“Not well maintained”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in White Haven
Rio Grande, New Jersey
“Not well maintained”
Reviewed October 26, 2010

Only stay here is you have to be in this area and you have to stay under $80 a day. Large rooms, but dirty and poorly maintained. Avoid touching the shower curtain at all costs! The wireless internet only works from rooms close to the office, small cheap TV's, sparse linens, and sandpaper towels.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank jerseymariner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Orange, Virginia
Reviewed July 28, 2009

First, when I say I'd recommend to a friend, I would only recommend to certain friends, who have the same easy-going attitude towards motels. This is not a deluxe lodging, things are minimal (we all laughed when the 'limited equipment' kitchen contained standard appliances but not a plate, eating utensil or cooking utensil to be had) but CLEAN. Furnishings are old, fixtures are old, but again, clean. The rooms are spacious - a front room with bed, couch, table and chairs, TV and a back bedroom with bed and TV. The free wi-fi worked, but only in the front room. We never felt uncomfortable (I figured out how to lock that sliding door), the price was as quoted, the staff pleasant. Breakfast was standard fare, although hot waffles appeared on the weekend. All in all, we enjoyed the peaceful setting and although we only ended up here because virtually all the rooms in Wilkes-Barre were taken up by a convention, we were glad we had. There were convenient fast food/gas stations at the Turnpike/Interstate interchange, and we found a good restaurant just two miles down the road. It's plain, in need of some TLC, but for the price, it filled our needs quite nicely and we'd return.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
USA
Reviewed July 15, 2009

The review below just cracks me up. IT'S AN ECONO LODGE! If you're Wall Street professionals looking for 5 star service, was it even smart to book here?
I too work in Lower Manhattan (although not the snooty side, apparently) and was looking for a quick quiet getaway weekend. My reservation with corporate discount was only about $67/night and was a deal. The rooms are enormous with a full kitchen and 2 TVs - one in the living room and one in the bedroom. The furniture and decor was typical motel/lodge - nothing special. It was quiet during our stay. The woman who staffed the rental office was nothing but nice to us. Free breakfast in the AM (bagels, cereal, juice - again, typical motel complimentary breakfast stuff). This park is 2 miles away from Jack Frost, I believe. It is also fairly close to Hickory Run State Park and Walter Francis Dam and Reservoir.
Would chose this place over the local Knights Inn (didn't look as nice). The Holiday Inn is right near the I-80/PA Turnpike interchange and I think that could be a noisier choice.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lemongrrl
gmsub, manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 15, 2009
thanks for your review.we were shock by the prevoius review and was expecting some one like you that can post the neutral review.
once agian we would like to thank you for your time.
manager
Econolodge Inn & Suite
New York
Reviewed July 1, 2009

I have stayed in other Econo Lodges before, and have found them to be of good value. I expected no less from this one, but boy was i wrong.

From the get go, you could tell the motel was sorely wanting. The paint was peeling off the buildings, there was spilled cereal on the breakfast nook that no one had cleaned up, and there were only one or two other customers staying at the hotel. But that wasnt the worst part - the worst part was the attitude of the hotel manager - Deep Patel. He was RUDE and HORRIBLE and no doubt needs a lesson in customer service. We got into a shouting match at the front desk during check in.

Upon arrival, Mr. Patel likely sized us up to be a group of rowdy teenagers, despite the fact that we are all Wall Street professionals in our late 20's. He coldly informed me that if we smoked in any of the rooms, we'd be charged a $200 fine. I assured Deep that no one in our party smoked. He accused me of lying because he had seen someone smoking outside. The person he was referencing was not with our group.

Next, the rate he was charging me was different from the rate I had previously discussed with the person with whom i made the reservation. When we disagreed about this, I requested to cancel the reservation.
Mr. Patel told me he would charge us a penalty of one night's stay for doing so - we had only booked the room for one night. In essence, we'd be paying the same amount whether or not we stayed there.

After it was clear that we had reached a deadlock about the price, he was so angry that he put his wife (the co-manager) on the phone to speak with me instead. She was much more rational, and offered me a full refund if we decided not to stay there for the evening.

Overall, my experience at the Econo Lodge was horrendous. The facilities looked unclean and decrepit, and the manager's behavior was absolutely unacceptable. I would never recommend this place to stay for anyone - friend or enemy.

(My party and I ended up staying at the Holiday Inn Express just down the street. It was AMAZING, and only $20 more.)

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank CindereIIie24
gmsub, manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 10, 2009
they didnot stay here due to error in reservation

Travelers are raving about these White Haven hotels

FL
Reviewed September 15, 2008

worth it for the price I paid,more than expected,good internet connection,large suite comfortable for family though I was alone,good people and nice quite place away form highway.
only thing i didnot like was some old furniture which didnot match with suit

• Liked — large room
  • Disliked — some furniture
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tampa
Reviewed October 6, 2007

Second stay and very disappointed. We stayed at this motel in October 2006 and were extremely pleased with everything. The furnishings were obviously old but the suite was clean and very spacious. We selected this motel primarily because they are pet friendly and are located in a somewhat rural setting. So we stayed a second time in May 2007, and we'll never stay there again. As a matter of background, the motel was in transition from bank ownership to current owner during our first visit in October 2006. The first unpleasant issue we had during the second visit was that the motel owner wanted to charge $20 per pet per night ($40 per night for our two dogs), contrary to the quoted $10 per pet per night fee quoted via telephone. Although we telephoned this motel for information, we eventually made our reservations through the motel chain's website so maybe there is a difference in price when you book online. I had decided to leave because I felt being taking advantage of but the owner/manager decided to charge us the originally quoted $10 per night pet fee. The next issue made us very uncomfortable. Very few regular guests and approximately ninety percent of the motel guests were long-term construction workers temporarily working in the area. Over half the parking spaces were taken with large work-type vehicles/trucks. Because of the large number of construction workers, we felt the motel was more like a men's dormitory. Then, we were unable to lock/secure the front sliding glass door which made us more uncomfortable. Then the electronic key stopped working during the night, but we were able to enter our room through the unlocked sliding door. The bedroom was dark with only one light fixture working. The so-called Jacuzzi type tub would not drain properly no matter what we tried, plus, the remaining water in the the tub had a dirty green color. Lastly, the room was not maintained well; peeling wallpaper, stained carpeting, dilapidated furnishings and a general unsanitary feeling. We were extremely relieved to leave this motel and will never return. This was the very first time I had ever complained about a motel. Lastly, in all due respect to the current owner, I believe he hadn't owned the motel for very long so possibly things may have improved. I would recommend anyone planning on staying at this motel to have contigency plans in the event you decide that this place is not for you.

Stayed May 2007
2 Thank moxietampa
Fairlawn NJ
Reviewed July 24, 2007

we stayed at this Inn during wine festival at Split Rock resort this Inn is very close to Jackfrost and bigboulder less than two minuteI would say it is also very close to Pocono Raceway less than 7 miles.
Inn has great rooms(suites) with good cleanliness best place to stay with family

• Liked — Size of Room
  • Disliked — Night lamp
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near White Haven
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites White Haven - Lake Harmony
Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa
Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa
#4 of 6 in White Haven

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!