“Worst service ever!”
Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in West Mifflin
Reviewed April 17, 2010

I was in town for a conference with a couple of my colleagues. We booked this hotel because it was cheaper than staying in downtown Pittsburgh and we only needed it for one night.

Right before we arrived, a bad storm went through the area and the power was off. That was understandable; many areas had no power, so we couldn't get upset at the hotel for that. However, they had no emergency lights or even a back-up generator... we needed somewhere to change for an evening social and when we asked the front desk lady where the bathrooms were, she couldn't tell us. She thought* they were downstairs, but wasn't sure which end of the hallway the stairs were located. She did offer a flashlight though, and we eventually found our way downstairs to the restrooms and changed in the dark.

We left for the social and came back about 3 hours later and the power was still off. We asked the same front desk lady if she knew when it would be back on and couldn't provide an answer, so we canceled our reservation. However, since we still needed a place to stay, we asked if she could recommend another hotel or direct us in the right area but she didn't even know where the hotels were -- there was also no phonebook to look for places to stay.

Although I can't vouch for cleanliness of the hotel, I can say that the lady we dealt with was very rude and didn't seem to know her way around the area. I know you can't predict when a storm will knock out power, but there are other ways of addressing the problem and speaking with guests than being rude and un-knowledgeable.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed October 11, 2009

Cleanliness: Cobwebs on the lampshades, hair on the bathroom floor, didn't look like it had been vaccumed for days. Smelled musty and old, mildew smell

Service: Rude, each front desk person and cleaning person looks like they just got our of prison. I came back home from a family event around 1am and the front desk person was SLEEPING. I wanted to check on somehting and he was asleep in the back office.

Location: Centrally located. Pretty good.

Value: TERRIBLE! Way over priced compared to what you can get for just a couple bucks more down the road.

Rooms: SMALL! You can barely move around, We were constantly asking each other to please move, There is no room for luggage.

Breakfast: RUN FAST! Coffee has grounds in it. Eggs are frozen and dethawed in the microwave,juice is water downed with no flavor, waffles are the only thing worth eating.

Swimming pool: SMALL! VERY SMALL! It smells like mildew in the area, they provide towels that are damp already, rough to the touch too.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2009

I held the room on my VISA card. When we checked out we paid cash. They charged my card 3 days later and claimed that we never paid with cash! WARNING!!!! DO NOT USE THIS HOTEL!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 26, 2009

Comfort Inns are never luxurious places so as long as you keep that in mind, this isn't a bad hotel. The room was a little too basic for the price being charged, but at least it was clean and in good condition. My main complaint was the bathroom, which was rather small and dark.

Good luck getting to the place. A few miles of road from the nearby highways are littered with traffic lights, meaning you have to plan a lot of time to get to the hotel, as well as where you want to go once you're at the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 16, 2008

I wish I had read the reviews prior to going, but other Comfort Inn or Comfort Inn and Suites locations have exceeded my expectations. This location is a dump. I cheched out as soon as I found another location nearby ( The Courtyard by Marriot at the Waterfront, which was amazing). The staff are low class and unbelievably careless. Smoking or non, all the rooms reak of cigarettes as did the staff members I encountered.
This hotel is less expensive than other nearby hotels, but not worth it!!!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank RandSN
Reviewed February 2, 2008

We live in West Mifflin and needed to stay overnite nearby for one night. We chose Comfort Inn because it was close to our home. The first keys we were given would not unlock the door, but also the smell of cigarette smoke was unbelievable in the hallway on the 4th floor. We went back to desk and were assigned to room 322. Could not smell smoke on this floor. Upon entering room 322 we were appalled at the site of the floor. No vacuum had touched this floor, little plastic decals were on floor along with an unbelievable collection of crumbs and crud on the carpet, between the beds, and around the table. I can't imagine someone cleaning this room and what they were thinking when they thought they had finished. Then assigned to room 320. Turned shower on and before even using, water backing up and not draining, called desk and he plunged tub to get it open. He was very kind, hotel was quite disgusting and will let others know not to stay there. No compensation offered.

Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank desota
Reviewed September 28, 2007

First, I LOVE staying at Comfort Inns. They are by no means luxurious, but they are usually clean and comfortable. And the FREE continental breakfast is a big selling point for me. However, this one disappointed. Clearly, it needs some updates.

The bedspread looked well worn. The room smelled a little musty. The bathroom wasn't very clean. There was visible dirt and even some hair (ew!) built up in the corners.

When we checked in, the guy staffing the front desk was busy playing a computer game in the nearby office. When he finally noticed us standing at the desk, it still took him a minute to quit his game before helping us. When we booked the room online, we booked a king bed. We found two "double" beds in our room, which barely held two people.

The entire staff looked a little shady. Many of them paraded through the breakfast area at the end of the designated breakfast time, looking sloppy and unprofessional.

By no means does this experience change my overall positive perception of Comfort Inns or Choice Hotels, but I wouldn't stay at this location again until it is renovated.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
#57 of 72 in Pittsburgh
Econo Lodge Clairton
Econo Lodge Clairton
#1 of 1 in Clairton

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!