“Great staff”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Great staff”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

The hotel is lovely, well appointed and modern while keeping the Art Deco feel of the old Warner Theater. Bed very comfy. I am impressed with the reviews and the manager responses are a real plus! You don't always see that on tripadvisor.

Room Tip: Pick east or north facing room for nicer view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Lisa S, General Manager at Hotel Warner, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Hotel Warner and for taking the time to share your experience. We are happy that you enjoyed the Art Deco feel of the hotel and found it to be well appointed and modern. We hope you will join us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Chatham, Virginia
Reviewed June 19, 2013

the rooms and ambiance are nice enough, it's a very attractive place and well appointed. West Chester PA always has challenges with parking, so if you want free parking, the hotel validates the tickets for the public parking garage, which is a couple of blocks away. If you want to park closer, you might get lucky with the on-street parking, or you might elect to pay the $20/night for on-premises parking. But this review isn't about that.

It's about safety, the kinds of things that aren't obvious until UH-OH! Example: the rooms do not have emergency lighting. If the power goes out at night or there's an emergency at night that means leaving your room, you won't be able to see a thing in your room if the power is out. "Emergency Exit" doors swing INWARD, making a panicked exit is very difficult, if not potentially impossible. The front entry doors, which are marked "Push for Emergency Exit" won't open.

My wife and I stayed there recently, and about 2am the power went out because of storm. I use a CPAP machine, and I awakened right away with the power went out and promptly stumbled over a chair. I travel with a small flashlight in case I drop something, and it came in very handily that night. I went down the stairs and met the night man and someone else trying to figure out what was happening. After a walk around the block, I discovered that the hotel was the only building that was still dark. I returned to the building and asked if someone from maintenance was coming and was told that the maintenance man wouldn't come in because "the breaker will reset itself in an hour". Later was told that PECO said there's be a 2 hour window before power would be restored, after having been told that PECO showed no outages in the area. After a bit, the power did return and things returned to normal.

The really alarming part was that no-one seem to have been trained in safety procedures. If what I was told about the maintenance man was true, it's unacceptable.

The Hotel Warner is a beautiful hotel, and the rooms are very nice, but the apparent lack of safety procedures, the potential obstructions to a safe emergency exit and the absence of emergency lighting (just one per room would do) make me wary of making a return visit.

My wife an I know West Chester rather well, and I think I'd prefer to stay on the outside of town.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SJK353
Lisa S, General Manager at Hotel Warner, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Mr. Thompson –

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent visit to West Chester. I am glad that you found the hotel to be beautiful and the rooms to be very nice. I am concerned about some of the things you mention in your review and would like to take a moment to clarify a couple things.

First, regarding the parking options, you are correct that we do offer two options for parking. The first option is on-site parking which we charge a $20 nightly fee for. The second option is in the Chestnut Street garage which we do validate for our guests, making it a complimentary amenity. Your review mentions that the garage is a “couple of blocks” from the hotel when in fact it is only a half of a block across the street from the hotel.

Second I would like to address the power outage. The power outage the hotel experienced was due to a PECO outage. The town is fed by numerous power grids so it is not uncommon that one section of town may lose power and another section, which might be across the street, has power. Here at the Hotel Warner we are lucky enough to be feed off the same grid as the hospital. This means that we are a high priority and any power issue is corrected quickly. I believe that what the guest service agent was trying to convey to you was that once the power to the building was restored everything would automatically return to normal.

Lastly, regarding your comments about the safety of the hotel please allow me to assure you that the hotel meets all current building codes for safety. Emergency lighting is present in all hallways, stairwells, and public space. It is tested monthly to ensure proper operation and automatically turns on in the event of a power outage. The front desk also has a supply of flashlights available for guest use should a power outage occur. Emergency exit doors are located at each emergency exit. I just doubled checked them and the doors open outward and have panic bars. The front exit door is also working properly. Also, the hotel staff is trained on a variety of emergency situations and there is also an emergency binder at the front desk should they need anything to refer back to as a situation is unfolding.

I apologize that we didn’t do a better job of communicating what was taking place during your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We spent two nights here & found it to be a very comfortable, clean & friendly hotel. The staff were very helpful both on reception & in the breakfast room.
The continental breakfast was more than adequate & there is a nice little outside area if you prefer to sit outside.
We would not hesitate to stay at Hotel Warner again when we next visit West Chester.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel Warner and for sharing your experience with us. I am happy to hear that you found the hotel to be clean and comfortable. The outdoor terrace area is a popular place to enjoy breakfast or just relax and I hope you had the opportunity to enjoy it. The staff works hard to provide each and every guest with a great experience and they will appreciate hearing your comments. We are looking forward to seeing you when you return to West Chester.
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed June 3, 2013

The lobby and public areas of the hotel are wonderful examples of restoration of the foyer of a historic theater. Hallways are filled with pictures of West Chester. Our king room was exceptionally spacious and well decorated with a comfortable chair and bed, desk, and refrigerator. Furnishings were of high quality. The bathroom was spacious and clean with a good shower, but no tub. Internet is free and worked well. There are lots of restaurants and shops within easy walking distance. Parking is available in the hotel for $20 or in a public garage about a block away for free (with hotel validation). This is a first class hotel with one exception. The complimentary continental breakfast was pretty mediocre, definitely out of place for a hotel of this class; coffee was almost undrinkable. Luckily there's a coffee shop nearby.

