“Comfortable Hotel and Pet-Friendly”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Mifflin
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in West Mifflin
“Comfortable Hotel and Pet-Friendly”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We've stayed regularly at this hotel for the past 7 years, when visiting family in the area. We like to bring along our small dog, and this is one of the very few hotels in the Pittsburgh area that is pet-friendly as well as somewhat affordable. It's gone through its ups and downs over the period we've been staying there, but over the past few years we've found that the staff seems to make a genuine effort to please. Yolande and Ray at the front desk are always pleasant and helpful. The housekeeping and breakfast bar staffs are friendly and do a good job. I agree with lcbooz that the addition of a pool would improve the facility, however it is already not inexpensive at $133/night AAA rate, plus $10 for our dog, and I fear that with a pool it would become even more pricey. The new Holiday Inn Express at the nearby Waterfront is less expensive, but not pet-friendly. I'm a Priority Club member, but usually have to ask for water and snacks. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone traveling with pets!

Room Tip: I always request a room away from the elevators. I do not recommend rooms on the 1st floor. They wil...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Mifflin, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear ellenbeepa,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our valued guests, to let us know how we
are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer.

Joel B
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Elkridge
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed here when returning home from a family event. It had been several years since we had stayed here. This is a bit of an older property but I remembered that service was very good here and that they take pets, which I appreciate, even though I did not have my dog on this trip. I may have been recognized as a Gold member when I checked in, I don't remember what was said, however, I did not receive water or anything from the front desk and every HIE I have stayed at recently has done so. I definitely suggest to management that this policy be implemented. I stayed at 3 IHG properties on this trip and the bed in West Mifflin was definitely the best. In the morning, I was a bit disappointed that rubbish containers inside and out were overflowing and the dining room attendant seemed to be somewhat disengaged from his job. I am not sure I would stay here again as there are other hotel chains in the immediate area. I would appreciate hearing from the GM about my concerns.

Room Tip: I had a room at the back of the hotel. The parking lot in the back was not too full so it was very q...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a three-night stay at the Holiday Inn Express in West Mifflin, PA. Our first floor room was quiet, clean, comfortable and well-equipped. Breakfast area was well-stocked with the usual cold items, eggs, bacon, etc. Staff were all friendly and helpful. I believe this property may recently have has some renovations because the lobby and breakfast areas were clean, bright and attractive. We want to give a special shout-out to the maids who took good care of our room for the three days we were there. The only downsides would be for anyone looking for a pool and/or exercise area. This hotel has no pool and the exercise area has a single treadmill and only two other pieces of equipment which I find a bit unusual for a property as large and otherwise excellent. Still, Holiday Inn Express rates a big thumbs-up from us.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Myers Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express West Mifflin last summer on the way back from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal while visiting relatives in Bethel Park and picking up our dog and cat at a local kennel in South Park. We didn't check in until very late. I remember it was about 8:30PM. We wanted to hurry to our room, but the front desk clerk kept us waiting disputing with us about a deposit we had to make on the room for fear we might trash it. This is a motel policy which I don't encounter very often but which I disapprove of. As if that weren't bad enough, the next morning life was made very hard for us tourists. The breakfast room was jammed --- and not by tourists! No! The room was filled with geeky engineers having a conference in a room just down the hall from where we were sleeping. And they decided to have breakfast during a break in the proceedings. Where did they come from? The nearby Bettis Atomic Power Laboratory, of course. Not that I have anything against Bettis. Far from it! My father used to work there for many years before he retired. But should the Holiday Inn allow the motel to be dominated by non-guests? I don't think so. The presence of the engineers also made it difficult when it came time to pack up the car and leave. Our Labrador Retriever, who is rather excitable, had to hurry past the conference room.

Room Tip: Stay in a room away from the conference room. You'll be glad you did.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Linda C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Mifflin, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear LCargillTucson,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. I apologize that this visit was a disappointment for you particularly with the service received upon check in and breakfast conditions being sub par. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. We will certainly use your comments to improve on our efforts.

Again, thanks for the candid review and my apologies for the inconvenience experienced.

Pam G.
London
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The hotel is stuck in a drab time-forgot-this-hotel era .

Carpets are soiled; room walls are so thin that a telephone conversation can easily be heard in the adjoining room.

Flat screen TV, but it is bolted into an old, dark chipboard type armoire, which somehow is supposed to function as a wardrobe.

Housekeeping need to be alerted as to bathroom floors being dirty, soiled carpets and hallways that are filthy.

Air conditioning is extremely noisy - impossible to sleep with the unit on.

The fitness centre is a joke. Two treadmills and a cycle machine in a room the size of a walk-in wardrobe- that is it.

The staff at chck-in, are friendly, and that's about it

Room Tip: IF you have to stay at this property, then top floor, away from any trash shed pickup area
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank PBRD
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Mifflin, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear PBRD,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced over the room and hotel conditions. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. We will use your comments to improve our efforts as your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades.

Karen G.
Albany, New York
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Poor Experience. I stayed two nights. The first night the room was very cold when I checked in and it took 6 hours for the weak heater to bring the room to a comfortable temperature. The second night a dog in the room across the hall barked every time someone walked down the hall. After two hours I called the front desk and was informed this was a pet friendly hotel and that the barking was acceptable. I moved to another room on a different floor which had a very loud heater. There are several other hotels in the area that provide a much more pleasant experience

Room Tip: avoid the 4th floor which is designated as "pet friendly". Check heater before you unpack...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank cpnyguest
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Mifflin, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear cpnyguest,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am very sorry for the problems you experienced in your room and for any inconvenience caused you. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Connie D
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is my third trip in less than two years for family funerals. Each time the staff has been very kind and friendly. The rooms are clean and anything extra that I asked for was promptly delivered. Breakfast is hot and fresh and there is always coffee . Hopefully I won't be cack too son"

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
#4 of 5 in West Mifflin
Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh - Munhall
Extended Stay America - Pittsburgh - West Mifflin
Hampton Inn & Suites Pittsburgh/Waterfront-West Homestead

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Mifflin? Share your experiences!