“Horrible...First & LAST time to stay here!!!”

Ramada Whitehall/Allentown
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitehall
Reviewed July 11, 2011

6/25 & 6/26/2011 - I was a walk in on a late Saturday night / Sunday morning (12:30AM). I'm told that they can't do any better than $100 for the night. I mean c'mon...it's almost 1AM, and you're charging that much for what, 10 hours?
The first room (#160) wasn't bad at all until I went to the bathroom and pulled the shower curtain open...see pictures...TOTALLY GROSS!!! I have no idea who or what was going on in that shower/tub before me...and I certainly didn't want to know either. ANd to think that houskeeping maid thought it was totally OK and placed the folded bath mat, soaps, and shampoo on the side of the tub. So I walk down to the front desk, explain what was wrong, and request another room...(#143). Everything fell on deaf ears...no offer to give me discount, didn't ask to see the tub...what you'd typically expect from a hotel manager at 1AM... So before packing everything back up to move, I decided to open the door to 143, get the A/C running, etc. I open the door, and the huge smell of mold, must, and or smoke all in one, was unbearable. So back to the front desk again. Now very frustrated, I said the to the lady manager, you’re going to have to do much much better than this because this is ridiculous!!! She gives me a room on the opposite side of the hotel (#201?). Again, I go to check it out, and it seems safe. Clean bathroom, no musty/mold smells…so back to 160 to get the Mrs., and our things and off to sleep.
Again, no compensation, discount, free breakfast, nothing than standard, Oh, I’m sorry about that…
No wonder I try my best to stay at Marriott properties. Ramada…you’re the worst. I’d rather sleep in my car!

Room Tip: Go to any of the Marriott properties off of Airport Rd., or even the Red Roof Inn!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Bimbus11

Reviewed July 1, 2011

We stayed at the Ramada Inn in Allentown for three nights during the last week of June. My husband’s two brothers and their wives also stayed for the same amount of time. We had a room with a king bed and they had a room with two queen beds. I was pleasantly surprised with our rooms, they were clean, did not smell from old smoke, mildew or air freshener, it was just clean. We had no problem with checking in we were supposed to get a credit for something and they immediately took care of it.

The pool was nice but they were still having a lot of problems trying to clear it up more. The winter did a number on the pool for sure but we were assured that it was safe so we enjoyed a swim on two separate days.

Breakfast was adequate, I like yogurt so I was happy all three days. They did have pancakes, French toast, cereal with milk, sweet rolls, bagels, bread for toasting and apples and oranges. Of course they also had coffee and four kinds of juice.

The staff working here at this hotel was very nice and accommodating. We will be visiting PA again and will plan on staying at this same hotel in the future.

I had one problem with the high speed wireless internet it did not work for me in the room of any place else I had to use the computer in the lobby, which for what I needed it for wasn’t that big of a deal.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 4, 2011

I have been staying at this hotel every week for business and have always had a great stay. I have always had great service from the staff as they have made me feel at home. The rooms are always very clean and well maintained. I really feel some of the negative reviews are exaggerated and uncalled for. I give the staff and management of this hotel two thumbs up!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank jrhodes6
Reviewed June 1, 2011

Me and My husband stayed there in May over a weekend, even though it was difficult to find the over all stay was excellent. from the moment we checked in the front desk greeted us with a smile and helped us with everything we needed. The rooms are a nice size and very clean. We even asked for extra towels and they were brought to us. The pool was also open, nice size pool with food and beverage at poolside. Over all the experience was great and they will definitely be seeing us in July.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Love283466
Reviewed May 31, 2011

This hotel is poorly managed, the rooms whereas they are clean, many of the rooms have poor repair jobs done to them, which ruins the look of the rooms. The staff for the most part of friendly, however do not seem to have a clue how to run a hotel. The Front Desk and management are not professional at all, not something you'd expect at a Ramada. Front Desk personnel eating at the desk, watching their children whom are with them at work, and overall disorganized. I saw another customer down at the front desk because they sold his room while he was in it, and gave keys to another party whom entered his room. For the prices they are asking I'd stay anywhere else besides there. I wouldn't pay more than $40 a night for a weekend which is what you'd pay at the Super 8 or Motel 6. The Internet is HORRIBLE!!! You'd be better on dial-up speed.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 30, 2011

I brought a group of 12 to stay at the Ramada Allentown/Whitehall.

