“Insensitive management”

Philadelphia Marriott West
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This would be a decent hotel except for uncaring management with no sensitivity. I don't mean the service staff, who were all nice. First let me explain that I am from the area. My elderly parent booked two adjoining rooms. He has always stayed at this property through the years when making a visit to the area (he lives out of state). Sadly, this time he came to town to be evaluated for serious illness at a nearby hospital. The rooms were needed for longer than was anticipated due to the ongoing evaluation. Unfortunately, the U.S. Open was coming to town and my parent was informed that the rooms were needed. He offered to give up one room (where a family member stayed each night because he could not be left alone). He was told this would not help. We were referred to the general manager, who I believe is sorely in need of training in customer relations. He threatened to have my parent evicted by the police if he did not vacate the rooms. Now, my father is 85 years old, uses portable oxygen, and looks like the wind could blow him over. If the general manager had bothered to stop by the room to discuss the situation (as my parent requested), he would have seen this. His threat to call the police was totally unneccessary, uncalled for (my father never made any threatening remarks), not to mention downright mean. I understand that the hotel was in a difficult position, but the general manager also made no offer to find my parent alternate accomodation (granted, this would have been challenging given the demand for rooms because of the U.S. Open, but a little effort would have at least demonstrated some care and concern). Apparently, the general manager's only priority was the large number of guests who would soon be checking in for the golf tournament. Clearly, there was a way to handle this situation with a little more kindness and sensitivity. I believe that the way that a hotel responds to challenging situations is an opportunity to establish customer loyalty. Marriott really failed here. A little kindness and effort to problem solve would have gone a long way towards smoothing things out. I am disappointed at Marriott's response and won't be recommending this property to friends and family who are coming to town.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank RRF2208

Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

We had a lovely stay. Our king room had a good amount of desk space, as well as small fridge.

Staff are very friendly and were helpful to provide directions and recommendations so we could get around easily.

Valet is $30 per day, self park is $20. Note that if you valet on the first night, the hotel will assume you will continue to do so for the week.

Internet is also $9.95 per day, so your incidental add up quickly.

Gym is good.. Has quite a few treadmills and bikes, as well as weights and a lap pool.

Restaurant is great. I ate the seared tuna, which was unexpectedly delicious. The filet is also good, as is the meatloaf.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This is a very attractive hotel with easy parking in its garage below the lobby. We had a quick check-in but the room was not ready due to the many people who were staying for the US Open. Since we had to wait 45 minutes for our room, they gave us a complementary appetizer. We went to the bar (Legends) which was very clean and spacious and had beverages and the free hummus dip. We also took a Philly style pretzel from the lobby along with lemon water, Starbucks coffee and bottled water. This was a very nice touch for their guests and the next day they had water, coffee and donuts as well.

Our room was an ADA compliant one because we needed to have a roll away bed for our third guest. This made the room space very tight as the room was small and overlooked the rooftop HVAC system. Because we were near the rooftop we had zero view and there was some noise from the fans during the night as we slept. Our AC worked great but it was noisy. The bathroom was well stocked with clean but thin towels. There were paper products, soaps and shampoos from Bath and Body. The room was plain but the beds were quite comfortable. Because the room was ADA compliant the small but elevated sink had no storage underneath and not much on top.

Nice one night stay which was awarded to me via Marriott rewards. The lobby and the front facade of the hotel was very attractive but the room was just average. I would give this hotel a 3.5 star - because it was clean and comfortable for our stay. Would I recommend it. Yes but understand that it is average and you should try to get a discounted rate if you stay here.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Decent room prices and nice amenities. Nice hotel. It would be nice if they would give free wifi, but it is $10 per day. The restaurant downstairs is nice and good food. Not a whole lot around the area, so that is important. I've stayed here a couple times and I've never had any complaints.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed for a wedding and staff was very nice. The A/C is loud....enough to wake you up in the middle of the night. Free parking is a plus and the Philly soft pretzels are a nice treat. Don't stay here if you need/want to be near Philly- it's far from center city.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SMarcelli1023
Reviewed June 9, 2013

This is generally speaking an expensive hotel. We had a pretty good deal on it due to a group rate. I am glad that I did not pay the going rate since it was not much better than a less expensive hotel. On the plus side they did offer donuts and pretzels and lemon water in the lobby. We did not have to pay for parking as the gate to the parking lot was up. It was very clean and nothing was amiss. But nothing really stood out about the hotel either. The front desk people were minimally friendly. The beds were comfortable, the air conditioner worked great, TV was a nice size. They did provide extra towels. On the down side I would not recommend eating in the restaurant. It was extremely expensive and not very tasty. The homemade chicken soup was more like a pepper soup. I can make a tastier cheese steak sandwich than what was served. Chips were good. We had a good night of rest and that, I guess, is what is most important.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 8, 2013

The staff here are arrogant, to put it politely - except for the dining room, which does an OK job if you are not in a hurry for breakfast. If you are in a hurry, bite the dollar and get the buffet, but plan to eat a lot to get your money's worth. Dinner was great, but expensive by my standards.

The rooms here are OK, but the ventilation/A/C and heat system was awful in our room. The building engineer checked it, but it is the systems so nothing was done.

The bathroom floor was slippery with the least amount of dampness. My husband almost fell and strained himself to avoid falling. Housekeeping didn't even leave an extra roll of toilet paper or clean glasses for us - so that point was a failure at this supposedly swanky hotel with too much wedding business for its own good in providing customer service.

WiFi has a charge for use in the room, so pay attention. I didn't like needing to go to the lobby or business center for free use of internet. Parking in the garage here is also listed as costing $20 per day.

Access to the hotel, and getting out of it, are very tricky due to its location, so be careful if you arrive during peak traffic times.

Needless to say, I won't be choosing this hotel again on a future trip to Philadelphia area, and am not impressed with Marriott overall

Room Tip: If you sleep like a log and are not bothered by the noisy AC/heat system, then this may not bother y...