“Pleasantly surprised!”

Side Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #49 of 253 Restaurants in West Chester
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, International
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
West Chester
“Pleasantly surprised!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Clients had given me a gift card to Side Bar, so we decided to grab dinner Saturday night. We had been here before so we knew what to expect. This time I think we both left pleasantly surprised! While the atmosphere on the second floor is nothing to write home about, the food certainly is something to write about! We had the wings as an appetizer...good portion, nicely spiced. I had the salad special of mixed greens, kiwi, pineapple, walnuts. The salad was very good! I had the shrimp diavolo which was a very generous portion of shrimp with crab meat over rice, and it was very spicy! Well worth it! My wife had the pasta special which was scallops over Old Bay seasoned spaghetti with crab meat. Quite innovative! i tasted a portion of her entree and I believe the pasta was homemade. Both entrees were outstanding. We will return!

• Visited August 2013

Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“BEER HEAVEN”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Well...if you're looking for a nice, mellow, casual bar with incredible, impressive, creative craft beer selection - go to SIDE BAR. Nice staff - fair prices - too many choices for even the most picky beer lovers. We will return!

Note: We went at lunchtime on a Friday, so I can't say what it's like when the crowd pours in!

• Visited August 2013
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“got the good late night chef and waitress?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

I know there have been complaints about the late night eating experience in the past, but our recent late bar menu meal with friends was excellant. Perfectly done burger and Mexican dishes. I had heard rumors that the late night kitchen had recently improved and it turned out right for us that night. The problem is to be there on the right night at the right time for the right chef and waitress.
Also for once the service was fast. usually it seems to take forever for the orders to go into the kitchen then all the meals finally come out at the same time. We've also seen the staff standing around doing nothing and obviously not putting the orders thru right after taking them from the neighboring table. There seem to be a couple of very good servers, the other are next to useless. One Sunday the waitress sat at the table next to ours for 20 minutes trying to straighten out the gift card situation of the older woman there while we waited simply to get our bill, There never seems to be anyone in charge of making the front staff work efficiently, if they have a manager, he/she certainly doesn't manage. This place needs a restaurant intervention by one of the TV guys who go in and clean out the waiting staff.
A lot of good cooking is being ruined by the slowness and lack of concern of the staff. I wonder how it stays in business but I guess they sell a lot of alcohol. (N.B. the ratings below are for this one night and not for the other times we have been there and it was more mediocre and inefficient).

• Visited July 2013
Ardmore, Pennsylvania
“food needs work”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Wife and I dined outside on a lovely, busy friday night. Service was attentive. Food simply lacked flavor....like the kitchen didnt know what they were doing. Sweet p tater tots were bland and went uneaten. Mussels were a good size, but the sauce lacked garlic or pepper. The onions in the sauce were too big, were raw and would have been better on a hoagie. The dish came with a small dinner roll for dipping up the sauce. Wife's flatbread pizza also had no flavor...how do you make pesto pizza with no flavor?

Good looking beer list, next I will stick to a burger.

Visited July 2013
“Sat at bar for 17 minutes -2 bartenders NOT busy and it was like I was invisible so we left and went to social lounge.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

As much as I am out around West Chester - I never get good service at side bar - and I am a GREAT tipper.
I have given side bar many chances to WOW me. So NO MORE SIDE BAR EVER.

Visited June 2013