“It is what it is, and it was great.”

Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in White Haven
Jersey City, NJ
Reviewed June 18, 2006

My buddy and I stayed tere for one of these "time-share" sales weekends. Like others have siad here, the rooms and the grounds were dated, but everything was very clean. We had nothing but the best service from their staff. John, one of the managers went above and beyond then most service you get at any hotel. The spa service was great and compared to NYC prices it was a good deal.
We did not stay for the sales pitch on sunday morning, cuz he had no interest in getting a time share, plus most of the sales guys look liked the cast of "The Sopranos".

If you are looking for a nice clean (but older) place, where the staff is very friendly, then this is the place.

• Stayed: June 2006
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa

Norristown, PA
Reviewed May 15, 2006

After reading some of the reviews, I was a little concerned about our purchase of a timeshare at Mount Laurel so we decided to spend Easter weekend there.

We had a very nice weekend. We encountered no rude employees, our room was very nice, and we enjoyed many of the facilities and planned activities which included an egg hunt and Easter party for the kids! We had a great family weekend.

It is definitely not a hotel in the big city and yes, some of the facilities need to be upgraded but, all in all, I would recommend the Mount Laurel Resort & Spa.

• Stayed: March 2006
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Newark, NJ
Reviewed May 7, 2006

My husband, our two children and I recieved a promotional package to go to the Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa for 3 days/2 nights for a very low price, in return we had to attend a timeshare presentation.

First off, this resort is tucked away FAR from the road with a sign on the road about 100 feet high, which no one can see. We drove past it and into the nearby town. When we called the resort asking for directions, a girl named Amanda answered and I told her we were lost. She was completly oblivious to giving us directions and kept laughing when I told her I didn't know where we were. Finally, my husband pulled off to ask someone and we THEN found where we were supposed to go.

When you arrive at the resort you are greated by driveway lights that are out, numerous pot holes and a mud put that we later found out was a lake. The place was deserted when we arrived, but we remained optomistic.

The lobby area of the hotel is very pretty and quaint. Something you would expect from a Pocono Resort. I went to the front desk to check in and was again, greated by the same girl on the phone. I was not asked anything, but "Checking In?" in a rude tone like I was bothering her. I told her my name and filled out the necessary paperwork. During this time she was constantly talking to another employee. It took me about 10 minutes to check in because she would not pay attention to me. Finally she told me I had to speak with a sales representative to get what I was promised when I made my reservation. She told me I had to go get my husband from the car. When I told her he was in the car with my sleeping children, she laughed and told me to wake them up and bring them in. I later found out that my husband could have come in seperatly.

After I brought my husband and children in we had to wait about 15 minutes and then found out she had never let them know we were there to see them. No apology or anything from this girl. Finally after all was said and done we went to our room, which was nothing like we told it would be. The rooms are shabby and dull, and haven't been updated in forever. They do not supply fitted sheets, and my children kept knocking off the sheets during our stay. We were not allowed more than 4 towels to our room. And our blankets had an odd smell.

The grounds are beautiful, but very worn down. The miniature golf needs a new paint job, we had decided to use Split Rock Resorts, but nobody informed us it was closed that day. The restaurant was terrible. We waited 15 minutes for our order to be taken, and our food was cold when brought to us. The hostess, Marine was very nice and kind. She took my husbands steak back to be warmed, since our server didn't bother to check on us throughout our meal. My husband ordered a drink and it was very weak, and cost a fortune!

The day we were set to take our timeshare tour, we were called at 11:00 asking us why we were not checked out when we were approved for a late checkout. I later found out it was the same girl who checked me in that called me. We were told we needed to be out by 12 or they would charge us.

The timeshare sale is a joke! My representative tried to shove a timeshare at this dump down our throats. Even after we told her we were not interested and the horrible time we had. You have to size a dozen papers stating you don't wish to purchase and why. In addition, they lie to you beyond belief! After being at this resort, and seeing what it is like, we knew one lie from the other.

I will never attend one of these "deals" again. It was a waste of money to go here. I would rather spend 3x as much and go somewhere for the weekend that is decent!

