“Loved the 80's but......”

Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in White Haven
Reviewed July 5, 2011

We just returned from Mountain Laurel resort and Spa last week. felt like we were in a time machine. Irisheyes' review was dead on with their positive and negative review so I won't repeat. We stayed in the same type of room and the pics in their review were what mine would be.
Just a few extra things. The horse stable owner and employees are wonderful and the most friendly people we have ever encountered.
Make sure to go to staff vs. guest vollyball and cookout on thursdays!!
Old fashion fun, horseshoes, bocci, swimming, archery, lots of books and games to borrow. Fantastic family time!
First page of binder is super tacky and needs to be reworded and shortened.
They also seem to nickle and dime you, charge 0.95 for roll of tp??? and most of the games are broken but have no sign to let you know. sign in game room No refunds no exceptions!
Breakfast buffet was excellent.
All in all if you want a truely quiet and relaxing vacation this is your place.
Would I come back? Maybe. Kids really liked it.

Room Tip: call ahead and let them know of your concerns
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa

Reviewed June 25, 2011

We drove up their driveway and hit pothole after pothole. At check in(musty smell in lobby and every where else) , they tell us we do not have a reservation while I showed them the printed confirmation. They finally accommodated us.Our suite and the resort desperately needed 20th century updates. We took our kids to the activities center for one of 'MANY' contests listed on the activities sheet. We are told they are understaffed this week so only Bingo at 8 p.m. will be offered. The pull out sofabed and other beds were comparable to sleeping on the floor. On Friday they tell us another family was checking into our room. INCORRECT! We were booked till Saturday! They screwed up another family's reservation! This was a timeshare vacation, we will NEVER return and this is a warning to other families...

Room Tip: Stay Away
4  Thank m3633
Reviewed June 24, 2011

This Resort was perfect for our family of 4! We had a one-bedroom suite that had 2 bathrooms, a full kitchen, living room an another room with two queen beds. Also our large balcony looked out to the woods and you could see the stable with all the animals from there. It was a great place for two young children, with a pool, an activity room and lots of planned activites, animals to visit, trails in the woods, a playscape and a small lake with a white sand beach that the kids played at for hours! It also offers relaxing spa treatments for worn out parents! It was nestled in the woods, but also minutes from main highways, fast food, a charming ice cream shop, a waterpark, grocery stores and only 30-45 mins from an awesome outlet mall, a one-of-a-kind kid-friendly movie theatre, Walmart, historic Steamtown and breathtaking waterfalls! Only an hr away is The Crayola Factory and The National Canal Museum, which offer a whole day of fun! Did I mention there is also golfing, white water rafting, skiing/snowboarding hills and State Parks nearby too?! This restort was an amazing find for family, right in the heart of the Poconos!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank HappyMIFamily
Reviewed June 14, 2011

This place is old, run down and dirty. There was mold on the bathroom ceiling, the paint on the bedroom and living room ceiling was all chipped. The wall paper was coming off the wall. This place was terrible. Even the pool was gross. I was VERY disappointed and I wish I had read the reveiws prior to booking. The worst part was I told them how unhappy I was and no one seemed to care. I do not reccommend this place to anyone!

2  Thank barbiegrl1218
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Rooms weren't awful, but definitely way outdated and starting to crumble.
The service is the real issue.
We were in town for a weekend event. We got back to the hotel at 8 and hoped to be able to eat there. The bar wasn't serving food, but said there was another restaurant in the building. The hotel didn't seem real busy, so we thought we'd be fine after showering. When we got to the restaurant, there were a ton of open tables, so we figured we'd get right in. The incredibly rude hostess said "it will be AT LEAST a half-hour until we can seat you." She acted like we were the problem, and she seemed to be just daring us to argue with her. We didn't take the bait, but another customer did. When he mentioned that there were plenty of empty tables, she went off. "It doesn't MATTER how many empty tables there are. It has NOTHING to do with that!"
Needless to say, at this point, the last thing we wanted to do was give them any more of our money. So we went to the front desk. I asked them if there were any places close by that were still open and family friendly. She politely handed me a piece of paper with a ton of restaurants listed on it. I asked if she knew if they were still open, and she had no idea. And didn't offer to find out. So we found a place on our own.
It looks like the place may have been nice in it's heyday. But now it's just a rundown shell, and clearly they don't really care what kind of experience you have.

Oh, and the beds are beat-down. No support.
Walls are paper-thin, you hear everything.
The pools looked nice enough, though we didn't get to use them.

Reviewed May 15, 2011

We should have known , when we walked into the room and it was dusty. So dusty , you could write your name in it. When we turned on the sink, the water ran brown. The handle on the screen door fell off in my hand. There were stains on the walls. The sidewalks and roads are severely cracked and broken.The room and hallways smelled old and musty. It has been 20 years since I have stayed in a hotel that did not have a coffee maker and a hair dryer.But they did have an old broken broom an a vacuum ? I guess if we felt like cleaning, ourselves ? The TV was so small you had to sit in front of it to see it. Of course the remote did not work. It just gave me the creeps. I hope I didn't bring any bugs home with me.They tried to have us purchase a time share ! They couldn't give us a time share to that place.The ONLY redeeming quality were the staff at the restaurants. They were professional, kind, and friendly.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank neveragain35
Reviewed April 26, 2011

I was not happy at all about my stay at Mountain Laurel Resort and Spa.
I had booked this hotel a month in advance because I wanted a nice weekend gettaway for my birthday and spend some time relaxing at the spa.
Ended up checking out early because the spa was too understaffed to give my friend and I a simple spa treatment at the same time. I guess it is understandable if they don't have enough people to give both of us full spa packages, but to not even be able to give us both a massage at the same time? I was disappointed, especially with the fact that the place is called "resort and SPA."
Also, rooms are very uncomfortable. The beds are not great and the temperature regulation was horrible. The air blows right at your face and it's hot and cold, hot and cold.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
#2 of 3 in Lake Harmony
Lake Harmony Inn
Lake Harmony Inn
#1 of 1 in Lake Harmony

Been to Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!