At first I was very excited to stay there, as the pictures on the internet looked quite nice.
I originally booked rooms via Priceline for one night (name your own price), for $50 per night ($57 with taxes/fees), which I thought was a great deal. After the intial booking it turned out that I needed the rooms for a second night. I didn't want to risk Priceline putting me in a different hotel, so I called the hotel directly to book.

I spoke with Hillary at the front desk who told me I could book the extra night for $72 (plus taxes). I told her I would check with the rest of the group and call her back. I called her back approximately 10 minutes later and she said "great - but the computer has changed things, and now the rate is $80 plus taxes".

I protested a bit, because she had just given me the rate 10 minutes ago. She said there was nothing she could do. I asked if I could speak to a manager, and she said no one was available. I asked if she could call a manager, and she said the manager was busy "running around all day trying to get their pool open", so she couldn't bother him or her.

I decided not to book the rooms via Hillary, so I went online to the Wyndam website. The website offered the $72 rate, and I booked the rooms. I would have though Hillary could have simply taken care of it at the hotel, without me having to contact Wyndam directly.

The next day I called the hotel to make sure they “combined” the reservations, as I didn’t want to be in the position of having to check out of one set of rooms and check in to another set of rooms. The person I spoke with said they had no record of my reservation – even though I had a confirmation number. The person at the hotel suggested I call Wyndam directly to have them send the details of the reservation over to the hotel. I said “ isn’t that the purpose of a confirmation number – if there are any issues shouldn’t you call them”? The person said if I wanted to make sure the reservation information was received, I should call Wyndam myself.

I called Wyndam, and they found the reservation information immediately. They said the hotel should have received it the day before. I said they didn’t, so could you please re-send it, and the Wyndam rep said they couldn’t resend it, they would have to transfer me to another department. Two transfers later I found a rep who said they would take care of it.

I called the hotel back 30 minutes later, and was told they still didn’t have any information about the second reservation. I asked to speak with a manager, and I was given “Terry”. Terry said that they wouldn’t receive information from Wyndam for about 15 minutes after the reservation was made. I told her that the reservation was made the previous business day, and then my follow-up call (at the hotel’s request) was made to Wyndam 30 minutes ago.

She said that even though she didn’t have the reservation information, she would “take care of it”. I finally thought I found someone who was willing to go the extra step for the customer. All I asked for was that she make the room reservation for Friday, the same as our Priceline reservation for Saturday, which was two rooms that were connecting and two rooms that were not connecting. She said we were “all set”.

Later that evening we checked in, and Hillary was on duty again. When she gave us our keys I reminded her that two of the rooms needed to be connecting (I was traveling with kids). Hillary said “that’s not what the computer shows, and we are sold out of connecting rooms”.

I calmly explained to her that Terry was to have take care of everything, and Hillary said she didn’t. After additional searching (effort) on Hillary’s part, she was able to find two connecting rooms. I reminded her that they were supposed to be non-smoking rooms, and she assured me that they were.

She gave us our keys and we started heading down the hallway. No directions were given on her part, so we simply started walking down the hallway opposite the front desk. Hillary obviously saw us heading in that direction, as there were no other patrons in the lobby. As you have probably guessed by now, we were heading in the wrong direction.

After 5-10 minutes of searching in the wrong wing of the hotel. We found our way back to the lobby. We asked Hillary where our rooms were, and she pointed to a hallway behind the check-in counter. That would have been very useful information 10 minutes earlier when arrived.

During the check-in process, Hillary informed us that they would put a hold on the credit card of approximately 150% of the cost of the room, to cover incidentals and damages. With four rooms, this was a substantial amount. She said that they inspect all of the rooms for damages at checkout, and we would be charged if anything was found. I was okay with that, if not a little surprised, but I knew we had no intention of damaging the rooms. You’ll be able to see from some of the pictures I posted about the quality of the rooms we were in. There were burns on part of the carpet, the closet door was off its track, there were nails or screws popping through the ceiling and in one room the window was cracked and covered over with duct tape. It was night when we checked in, and the blinds were closed, so I didn’t see the cracked window until the next morning.

One room had no soap or shampoo, and no light bulbs in one of the lamps. Three of the four rooms didn’t have a refrigerator which I was told was standard.

I called the front desk, and Hillary said she would send up soap and shampoo. I called a few minutes later when I noticed the light bulbs, and no one answered. After multiple rings, I walked down to the lobby and Hillary was outside the hotel entrance smoking.

