“Even a free reward night is a pleasure”

Candlewood Suites Reading
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in West Reading
Glen Allen, Virginia
“Even a free reward night is a pleasure”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

This Mother's Day my wife and I decided to go home to Pa. to see my parents. I usually stay at another hotel (also a Holiday Inn brand) but after my experiences at the Candlewood Suites chain I decided to burn a few reward points and stay there.
It was a breezy, rainy evening when we arrived..near 10pm..but the staff was most amicable and made us feel very much at home. In some cases, because the night is free, I've been in hotels where the level of service drops off but I found these folks to be very accommodating. Our room was very nice and my wife loved the bed..she slept very well..and of course having a full kitchen is a nice perk. When we do go on vacation this year most likely we will be staying at a Candlewood Suites. Next time I need to stay in the area, they will get my business for sure.

Room Tip: we had a really nice view of Reading at night..our room was facing east..on the hill you can see the...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
New York
Reviewed April 14, 2014

This is my third visit to Candlewood, love the hotel, the staff is very helpful and friendly. I was greated by Greg in the evening and Alex in the morning, very nice staff. Hotel is clean, lobby, bathroom, parking area. The rooms were very clean, the bed comfy comfy comfy. So comfy I want to buy the pillows. Area, was good, drving and sight seeiing was good. Had a great time with my family- four rooms and will visit many more times.

Room Tip: Not next to the stair case, it worked this time because my mother was on the 3rd floor right above...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Tammi H
Jill D, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Reading, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Hi Tammy,

Thank you so much for taking time to write such a kind review about Candlewood Suites West Reading. I will be sure and share your comments with Greg and Alex, they are both great staff members and I'm happy that they were able to make your stay more enjoyable. Our housekeeping staff works very hard to keep the hotel clean and I will be sure to show them your review as well. We definitely have very comfortable pillows, I was happy to talk with you on the phone the other day about them and I did want you to know I have additional information for you on how you can purchase these same pillows for your home! Please feel free to contact me at 610-898-1910.

Have a great week!

Jill
United States
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I stayed at Candlewood Suites about a year ago and was rather impressed with this facility. Having to return to the area again, I immediately made a reservation for this hotel. However, after this recent visit, I doubt I will return another time.
While the facility itself is alright, I had major complaints with the cleanliness. When we checked into our room, the toilet seat had someone's "private" hair on the toilet seat and a spot of dried urine. Obviously the toilet had not been cleaned. The shower had "private" hairs in it. The bed sheets and pillows had numerous little hairs all over them. This is always a deal breaker for me. Unfortunately we had reserved online and paid up front, so there were no refunds.
The hallways were also not maintained. The carpet had dirt and debris all over them for a few days. I think they were finally vacuumed, but debris remained along the edges. Apparently the cleaning here is only done very half-heartedly.
Also as a note, I did not need the business facilities, but I noticed the room had an "Out of Order" sign on it. So if I had needed these facilites, it would have done me no good. The search continues to find a decent hotel in Berks County.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bluemoonsymphony
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Reading, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Dear bluemoonsymphony,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. It is unfortunate that we were not able to deliver based on your expectations on this occasion particularly with the maintenance of the room that you were given. Your comments are essential for us to improve on what we can offer to ensure similar incidents are avoided in the future.

Again, thank you for your time in writing us a review and our apologies for the inconvenience.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare
san francisco
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Great location with indoor parking - a rarity for this brand of hotels. Spacious lobby and friendly check-in. But, room was in need of repairs and soft good upgrades. Tiles in bath-floor were loose. Pots and dishes were dirty - yuk. Another property where they never offer an upgrade even after years of staying at this location

Room Tip: If your room faces the front of the hotel, you'll be kept up all nite with the flags; if you sta...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Hi Larry,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. We greatly appreciate your kind comments regarding our underground parking. This is a huge hit with our guests, especially during the cold/snowy winter we had this year! I apologize you had a negative experience in the room with the tiles and the dishes. We do work very hard to keep our hotel very clean and in good working order, however I will share your comments with our housekeeping and maintenance staff. We use guest comments on our room to continue to train staff and make improvements to our property. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I also want to apologize that you have not received an upgrade while at our property. We do try very hard to upgrade our Platinum IHG Rewards guests, on occasion we cannot do so due to availability. I am sorry about that and I hope that if you do choose to stay with us again that we will be able to provide you with a better experience.