• Stayed: April 2006
24  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NY
Reviewed February 25, 2006

My son and I went in response to a timeshare sales weekend offer. From the first moment I spoke with the timeshare reps (to get our "welcome package), they were rude, sharp tongued and certainly not customer service oriented. It started with the fact that I had not obtained an "authorization" number when I called in the afternoon to alert them that we would be getting in late. That was my first "horrendous error". We were able to hookup with some friends for the day but we were actually harassed for having done so. My son had to go to the bathroom so I "mistakenly" gave my son and friend the room key. From that point on we were actually followed and out and out harassed. To make a long and horrible story short, we checked out after one night because the atmosphere was so miserable. I thought we were supposed to be having fun and enjoying the atmosphere. The timeshare staff were truly "not to be believed" in their level of rudeness, the hotel is in desperate need of updating, we had to park very very far away, there was virtually nothing for the kids to do other than the (so-so) game room and the pool which was devoid of anything fun. In all honesty though, the massage at the spa was wonderful. However, as soon as I emerged from the massage, the "lovely" sales rep was in the spa actually waiting for me for some accusations and more harassment. There went the $70 + tip for the massage as they aggravated me within seconds! Don't waste your time even if it doesn't cost you anything.

• Stayed: February 2006
16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bowie, Maryland
Reviewed February 9, 2006

Hello, in January, my wife and I traveled to Mountain Laurel Resort. We booked our trip before reading the reviews from Trip advisor. After reading the reviews
(many of them not so good), we were scared and wanted to cancel our trip, however it was booked and we could not do so.

Once we arrived at Mountain Laurel, we were relieved as many of the reviews we read were exaggerated. The resort was very nice and we had a blast.

Since we own a time share, we were able to get our room (1 bedroom) with kitchen for a reduced price. At this price we paid, it was a bargin.

The room was fine, comfortable and we had no problems at all.

We enjoyed using the indoor pool, which was very large and to our benifit, very empty as the resort had very few other guest when we stayed (as the winter time is there off season which was a shock to myself).

We also did horseback riding and for the $25 charge was well worth the price.

As for the restaurant, "Touch Of Vanilla",
we had breakfest there on Sunday morning.
We wound not recommend anyone to go there,
as the buffet was over priced and very little
to offer (there was a dinner in White Heaven
that we enjoyed much more and the price was
good).

We were told that Touch Of Vanilla will be closing
anyday and they are going to open a new Italian restaurant.

As for the staff at Mountain Laurel, we found
them to be nice and friendly.

All in all, we had a good time and have
nice memories.

• Stayed: January 2006
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed September 24, 2005

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Mt. Laurel in April of this year. We are currently Timeshare owners, and space banked our week to come up and see how the place is doing. Now we're not the type of people who expect 5 star service because this place doesn't have it. And we knew it upon arriving.

When we checked in, there were 2 people runnning the front desk, and eldery woman and a young girl. When we got there, and were standing in line to be helped the elderly woman screamed at my girlfriend when she went to go pick up a paper, "SOMEONE WILL BE WITH YOU, WAIT IN LINE!". We blew that off, figuring she was busy and thought we needed attention. Finally, the younger girl checked us in. She couldn't find out reservation amongst the the other guests reservations. I told her I made my reservation through timeshare, and he went into the computer and found out that they never changed my arrival date like they said they would. She called us Interval and settled everything. The whole time, the elderly woman kept gettign into our business asking question upon question. I get the whole, "be nice to the guests, make them feel at home" but this was getting out of hand. The ladies standing with me in line were obviously becomming very upset as well. And I don't blame them. I myself was ready to walk out if she didn't stop butting into my business.

When all was said and done we filled out the necessary paperwork. I realized I forgot my credit card at home, and my girlfriend didn't have one. All of a sudden the eldery woman starts saying "I need your card or you dont go to your room!" Finally we gave her our debit card, and not knowing what was going on she proceeds to tell me my card will be shredded. By this time I had anough of her butting into our business, and not even attending to her own customer who was clearly annoyed. it was enough to push me over the edge when she kept calling my girlfriend a sir, or him, or your boyfriend. The whole check in consisted of about 30 minutes because she couldn't mind her own business.

We had to leave early sue to my father falling ill. When I went to the desk to check out, the same woman was there. When I told her I had a family emergency she proceeded to ask what happened. I told her my father fell ill, and had a stroke. She then went into how her husband is sick and whatnot. Now, I'm in a rush to get out of here and this woman is telling me about her husband being sick. PLEASE! Finally she let it go when I spoke up, and then handed me an evaluation form telling me to fill it out at my leisure. When I looked at the bottom, she had her name written on the outstanding employee part. I asked her for another and she asked why. I told her her name was on it, and she stared at me blankly. When I finally asked her what the young girls name was who checked me in, she said she had no clue who it was, even when I described her as working with her a few nights ago and being younger with long brown hair. Still she had no idea. So I handed the paper back to her telling her I didn't feel right filling in someones name when I didnt even know their name. And she practically screamed at me "FINE!" and walked into the back away from me. She never bothered to give me a receipt or take my room keys. Which down the road, I remembered and had to turn around and return, only to find out she charged me $25! This woman was RUDE!

