“Boulder Field Rocks!”

Hickory Run State Park
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in White Haven
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Not pun intended, however, it was awesome! We travel a fair amount and mostly in the city. This was one of the coolest places we have been. I saw the pictures and read the reviews, but had no idea what to expect. The kids loved it and want to go back. If we had had time the next morning, we would have gone back! It took us about an hour and a half to go all the way across and back. I would not want to go on a hot summer's day. It would be beastly.

1  Thank Sally S
in 8 reviews
"camping experience"
"dirt road"

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Clean park with so many hiking trails. We did Boulder Field and Shades of Death trail. Highly recommend these two - shorter hikes, but beautiful and unique. Planning on doing some longer ones next time we visit, but we didnt have much time. Road going up to Boulder field is gravel and it takes about 10-15 mins to get up so I would recommend taking a SUV, van, etc up. I had my car and it was fine, but for people that are more worried about their cars, I would go up in another car. We didn't camp here, just hiked.

2  Thank cytojj
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I went to hickory run state park for the weekend from Philadelphia. The trails are somewhat limited, we asked a park ranger for information at the information desk, and all we got was ""I don't know if that trail is any good, do you like trees?". Most of the trails don't have a view of anything and don't have an elevation change to speak of. The only ones that do include a short trail to the only natural waterfall in the park (the man made small waterfalls don't count) and a parking lot right next to boulder field. Boulder field is interesting, but if you decide to hike to it, and sense of accomplishment is destroyed by that parking lot of screaming kids next to it. As for the trail itself, we walked for about 5 miles, and saw two small birds. Wildlife was not exactly abundant, the woods were eerily quiet, and this was spring.

Camping was fine. The "walk in" camp sites were only about 30 feet from the cars though.

Overall, I think I'll be trying other state parks in future.

2  Thank PhiladelphiaNewcomer
Reviewed March 24, 2013

boulder field is amazing. the children have a great time every time we go. sandy point is a lot of fun and we always picnic there. we always hike and go to the falls.

1  Thank 4karenskids