Warm Regards,

Jill
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 4, 2014

During a recent snow storm, a friend and I stayed at this hotel. I arrived slightly before the check in time and was welcomed with a smile and a ready room. I had to make a change in the reservation the day prior to arrival. My requests was handled promptly. A minor problem with the room was discovered shortly after arrival. Ashley and the housekeeping team came to the room and quickly addressed the problem. Despite it's location close to the expressway, our room was quiet and comfortable. The small kitchenette included a dishwasher, full sized refrigerator, garbage disposal and cookware. Underground parking provided protection from the winter snow. I plan to stay again. Easy access to wireless internet service. Several restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
GMCandlewoodReading, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Reading, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
It is so nice to hear such a wonderful review about our Hotel. It is our goal to deliver great service to every guest so that they feel confident in their selection. We value all of our customers’ comments and use it to examine what can be done to improve our hotel as well as what we are doing right.

Rest assured that your kind words will be shared to our staff as it will inspire them more to work even better to constantly achieve your satisfaction.

It was a pleasure to serve you, and we hope to see you soon
Shreeport,LA
Reviewed February 12, 2014

This hotel has been a great find for an extended stay, especially if you travel with pets. The rooms are well appointed and clean. Great location, within walking distance to restaurants and shops. There is a nice walking park just down the road. Many perks, even covered parking! The best thing about this hotel is the GREAT staff!

Room Tip: there are 3 different size rooms, depending on your needs.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
GMCandlewoodReading, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Reading, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
We are very glad to know that you had great experience with your pet staying with you during your recent visit. It is very inspiring to know that you were satisfied with our services and our staffs’ efforts to make your stay comfortable were well appreciated. Thank you for your business and we hope that you will be more satisfied on your next stay.
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I stayed at this hotel recently and left with mixed feelings.
First, the front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. However I have an issue with Management attitudes. I had received written confirmation about getting a Smoking Suite but when I arrived I was put in a small stuffy room with very little space for anything. I understand that mistakes are sometimes made, and the front desk clerk tried her best to get me another suite, but that was not possible until a few days after check-in.
What irritated me was when I got feedback from Management that a reservation is looked upon as merely a suggestion. No manager would face me to discuss this but left all of the dirty work to the front desk clerks (who were very good). It is for reasons like this that I do not respect the fluffy generic responses they post to reviews. The attitude of management at this hotel is deplorable.
Eventually, when I finally got the suite I had reserved, it was very good. It would help if breakfast would be provided so we don't have to drive around every morning looking for something decent to eat before going to work at the hospital. The choices of breakfast venues are not the best in this area..

Room Tip: I can't stress enough how inconvenient it is when reservations are not respected - be careful.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
GMCandlewoodReading, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Reading, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
We sincerely thank you for bringing to our attention how your recent stay was. Your detailed comments let us know how you felt during your visit at our Hotel. We would like to inform you that this issue will be dealt accordingly and we are deeply sorry that there has been inconvenience regarding your confirmed reservation.

On behalf of the management, we will take necessary steps to ensure that this will not happen in your future stay. It is good to hear that our staff handled your situation professionally and was able to get the suite that you’ve reserved. We assure you that we listen to each of our guests’ inputs and feedback. We sincerely hope that we may be given a chance to change your perception of our hotel in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Reading
#6 of 7 in Wyomissing
Homewood Suites by Hilton Reading
Courtyard Reading Wyomissing
Days Inn Reading Wyomissing

Been to Candlewood Suites Reading? Share your experiences!