Don't lose your keys or they will charge you! They have old fashioned keys, not the modern up to date keys.

The snack snop was closed half the time we were there, but the food isn't that great to begin with. The restaurant is closed half the week and only open for dinner. It had horrible service the time we went there. Thank god we had a full kitchen to cook in.

The indoor pool was shut down, and the pool tables were out of order. Being an owner here, I was very dissapointed. Nobody knew when anything would be fixed.

We were woken up late at night by children running through the halls banging on the doors. The security guard finally came down and found them. After that, it finally stopped.

This was one of the worst timeshare stays we've encountered since we bought 4 years ago. I will probably exchange next year.

I think they need to reconsider their employees and train them to deal specifically with their jobs. I've encountered many nice and many rude employees during all my my stays.

All in all, if you are looking for a nice place to get away to, I would reccommend Mountain Laurel. The rooms are big, and nicely furnished. A fully equiped kitchen, complete with dishwasher and everything you need to cook. it is a nice family resort. if youre looking for romance, don't go here.

• Stayed: April 2005
28  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 27, 2005

My husband & I & 8 yo daughter went on one of those "time share previews"--a reduced rate at the hotel in return for the 90 minutes spiel about all the wonderful advantages a time share brings you. We really had no intentions of buying, but liked the Poconos & thought it would be worth it.
First off--the hotel lacked all ameneties that we are used to--coffeepot in the room (having to get dressed & drive to the WaWa for that first cup is annoying), no hair dryer, ironing board & iron (although those are available for sign out at the front desk), & just very shoddy furnishings, decor, etc. The restaurant is only open certain evenings, & charges a mandatory 17% "gratuity", meaning there is no incentive for service. The snack shop served nothing remotely healthy, & was closed several times it was supposed to be open anyway. The mini golf was a disgrace--falling apart pieces, greens, etc. The "8 lane bowling alley" at Split Rock had 4 broken lanes, several of the other arcade games were out of service, & it was disappointing to have to keep looking for something that wasn't broken. The spa was completely booked for our time there (the one thing I was looking forward to), one hot tub & both steam rooms were out of service, although the fitness center & pools were nice enough, & appeared to be maintained well. My daughter & I did get to go horseback riding (as others have said, we had a wonderful time with that, as the stable is independently owned & its employees are not employed by the hotel, just affilliated with it) & she did enjoy the childrens programs, allowing my husband & myself some time apart from her.
The capper, however, was at Split Rock on our last full day there. We rented a paddleboat on their lake--the first was broken, although we weren't told that till after we couldn't get it to work (the boy at the dock didn't bother telling us, although he was the one who helped us cast off from the dock, nor was it marked as unusable in any way.) We then got in another boat, & were capsized (yes, we went overboard) by a speedboat. It took the people on shore 10 minutes to get to us (we weren't that far out) and luckily another paddleboat was able to take our daughter to shore. We lost 2 cell phones, a PDA & a camera, but they weren't interested in even helping us get a police report filled out to help with insurance claims--no one there was willing to take responsibility for anything. My mother tried calling us that night after getting our message about what happened--since we were at dinner, she couldn't get through to us, but we were never given the message that an extremely frantic woman was trying to get in touch with us (mom said the person talking to her was very snippy)
Actually, the true capper was the last morning when we had to listen to the time share spiel, even though we were up front about not wanting to buy. (When we said we were unimpressed with anything we had seen thus far, we were told that since we hadn't paid very much, we shouldn't complain.($149 for 3 nights, 90 "resort dollars" back to spend there, so we "spent" about $59 for accomadations for 3 nights--yeah, we got EXACTLY what we paid for). At the end, when we signed the paper saying we weren't interested, we were told "Just a minute, then you'll get your gas voucher" (our last incentive from our original offer). A minute turned into 10, so we knocked on the door of the office & asked when it would be coming. The man there came out YELLING at the top of his lungs, "WAIT YOUR TURN", eventually called security (frightening our daughter w/ all his yelling in the process), & we can't even complain properly because no one would give us their names!!! We will be writing to both the hotel & the time share company, but I'm not holding my breath for anything to come of it. We did however, as we were leaving, promise that we would tell everyone we could our opinion of the place & the timeshare sales people--So take this with as many grains of salt as you wish--it was our experience & opinions, and they are very poor ones indeed.

• Stayed: August 2005
#2 of 3 in Lake Harmony
Lake Harmony Inn
Lake Harmony Inn
#1 of 1 in Lake Harmony

Been to Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!