“Horseback Riding Supreme!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Deer Path Riding Stable

Deer Path Riding Stable
Ranked #3 of 11 things to do in White Haven
More attraction details
Owner description: Scenic guided trail rides through the Pocono forest. Gentle horses, helpful guides and an "easy does it" pace makes for a great outdoor experience, even for first timers.We Love Beginners.
Fort Lee, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Horseback Riding Supreme!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2011

I took my nieces, nephews and grandchildren (ages 7-11) plus adults to ride on a lovely sunny day. The owner was gracious and friendly. The guides were helpful and advised the children on safety issues. The little ones got pony rides and the older ones went on a trail ride through a lovely wooded area. We say deer and squirrels and birds along the trail. The ride was nearly an hour long and we all had a wonderful time. I would say the price was a bargain for the fun we had. I've ridden there many times and each time has been wonderful.

1 Thank Joey W

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fun family experience, beautiful scenery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

Great experience; scenic ride with friendly and often funny guides. A fun way to spend some quality time with the whole family.

2 Thank Jlc483
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best Ride Ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2011

We went riding along the pretty trails at this Poconos barn with our two teens, and it was fabulous. Our guide, John, gave helpful tips on handling the horses (who were very well behaved), let us trot on certain stretches, and took our pictures at the end of the ride. Very laid back atmosphere, but you felt well taken care of. There's also pony rides for the little ones, and an adorable black lab you can play fetch with. All in all, a great experience. We'll be back!

3 Thank natmomo
Blakeslee, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“awesome experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

The staff are friendly and helpful whether you are a beginner or experienced rider. I especially like the attention to details to keep riders safe while mounting and dismounting the horses as well as on the trail. I love the different terrains on the trails from fields to woods and narrow winding paths. I keep coming back because the experience is so relaxing and enjoyable.

3 Thank Joanne B
Yonkers, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Rude”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

Went away to the Poconos with family so we decided to book a day horseback riding. The day came and it was raining cats and dogs with thunder and lightning. So we call them to try to reschedule and the owner said we should've still came. We tried mentioning that we'll come the next day so that we don't lose that deposit and he said that we have to pay for that day on top of the $210 deposit that we lost! My fiancee called them back after a couple of hours after the first initial phone call and long story short he said to came by the next day and we won't loose out on anything. Fine! So on the way to the place we decide to call the place to make sure we are on the right way since GPS doesn't locate the place, so the Owner mentions in a VERY RUDE way, "you guys need to hurry up because it's almost time for you to ride!" (we called a half hour before our appoinment and we were literally 2 minutes away and he talks to us like we are trash). So we get there and his employees are super nice, but then again the Owner gave out a very unappreciated vibe from the beginning. They got us ready and now the Owner is our guide to lead us through the trails, everything was going ok until he CURSED me out in front of little kids saying that he's the boss and that he'll kick me out if I don't comply with with rules. The reason why he acted like a fool is because in the middle of the trail he asked the whole group if we would like to go a bit faster, a couple of us said no but everyone else said yes. So he told the other guide to go with the ones that said yes so that we can split up. I then asked him if I can go with them and he said no! I asked why since I'm paying and would like to experience that with my family, and that's when he totally flipped! At the end of the tour he went up to me and apologized but to me it wasn't enough because he made the experience feel very weird afterwards. So to sum up everything, everything is good except for his customer service!

Visited July 2011
4 Thank Quintanilla0426
zziks, Owner at Deer Path Riding Stable, responded to this review, July 23, 2011
My most essential function as a trail guide and stable owner is to KEEP MY CLIENTS SAFE!
I did become quite strict with this rider, when despite my explanation that is was unsafe for him to leave his place in line, turn in the other direction and attempt to pass several other horses and riders in the wrong direction. I really hate to see any rider endangered.
Even the most gentle horse in the world has the potential to bite or kick and that can be very dangerous. This gentleman had no riding ability and obviously no knowledge of the nature of horses. What he was attempting to do was a hazard to himself and several riders. In a situation like this I DO take command and do whatever is needed to do protect ALL of my clients.
Yes, I will use my authority to enforce rules if riders are endangering others. I don't apologize for this and I did try a friendly request to obey the safety rules first. The girl in the group who was adjacent to him was afraid to trot and this the reason that section of the group was not going faster. His actions showed no concern for his friend's safety and her fear of going faster.

As for the reservations- our policy is a one hour cancellation or the customer is charged for the ride. .This is made clear when someone makes a reservation There was no rain on that day and they simply failed to call or come. I had turned down many other people for those limited spots and it cost me a significant amount of money. This is not recoverable, once that time slot is wasted, that money is lost. Coming on another day simply consumes more of my limited resources. As a courtesy I did allow them use the money to ride on another day. They didn't allow enough to drive to the stable and there were other customers who had been waiting for a considerable time. When they said that they would be late I did tell them that they needed to hurry as other people were involved.
What disturbs me about this review is that this rider has the nerve to complain because I prevented him from endangering others.