“Front Desk clerk "Charles" was Jerk”

Philadelphia Marriott West
Reviewed July 6, 2013

A block of rooms were set aside for a wedding I was attending. My family and I made the reservations 6 weeks prior to arrival and were sent an email confirming our rooms and rates. When we arrived, the front desk clerk "Charles" refused to look at and/or honor the price we were allegedly "guaranteed" via our email confirmation. He kept complaining about the "9 weddings he had to deal with" and said "I won't get fired over this" then he claimed he was the "manager" of the hotel. When I asked him to give me the card of the General Manager he refused thus preventing me from lodging a complaint against him. When I told I wanted to cancel my reservation, he told me it was too late to cancel without penalty, walked toward a closed door, peeked his head in and said "There is a woman out here cussing me out, call the police." I would not send my worst enemy to that nasty hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Mike R, General Manager at Philadelphia Marriott West, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

We were disappointed to learn about your experience. However, we are somewhat puzzled by the scenario that you described. We do not have anyone working at the Front Desk (or anywhere in the hotel) by the name of Charles.

At the same time, we would certainly want to honor any commitmenets we have made in a confirmation. If you would be kind enough to send me the details of your stay, I will be happy to process a credit for the full amount of any discrepancy. I may be reached through email at mike.rodden@marriott.com

We would appreciate the opportunity to resolve this matter.

Thank you.

-Mike Rodden

There are newer reviews for Philadelphia Marriott West

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Normally average is not all that bad. This might be the exception however. This is a full service Marriott, and an impressive looking one from the outside. Pulling up to the hotel was the best part of the trip. The rooms were very small and not in any better than a courtyard or even something lesser. Not up to Full Marriott standards in my opinion. They boast a tremendous view which I had as a gold member hoped to enjoy. Our view was of a Wawa and a McDonald's roof. Additionally it is quite misleading to call this a Philadelphia Hotel. It is well outside of the city and would take a very long time with traffic. My advice, the Philly Marriott is much better and similarly priced and right down town. We will not be back.

Room Tip: River View I have heard is much better.
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

One night stay on a Saturday in June. Hotel was sold out as there were several weddings going on. Front desk clerk managed to get adjoining rooms for our family which was appreciated. We were on the 17th floor with a nice view. Some party goer decided to pull the fire alarm at 12:30 which required evacuation. Hotel staff handled things as best they could. The safety and evacuation systems performed very well. Workout room was adequate, and breakfast buffet was a nice surprise with the variety of offerings. I think Philadelphia West as a location is a bit misleading, as the hotel is 30 minutes from downtown Philadelphia, but we needed to be in the Wayne, PA area and the hotel was convenient for that. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

I was expecting much more. Beautiful hotel from the outside. Once inside it is actually a bit dated, very average at best, small rooms hotel. Promises great views but as a gild member, I am looking down at a wawa and a McDonald's. I am not even a little impressed. I generally prefer full service Marriott properties. This is not at all deserving of that label. I will certainly not be back.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

This would be a decent hotel except for uncaring management with no sensitivity. I don't mean the service staff, who were all nice. First let me explain that I am from the area. My elderly parent booked two adjoining rooms. He has always stayed at this property through the years when making a visit to the area (he lives out of state). Sadly, this time he came to town to be evaluated for serious illness at a nearby hospital. The rooms were needed for longer than was anticipated due to the ongoing evaluation. Unfortunately, the U.S. Open was coming to town and my parent was informed that the rooms were needed. He offered to give up one room (where a family member stayed each night because he could not be left alone). He was told this would not help. We were referred to the general manager, who I believe is sorely in need of training in customer relations. He threatened to have my parent evicted by the police if he did not vacate the rooms. Now, my father is 85 years old, uses portable oxygen, and looks like the wind could blow him over. If the general manager had bothered to stop by the room to discuss the situation (as my parent requested), he would have seen this. His threat to call the police was totally unneccessary, uncalled for (my father never made any threatening remarks), not to mention downright mean. I understand that the hotel was in a difficult position, but the general manager also made no offer to find my parent alternate accomodation (granted, this would have been challenging given the demand for rooms because of the U.S. Open, but a little effort would have at least demonstrated some care and concern). Apparently, the general manager's only priority was the large number of guests who would soon be checking in for the golf tournament. Clearly, there was a way to handle this situation with a little more kindness and sensitivity. I believe that the way that a hotel responds to challenging situations is an opportunity to establish customer loyalty. Marriott really failed here. A little kindness and effort to problem solve would have gone a long way towards smoothing things out. I am disappointed at Marriott's response and won't be recommending this property to friends and family who are coming to town.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank RRF2208
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

We had a lovely stay. Our king room had a good amount of desk space, as well as small fridge.

Staff are very friendly and were helpful to provide directions and recommendations so we could get around easily.

Valet is $30 per day, self park is $20. Note that if you valet on the first night, the hotel will assume you will continue to do so for the week.

Internet is also $9.95 per day, so your incidental add up quickly.

Gym is good.. Has quite a few treadmills and bikes, as well as weights and a lap pool.

Restaurant is great. I ate the seared tuna, which was unexpectedly delicious. The filet is also good, as is the meatloaf.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

This is a very attractive hotel with easy parking in its garage below the lobby. We had a quick check-in but the room was not ready due to the many people who were staying for the US Open. Since we had to wait 45 minutes for our room, they gave us a complementary appetizer. We went to the bar (Legends) which was very clean and spacious and had beverages and the free hummus dip. We also took a Philly style pretzel from the lobby along with lemon water, Starbucks coffee and bottled water. This was a very nice touch for their guests and the next day they had water, coffee and donuts as well.

Our room was an ADA compliant one because we needed to have a roll away bed for our third guest. This made the room space very tight as the room was small and overlooked the rooftop HVAC system. Because we were near the rooftop we had zero view and there was some noise from the fans during the night as we slept. Our AC worked great but it was noisy. The bathroom was well stocked with clean but thin towels. There were paper products, soaps and shampoos from Bath and Body. The room was plain but the beds were quite comfortable. Because the room was ADA compliant the small but elevated sink had no storage underneath and not much on top.

Nice one night stay which was awarded to me via Marriott rewards. The lobby and the front facade of the hotel was very attractive but the room was just average. I would give this hotel a 3.5 star - because it was clean and comfortable for our stay. Would I recommend it. Yes but understand that it is average and you should try to get a discounted rate if you stay here.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Conshohocken
Residence Inn Philadelphia Conshohocken
Radnor Hotel
Radnor Hotel
#4 of 5 in Wayne
Best Western Plus The Inn at King of Prussia
Best Western Plus The Inn at Kin...
#2 of 16 in King of Prussia
Hyatt House Philadelphia/King of Prussia
Hyatt House Philadelphia/King of...
#1 of 16 in King of Prussia
Hampton Inn Plymouth Meeting
Hampton Inn Plymouth Meeting
#2 of 6 in Plymouth Meeting
Courtyard Philadelphia Devon

Been to Philadelphia Marriott West? Share your experiences!