“A Good Day Trip”
Review of Kennywood Park

Kennywood Park
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Kennywood is America's Finest Traditional Amusement Park! Located just outside Pittsburgh, PA, Kennywood offers a unique mix of classic rides and modern thrills, including six roller coasters, a 14-ride Kiddieland, and several attractions that cannot be found anywhere else, including the newly revamped Noah's Ark, recognized by "Amusement Today" as the world's best walkthrough/funhouse attraction for the past six years. Kennywood's three wooden coasters have all been designated Landmark rides by the American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE). Founded as a trolley park in 1898 and named a National Historic Landmark in 1987, Kennywood guarantees unforgettable fun for all ages. The experience goes well beyond the rides, as guests enjoy homemade fudge, Deep Fried Oreos, tasty funnel cakes, and Kennywood's world-famous Potato Patch fries! Whether you're celebrating a birthday, having a party, hosting a company picnic or family reunion, Kennywood has large and inviting private party areas with delicious meal options to please even the pickiest eaters.
Jane Lew, West Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A Good Day Trip”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Kennywood is the perfect place to go and take your family for the day, if you have a lot of money! I feel the prices have increased since the last time I was there which wasn't very long ago. It cost us $85.00 to get into the park and then about $22.00 for lunch and much more for snacks and such throughout the park. Overall, it was a good time but extremely expensive.

Visited April 2014

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Best park ever!”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I have been going to Kennywood since I was a kid and I have to say, it is still the best theme park ever. I've been to Cedar Point and Kings Island, and both are great, but there is something special about Kennywood. Once you're inside, the real world fades away and it's nothing but fun and good food. The Thunderbolt is by far the best coaster there. It's a simple, old fashioned wooden coaster, but the twists and turns make it so fun!
Kennywood offers something for everyone. From the high, fast coasters to smaller wooden ones, there is something for everyone. Kennywood manages to bring you new modern rides while still keeping the tradition of the old ones, some of which are historic landmarks.

They also offer Phantom Fright Nights in October at which the park is decorated for Halloween and you can ride in the dark. Also recently added in the last year is the Holiday Lights at which the entire park is decorated with Christmas lights. I haven't been to that yet, but plan on going this winter.

No matter what time of year you go to Kennywood you are sure to have a great time! It will always get 5 stars from this gal!

1 Thank Sanban29
Syracuse, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Ok, not what I was hoping...”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We arrived at Kennywood right at opening and proceeded to get in line for their biggest coaster, Phantom's Revenge. None of the rides were open at that time, but they all started running at 11:00 except Phantoms Revenge. There was an employee at the gate of the ride, who would not give any details about when the ride would be opening. Finally after waiting an hour and a half with no information, we decided to lose our place in line so that we could ride SOMETHING. Eventually Phantoms Revenge did open and we were able to ride it once after waiting in line for another 45 minutes. So ultimately we spent two hours and fifteen minutes of our day waiting for that one ride. The rest of the park was good and enjoyed a couple other rides, but it was a very frustrating start to the day.

Too bad Kennywood didn't make sure that their staff was empowered enough to actually give folks an idea if they are wasting their time standing in line for a ride. I understand the mechanical issues that can arise, but they should be better at communicating with their paying guests. I drove 6 hours to ride Phantoms Revenge, and got to ride it.....once....

I did notice some areas that did not seem as clean as I would have imagined too. I was expecting a well kept old time park, and some parts were nice, but there were some areas where I could see tons of trash in the brush. Disappointing....

1 Thank wmitche2
Jeff F, Manager at Kennywood Park, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
We apologize for the time spent waiting in line. While most issues are corrected in a short amount of time, it isn't always easy to say just how long it will take. The Team Members avoid giving a specific time so that Guests aren't upset if that time isn't correct in the end. We'll evaluate the way we instruct Team Members to inform waiting Guests, but ultimately it's the Guest's decision to wait or enjoy another ride in the mean time.
Southport, Australia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Excellent value!”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Visited the park on a summers day, expecting it be busy. With 4 adults and 4 kids, the longest line we waited in was probably 20 minutes. The old wooden roller coasters are fun for all ages.

My 9 year old niece loved the Phantoms Revenge! The kids were able to go on nearly everything (I think the highest height restriction was 52").

They have just opened a Johnny Rockets inside the park which is a nice change from the usual fair food.

The park closed early due to rain but they gave us all free tickets to come back another day!

Nw Indiana
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Fun, lively park”
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Kennywood offers numerous thrill rides in a beautifully landscaped park. Prices are very reasonable compared to other parks I have visited. Kennywood is unique in that the rides represent various time periods in amusement park history from the newest style of steel coasters to wood coasters built long ago. Kennywood is a great place to stop and spend some time at when in the Pittsburgh area.