“Good food nice atmosphere”
Review of Marshalton Inn

Marshalton Inn
Ranked #34 of 255 Restaurants in West Chester
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Good food nice atmosphere”
Reviewed February 25, 2012

We had the Fish & chips. The Fish was tasty but the basket they put it in is tall and thin which keeps more moisture in the fries and the fish batter resulting in softer outer skin than what I would like. Taste was good just softer than other places.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank tjpw

Philadelphia area
“Wonderful Mains, great atmosphere and service. Just with the Main came with a salad...”
Reviewed November 27, 2011

We had the slow roast pork and the 'tuna of the day,' both excellent. We also enjoyed the starters. The one flaw is that the main courses did not come with starch or salad, yet for the price should have. The add-on price for potatoe with the pork was modest, so it's more of a principle-of-the-thing. Same thought re the salad--given that the house salad was just greens, it certainly should have been inlcuded rather than an extra $5.
The service was flawless and the ambiance great!

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank NorthArrow
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Fantastic food in a quiet rural setting. Highly recommended.”
Reviewed October 1, 2011

We chose the Marshalton Inn for a celebratory dinner and were extremely pleased with our evening. The staff were friendly from even before we arrived, confirming my reservation by phone call back earlier in the day. The Inn itself is an early 19th Century building with wide boarded floors and a bar on the ground floor. There are tables on the porch and others upstairs, where we were seated. The ambience of the restaurant was extremely appealing.
Now to the food: We opted for shared starters, over-ordering as usual. The portions were huge - the parmesan calamari was wonderful, as were the shrimp dumplings with ginger. The entrees were very good too. The halibut was nicely cooked and again, enough to feed two. My gnocchi with italian sauasage and broccoli rabe was clearly house made and tasted perfect.
I would echo one other reviewer: don't be fooled by the menu presentation which does not give the dishes true justice. Placing the menu in a leather bifold may seem a trivial change but I really think it would adds to the overall experience.
Overall a highly recommended place to dine - in fact top of my list for West Chester at present!

• Visited October 2011
3 Thank uktravailer
London, United Kingdom
“The best of international standards in Marshalton!”
Reviewed January 12, 2011

I live in London and travel internationally extensively. I hadn't been to the Marshalton Inn in years and was most impressed on a recent visit to find food to be of a standard comparable to what I would find in a good restaurant in Mayfair. A most enjoyable meal, excellent starters and one of the best desserts I've had in a long time. My only complaint is on the menus, which were a disappointment not in terms of content, but presentation. Simple paper did not match the decor and in fact detracted somewhat from the experience. Surely they can find some leather boards on to which one can fasten the paper menus? This small critique aside, I strongly recommend the Marhalton Inn for excellent food in a pleasant atmosphere with solid service at a decent value.

1 Thank FFTMMFA
Suburban Philadelphia
“A night to remember...thanks, Marshallton Inn!”
Reviewed January 8, 2011

My wife and I recently celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary with 20 other family and friends at the Marshallton Inn. While we had eaten at the "sister" restaurant, The Four Dogs Tavern, we had not dined at the Inn itself. In a nutshell, we both would have to rate the food, the service, and the atmosphere outstanding! All of our guests at the celebration seemed to agree. It was a magical night, a combination of both the dining experience itself, as well as the conviviality associated with being surrounded by old friends and family on such a memorable occasion. The hostess, Apple, set this affair up and was most gracious and amenable to our requests. We had five different entrees to choose from and an open bar. We provided the champagne and the anniversary cake.
The final cost of this affair totaled about half of what we thought it would be...utterly amazing! We will be visiting the Marshallton again and again to revisit the great food, service and atmosphere. Thank you, Apple...and, of course, Dave (the chef), too!

Visited December 2010