I asked the maintenance man in the hallway about light bulbs and the refrigerator, and he said he would take care of the light bulb, but to call the front desk again for the refrigerator, which I did. I didn’t catch his name, but he was the most helpful individual of the entire staff during our stay.

We finally get the soap, shampoo, refrigerator, light bulbs etc taken care of. Now we open the fourth room, and it reeks of smoke, and fresh smoke at that. I take another trip down to the front desk, and Hillary says she can send someone to put an air freshener in the room. I said no way. After a small protest on my part, Hillary agreed to give us a new room.
There was another person behind the front desk by now, and I asked her if she would smell the room as well. She accompanied me to the room, and she agreed that it was unacceptable. It was a horrible smell.

The next morning we went to the free continental breakfast. Nothing great, but okay because it was free. They had pancakes, but no eggs, bacon, sausage, etc. Just pancakes, toast, Danish etc.

I then went to the front desk to make sure we were “all set” for the transition from our Wyndam reservation to our Priceline reservation. The desk clerk looked at things in the computer and said “you’re all set”.

Later that day we arrive back at the hotel, and none of our 8 room keys worked. I went to the front desk, and they said the “system” had checked us out. They made new keys for us, and in the great scheme of things it wasn’t a huge inconvenience, but when added up with everything else on the trip it was the type of issue I had come to expect from the Ramada Allentown/Whitehall.

I checked out the next morning and asked for a receipt. I was told I couldn’t get a receipt because everything was pre-paid on Priceline. I reminded them that our first night was paid via credit card, so Terry printed copies of the receipts and after a few minutes we were able to head on our way.

Later that day my son said that he left his phone charger at the hotel. This was most certainly his fault, but in his defense he had plugged it in behind the refrigerator because there were only 3-4 outlets in the entire room - all of which had either the TV, lamp, clock, or refridgerator plugged in. We went back to the hotel approximately 4 hours after we checked out and approached the desk clerk. The clerk looked in their lost and found and didn’t find it, so she made us a key to go check the room. We checked the room, and the charger was not there.

I stopped by the housekeeping station, and found our housekeeper. She said that she did remember picking up the charger, and she gave it to “Linda”. She then searched through the housekeeping room, and couldn’t find the charger, so she gave a call to Linda.

While she was on the phone with Linda she turned to use and asked “can you come back tomorrow to pick it up”. I explained that we lived four hours away, so no, we could not come back to pick it up.

The housekeeper then told us that Linda had our charger “in her car” and she wouldn’t be back in until tomorrow.

I was very close to blowing my stack, but I calmly approached the front desk and left my name and address for them to mail it to.

Linda did call me today and apologized for taking the charger with her. She said it was handed to her while she was on her way out the door. She then said “so I’ll mail the charger and iPod to you tomorrow”. I didn’t think we left an iPod, and I told her so, and she said it must have been in a different room. We had four rooms, so I said I would check with the other members of our group and let her know.

Although I was happy that our charger was found, this conversation led me to believe that both the charger and and iPod made it into her car that day. I doubt this is the standard policy of the Ramada Allentown/Whitehall, but I’ll let you draw your own conclusions.

In closing, the rooms seemed dirty, musty, and smokey, even though the pictures on the internet looked great. The hallways also smelled of smoke and looked rather dreary. For $50 though through Princeline, I guess we got what we paid for. Having paid $72 for the extra night though, I definitely didn’t think the hotel was worth it. For an extra $10-$20 per night I will most definitely stay somewhere else the next time I travel to Allentown/Whitehall.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank Jamesville_Dad
Reviewed May 28, 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights in May. The front desk staff wasnt the most professional that I've seen, but the hotel was clean, the price was half decent, and the continental breakfast was great as well. I would definitely stay here again. The only difference is the price. When I booked for may, it was 75$ and now that I am trying to book for June (I realize it is in season) the price is now almost 100$. I think for 100$ I could find a nicer hotel. Thats all :) But it was a very pleasant experience.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitehall
Days Hotel Allentown Airport / Lehigh Valley
Holiday Inn Allentown Center City
Wingate by Wyndham Allentown
3 mi away
Staybridge Suites Allentown Bethlehem Airport
Renaissance Allentown Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Bethlehem Airport - Allentown Area

Been to Ramada Whitehall/Allentown? Share your experiences!