.

DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 2, 2007

This "resort" is PARTY CAPITAL for Wilkes Barre, PA with it's multiple clubs and bars. Until 2:00AM you'll definitely here the music in your room, BUT the trouble really begins when the clubs close @ 2AM and the parties continue in the halls and rooms.

Stayed two nights for a wedding and hardly slept at all with all the noise. Complained to the Front Desk but the quiet only lasts for a short time and the revelries continue on.

Hotel doesn't give a crap about infrequent out of town guests - caters to the partiers who fill the place up on weekends and take over.

Do yourself a HUGE favor and stay at the Hampton Inn about two minutes away

Stayed: September 2007
3  Thank blearyeyes
Reviewed September 30, 2007

This hotel is actually right off a main road, with huge blinking and flashing signs. so If your looking for a quite hotel in the woods... this is not the place. even though they advertise it as................."Our hotel is situated along the beautiful Laurel Run Stream on 40 wooded Pocono acres."

Our non-smoking room reeked of smoke. We didint go into the pool or jacuzzi because they were very dirty.

We will not be going back.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ladyloca
Reviewed September 19, 2007

When I read negative reviews on this website I am sometimes surprised how vehement they are. I read negative reviews but booked this place anyway and am glad I did. It's in a good location - we were there for an ice skating show and that was only a couple miles away. There are lots of chain restaurants nearby, but the woman at the front desk actually pointed us towards a very nice independent restaurant right up the road. We had drinks at the bar but the smoke chased us away. We did check out the indoor pool and huge jacuzzi which are nice. We stayed in the Presidential Suite - named that because Pres. Bush (the younger) and his wife actually stayed there in 2004. Sitting room with refrigerator, dining area, and sitting area, and bedroom had king-size bed and flat screen TV as well as large jacuzzi (although it was surrounded by mirrors - wonder if Bush went in there?). One thing you cannot beat is the room service - I travel quite a bit for work and know what room service costs. I think we managed to eat dinner via room service for under $30! (We did have our own wine.) The room service was so good and inexpensive that we also ordered room service breakfast.

For more info and to see our pictures go to [--]

• Stayed: March 2007