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank areview28
Thank you again for choosing the Hotel Warner. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. At the Hotel Warner you truly get the best of both worlds. The lobby is the restored lobby of the Warner Theater built in the 1930’s and the guest rooms are brand new construction offering all of the modern conveniences. We do have a mix of rooms with tubs and rooms with showers in the hotel. We are happy to accommodate a special request if you prefer a tub over a shower. Overall, it sounds like you had a great visit and were able to experience some of what makes West Chester a great place to stay. We hope to see you again soon.
Leesburg, VA
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We were hoping to find a quiet hotel in West Chester to avoid the large number of soccer, field hockey, etc families that are in town for Memorial Day Weekend. Unfortunately, this hotel is just like the others in town, people running and screaming through the halls at 1AM. The noise of higher floors, slamming doors, and stomping feet all resonate down to the floors below. You need to keep your air/fan on to drown out most of the noise.

The room was a good size, clean and well appointed, $20 a night to park in their garage is like being in a large city, but they do offer complimentary parking in the public garage (which was fine). Breakfast was passable, the waffle machine was not working for our visit, so cold cereal or a bagel was the best you could get. The smell of smoke (allbeit faint) was noticed in the rooms, but we couldn't locate where it was coming from.

Disappointing hotel for the price, you can get plenty of alternatives for half the price, with all the noise, within a few miles.

Room Tip: If you stay on the top floor, you have a chance to not hear everything going on below you.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dave F
Lisa S, General Manager at Hotel Warner, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
We do not allow pets in the hotel, let alone livestock; so to answer your question, no, there were not any cattle in the hotel. As it sounds like you were already aware, the long Memorial Day Weekend is the weekend where the FC Delco Tournament takes place locally and does attract numerous teams to the immediate area and extends to hotels as far away as an hour’s drive. Here at the Hotel Warner we only accepted one team to limit the impact numerous teams can have on the experience of other hotel guests. We also had each guest here with the sports team sign a conduct policy that is generated by the tournament themselves. Any noise complaint we receive is dealt with immediately, however, I don’t show any for the night of your stay. If you choose to return to the area next year over the long weekend I would recommend you request a quiet room. All hotels have some rooms which are quieter than others. It looks like for your stay with us you had a room near the elevators which will be a little nosier because guests have to walk past your room to get to theirs. We also have our fourth floor designated as a quiet level. Anyone who makes a reservation requesting a quiet room is placed on that floor.

It looks like you were happy with your room itself. I apologize for the waffle machine being down. It is fixed and back up and functional. I am a bit concerned by your comment that the best you could get was cold cereal or a bagel since we offer many more options than that. Our breakfast includes breads, bagels, Danish, muffins, waffles, fresh apples, bananas, and oranges, a variety of cold cereals, a variety of oatmeal, a variety of yogurt and hard boiled eggs, as well as juices, coffee, tea, and hot chocolate.

I apologize that you feel the hotel was disappointing for the price. I assure you that the hotel is competitively priced for the market. I don’t believe that you would have been able to find a hotel in this area for half the price you paid to stay with us.
Easton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 25, 2013

This hotel is clean, nicely decorated and close to everything in West Chester. I was very pleased with the service and the hotel itself. The staff were friendly and very helpful. The hotel is located in town giving you almost too many options on where to eat or for shopping. I parked in the garage directly in the back for an extra $20 but tere is free parking around the corner. It rained the 2days I was there or I would have parked in the free lot. The bed was cozy and the room was quite good for sleeping. The building was an old movie theater and when you walk in the lobby there is a great staircase (really shows the art deco style). Contiental breakfast was included and the area is nice to sit and read or just relax while you eat. I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Lisa S, General Manager at Hotel Warner, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I am happy to hear that you were very pleased with the service and hotel itself during your recent stay with us. It also sounds like you had an opportunity to explore the town of West Chester which makes us so unique. I am looking forward to your next stay with us.
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Fantastic location, right in the heart of downtown West Chester. Convenient parking on site.

The staff are friendly, fun and willing to do what it takes to make you comfortable.

Rooms are guaranteed to be clean, nicely appointed, with Bath & Body Works bath products.

Only negative comment - there is a cigar shop next door, and the smell is noticeable in the lobby.

Room Tip: Higher floors do not carry the odor of cigar
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Lisa S, General Manager at Hotel Warner, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Hotel Warner. I am happy to hear that you found our rooms clean and nicely appointed. I will be sure to share your comments regarding the staff being friendly, fun, and willing to do whatever it takes to make you comfortable with them. It is always nice to hear a kind word and be able to pass it along.

Regarding the Cigar smell in the lobby I am happy to say we have been working with the Cigar Shop next door to find a solution to the problem. An engineer was involved and made recommendations to keep the smell from migrating into our lobby. The cigar shop followed the recommendations and they were completed this week. I have not noticed the smell of cigars since. I hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again and smell, or not smell it, first hand.
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Chester
Brandywine River Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chadds Ford
Sheraton Great Valley Hotel
Wyndham Garden Glen Mills Wilmington

Been to Hotel Warner? Share your experiences!