“Only riding stable in White Haven...”

Deer Path Riding Stable
Ranked #3 of 11 things to do in White Haven
More attraction details
Owner description: Scenic guided trail rides through the Pocono forest. Gentle horses, helpful guides and an "easy does it" pace makes for a great outdoor experience, even for first timers.We Love Beginners.
Portland, Oregon
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Only riding stable in White Haven...”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

If you're desperate to get your equine fix, head here. Trails are large gravel roads, so not much of a "wilderness" expereince. Better options down the road.

Visited September 2011
zziks, Owner at Deer Path Riding Stable, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
#1. Our trails are NOT WIDE ROADS. They are pretty, meandering paths through some very nice scenery and we receive a lot of positive feedback on them.
#2. We never have promoted our ride as a "wilderness adventure."Our customers are beginners and people who ride only occassionally. I've had "wilderness experiences" on horseback and enjoyed them. But knee-deep mud and rocky ledges along steep drop-offs are not what our customer wants. I'm proud of and have worked very hard to make the trails graveled, groomed and well drained.
#3. Read the reviewers other reviews. Nothing really appearently meets his standards.

Dallas, Pennsylvania
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“good first time”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

place seemed a little rundown upon arrival, bathroom is an outhouse and gps doesn't direct you there......BUT we were treated very nicely and Kristen was a wonderful trail guide making us all feel at ease even though we were all new at this...was a good first time experience...enjoyed it very much!!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank MTS55
Maple Shade, New Jersey
282 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 219 helpful votes
“Nice horseback Ride”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Made an appointment, the day before. They asked us to be there 15 minutes early. They aren't kidding, they left before another group had arrived right on the departure time. They do have boots to wear, which are mandatory, and helmets, which are not. We had a great ride, it only lasts about 50 minutes and there are no other options, but if that's all you're looking for, this is a great place. Our guide was very friendly and helpful, telling us about the area and the horses, very talkative. He allowed us to trot once he decided we knew what we were doing. I will agree that the owner himself is a little rude and comes across as a little gruff. While we were there he had an argument with a customer on the phone and started discussing business with his staff, some sort of problem was going on. He kind of treats customers like tourists who don't know what they're doing (Which fair to him, many of his customers are, but most tourist horse riding stables treat their customers like students or beginners who want to learn more, not know-nothing tourists). Just be happy if he's not your tour guide. Other than hat, we had a tremendous ride and a good experience. I recommend it.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank tallgaloot
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I FELL OFF THE HORSE, GOT HURT AND STILL HAD TO PAY. The head guy is a jerk!!! We enjoyed in years past but it's terrible now.”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

You should never have to use a crop on a trail horse unless you are training. The horse I had, they handed me a crop. I am a novice rider. It was hesitant on big rocks and going down slopes. The older guy was rude and his comments upset not just me, but my children too. The horse started to fall near the end of the ride and I flew off. My 13, 11 and 9 year old children saw this. I hit my head on a rock about 4 inches wide. I had a major headache for about 5 days. In has been over a week and I have three bruises from the fall. One from my elbow to the middle of the back of my arm, my entire hip and across my upper back. The guy yelled to our guide if we needed anything. He did not even check on me. He was to busy with the group he was leading. Did not offer to give me my money back. The ride has left my children upset and me mad. If my children had been on this horse, God have mercy on the guy. Money means more to this guy than his customers, that is the feeling I have. $150 to have my children upset and me hurt. Never again unless they do something about the older guy. When my husband called to have the guy explain himself for his comments, he said I took it the wrong way. I guess four people took it the wrong way. My youngest said she did not want to go on the ride because of the way he talked to me.

1 Thank dzydvl70
I very sorry that this lady had a bad experience. Horses are "only Human" and perhaps once in a thousand rides will stumble badly enough for a rider to fall. This horse in particular is one of my best and one I choose to ride myself friequently as does my 11 year-old daughter. (See the review "One Ride Wasn't Enough" above- same horse)
I had almost no direct interaction with this lady. I passed her group once on the trail and encouraged her to keep the horse alert because he walks too slowly if given no imput from the rider. (yes, some gentle, but lazy horses need a little tap with a crop to keep them moving along and alert.) When she said that she couldn't do it I said: "My 11 year-old has no problem at all."
Maybe 15 minutes later I saw the group at a distance and saw that she was walking. I called to my guide to check if everything was ok. the guide replied that the horse had stumbled, but the lady was unhurt but decided to walk the short distance back. They had left when I returned to the barn. I was informed that she had reported no injuries, had thanked and tipped the guide.

She makes reference to my "comments". This can only be from the phone call I recieved from her husband a few hours later. The first thing he said was: "Did you tell my wife that an 11 year-old could ride that horse?" ( Actually he asked this three times during the conversation.) I replied, yes my daughter rides the horse and it keeps up without much effort. He said that his wife was embarrised in front of the children by this comment and that he thought it was rude. I remember very clearly what I told him. I told him that I was sorry if there was a misunderstanding. That safety is very important to us and keeping the horse alert and marching along rather than day-dreaming is safer (they pick up their feet better for one thing.) I said that I had made the comment to point out that it was important and so easy that even a child could do it.
Even at our extremely safe and controlled level riding is a sport that involves some risk.
I fell on the bunny hill, sking in Vermont last winter and hurt my knee. I'm still waiting for someone to offer me a refund.
I was never asked for a refund. But I don't like unhappy customers and If that will make things right I'll give this customer one.
New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Family feel”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

My family rode the trail at Deer Path, and my little guys did the pony rides. We loved it all. The staff was very nice, and made sure that everyone was comfortable and safe. They offer boots to borrow, and if you don't want to borrow any, make sure to wear your own.

Visited May 2012