“Love this place!!!”
Review of Kennywood Park

Kennywood Park
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Kennywood is America's Finest Traditional Amusement Park! Located just outside Pittsburgh, PA, Kennywood offers a unique mix of classic rides and modern thrills, including six roller coasters, a 14-ride Kiddieland, and several attractions that cannot be found anywhere else. Kennywood's three wooden coasters have all been designated Landmark rides by the American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE). Founded as a trolley park in 1898 and named a National Historic Landmark in 1987, Kennywood guarantees unforgettable fun for all ages. The experience goes well beyond the rides, as guests enjoy homemade fudge, tasty funnel cakes, and the world-famous Potato Patch fries! And Kennywood is not just a summer attraction, either! Visit on fall weekends for Happy Hauntings, a kid-friendly daytime event, or Phantom Fright Nights, where scare-actors roam the grounds and jolts await on every thrill ride! Visit weekends from Thanksgiving to New Year's for Holiday Lights, Pittsburgh's best winter tradition!
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Went once again this summer. My daughter who is 9 loved it as she was tall enough for all coasters now! We got there at opening and rode most of the coasters before it got too busy. Food was good. We used the Giant Eagle discount tickets to get in.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,059)
All reviews
in 56 reviews
"all ages"
in 61 reviews

Reviewed August 19, 2013

One of Kennywood's biggest upsides is that there really are rides to suit all tastes. The have nostalgic wooden roller coasters, thrill rides that will sin and flip you, modern roller coasters, and plenty of kid friendly choices. Went on a Friday and by noon the place was packed. They advertise that the gates open at 10:30, which is true, but no rides are open until 11:00. Basically pick the ride that you really want to ride and head there first. Much like in other reviews for here the lines really are terrible. Waited almost an hour and a half to ride the Exterminator, and while it was indeed fun, it was still a tedious wait. I grew up in pittsburgh and I still have to say I dont know what the big draw to potato patch fries are. On any given day at Kennywood you will seen rock concert-esq crowds in front of the potato patch stand. My advice, skip it. The staff is plenty friendly and there is even free parking if you dont mind a longer walk. All in all Kennywood really is a decent park (keep in mind it is a regional park) and definitely worth your time if you are visiting the Pittsburgh area.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

I have a review from last year that I gave it 5 stars. This year it's 4 which is still good but noticed some changes maybe management should pay attention to. My kids love going here and I'm sure we will be back.

THE INDIFFERENT: We were there at 11:00am and couldn't play any games until at least 12:30pm. I would think that everything should be in full operation when the gates open. Regardless, we kept busy until they did open. Someone mentioned about the lines being slow, they were but I don't know if you'll have that at most parks. My husband and son waited for the Black Widow for about 1 1/2 hours. The average wait for the good rides seemed to be around 45 minutes to an hour. For safety purposes, take all the time needed to make sure everyone is secured in. For the average person trying to have a fun day at a park, I'm not a fan of the fast pass (whatever they call them) where you can jump (aka: cut the line, see THE BAD below) in front of other paying customers. I think that holds up the lines and the staff members time to have to attend to them. It's bad business all the way around in my opinion. We teach our kids certain things in life but that it's okay to cut in front of people if you can afford it. I'm not blaming the consumer for buying it, I'm saying the parks should never have started this. Thanks Disney for starting that greed and craziness!

THE GOOD: It's not a far drive from Ohio, Akron area. We LOVE the rides and the variety of rides offered. The Black Window and Phantom coaster is definitely among the favorites. You can buy at the entrance a book of 25 game tickets to play games for $20. Definitely recommend that if you like games. We did it and saved $5.00 on one book knowing we were going to spend that much. We also love the old fashion feeling of the park. Reminds me of Geauga Lake that we used to go to in Ohio that is now closed. My kids were both thrilled to have won jumbo stuffed animals, one being a large minion. The choices of prizes of some games were great, especially at Pong Pool where my son won the minion. My other son won a huge pepper at the bowling game.

The park appears clean for the most part. I like the Litter Gitter making its rounds to pick up trash. We bought a large pepperoni pizza at the Pizza Warehouse, it was $20.99. Not as much as we expected to pay and it was pretty big and good. Definitely a better choice for a family. They sold single pieces that were very large for $3.??. Not too bad. There are places you can take in a cooler of your own. I also believe that they have lockers.

THE BAD: Holy bees! A big problem. If you're allergic to bees, stay away from this station. There is a station that sells slushies in big twisty cups with refills, if you can actually get to refill without being attacked. No joke! The employee was very unconcerned with the amount of bees all over the slushy station. There was a cup of something on the ground to attract them away from the machine, didn't work well. It was loaded with bees though. I'm surprised the station was even in operation. I told the staff member that it was a huge problem and I'm surprised nobody has been stung yet. They were all over the kids, trying to get up shorts, sitting on the handles that you pull on to get the slushy out, in your hair, you name it. I went back to get a refill and the only machines that weren't empty were the ones that were near the cup on the ground and loaded with bees. They weren't keeping up with making sure all stations were filled so people were only limited to the end were the most bees were at. BAD BUSINESS!!!!!

My husband noticed many young people jumping in line, right next to the young staff member in charge!!. These are large groups of kids together through a school function or a high school band. Not sure. He and another lady tried to bring it to the attention of the employee in charge of the Sky Rocket and he didn't even pay attention. That added on at least two more waits for others.

My husband noticed the same people using the same Fast Pass to get on and off the Black Widow over and over. As soon as they'd get off they would get right back on. No wonder the rides take so long. My husband and son only did that ride once after seeing that.

Overall, we had fun. I think next time we go it maybe during school season to avoid the very large groups of kids that are the jumpers. I think the park needs to pay a little extra attention to that situation that wouldn't be tolerated at other types of parks.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Not too expensive for entrance. Food good & very reasonable. Kiddie land great for my 2 year old & 6 year old. Tons to do for my 10 year old & my adventure seeking 14 year old.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I've been going to Kennywood since I was a child. Our recent experience makes me not want to go back anytime soon. The park has some GREAT rides, but this is negated by the fact that the service is so bad...it is slow beyond belief, so you are lucky in you can get on one ride per hour. The inefficiency everywhere is at a spectacular level. Our experience started with complete gridlock in the parking lot, followed by very long lines at the gate. In the park, every ride had terribly long lines and therefore long waits. The same with the food lines. While it was a busy day (Friday midafternoon to close) it could have been better if the staff showed some initiative. There was no sense of urgency in anything they did. This was not because they were trying to be extra safe with the rides. It was just a slow, "I don't care I'm getting paid the same no matter how fast I go and how long you wait" attitude.

1  Thank 4coolPs

Been to Kennywood Park? Share your experiences!