“WHAT Did You Say!!?”
Review of Core de Roma

Core de Roma
Reserve with OpenTable
Core de Roma is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 256 Restaurants in West Chester
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Adams Street
Reviewed March 24, 2013

The noise in the restaurant was so loud that I had to have the server shout the specials while she was next to me. Why do we try these places on weekends? The food was average at best. The mushroom soup had lump crab in it, so it was more like crab soup. The chicken dish was over cooked and dried. Could it be the 1.5 hours we waited for the meal? Small BYOB setting was packed for our 8:15 pm reservation.

I can't emphasize enough about the noise level. It was horrible. This was probably the most uncomfortable restaurant that I have ever been to. This overshadowed the evening. Out of three couples, two said they would never go back. I thought the overall experience was horrific due to the noise level.

While I read the other TripAdvisor reviews, I could not believe these people went to the same place. Should I not believe that these reviews were written by "regular" contributors?

1  Thank Steve M
There are newer reviews for Core de Roma

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Core de Roma offers a diverse menu of authentic Italian dishes served by an enthusiastic staff in a cozy setting. Gigi, the owner, seated us in the main dining area. Our waiter was knowledgeable about both the specials and the menu offerings, and his recommendations were outstanding. Between courses, we had a chance to talk Gigi, a native Roman whose father's paintings serve as focal points to the decor. The artichoke appetizer is the specialty of the house: three warm baby artichokes stuffed with cheese and served over a bed of spring lettuces. In a word, it was amazing. The mushroom ravioli were served in a white sauce that was rich without being heavy. The filling of finely chopped mushrooms was unusual but delicious. The lasagna was perhaps the best I've tasted and the portion was generous enough for another meal. Downtown West Chester charges for parking every night of the week, so it was especially nice to be able to park for free in their lot. I would recommend getting reservations even for a week night to make sure you aren't disappointed!

3  Thank lkersch
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Just got home from Core de Roma and had to share our thoughts. Warm, inviting atmosphere with an owner who walks around chatting with his guests, wait staff that is attentive, caring and willing to please. It's Sunday night and the restaurant was crowded! Lots of people out enjoying all the great food this newcomer to West Chester has to offer. And it is a BYOB!
We had a foursome..appetizers included the clams in white and red sauce, artichoke hearts, caprese salad...all great! Entrees included gnocchi, penne arrabiatta, veal...delicious.
Nice varied menu, excellent prices, service was acceptable given the fact that the restaurant was crowded. I think this restaurant will easily rise in the ranks on Trip Advisor as more people discover it. We enjoyed ourselves and are looking forward to going back soon...maybe within the next week. Put this place on your list! You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank Michael400
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I love good food and a BYOB. As a West Chester native, I have many wonderful choices for dining and don't have to return to places that aren't wonderful. Recently ate at Core de Roma and was thoroughly impressed. So glad my friend made reservations. On a week night in West Chester, you rarely need reservations but the place was hopping on a Thursday evening. Don't miss the Carciofi alla Core de Roma - artichoke appetizer from the gods ( I don't even like artichokes that much). My rule of thumb - try any special that sounds yummy -- I tried the portabella mushroom crab special - to die for. We had meatballs and calamari - delicious! Then I went with the Penne all’Arrabbiata. If you don't love it hot, don't try it. If you do, and you want a simple Italian dish, it was great. My friends tried Insalata Core de Roma with chicken (yummy) and a chicken special ( it won the main course first place at our table). Ask for a taste of their marina sauce. I loved it -- I don't like sweet rather a fresh tomato taste and it hit a home run. I'll be back and I have lots of places to choose from. Waiter -- can't remember his name but his wife's favorite is Penne all’Arrabbiata - love a guy who references his wife. He was great. The favorite moment - the owner came out, authentic older Italian gentleman who was so cute and friendly. Just go! It is wonderful!

3  Thank acwam
Reviewed February 8, 2013

What a nice surprise to find genuine Italian food in West Chester! The owner, who has a restaurant by the same name in Philly, is Roman and dedicated to the quality of his food as well as service.
I had artichoke hearts and "suppli", Roman rice balls filled with mozzarella cheese, and lentil soup. My husband had a lamb shank with risotto which was too much for him to eat. This is the first time I can remember that he took food home because he does not enjoy eating left-overs.