“Everything we hoped it would be”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Chester
Inn at Whitewing Farm B&B
Ranked #1 of 10 West Chester B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 7, 2014

If you are looking for a lovely Bed & Breakfast in a beautiful setting owned by wonderful people in West Chester County.... look no more. I had a friend arriving from the U.K. and needed a special place where I could take her sightseeing and enjoy upscale lodging as well. I made the perfect choice!
Sandy & Lance will make you feel like family. And where you may be expecting a typical continental breakfast found at many B&B's, get ready for a "Lance 3-course delicious breakfast", differing each day. Always fresh baked muffins, biscottis, tea, coffee, hot chocolate at your disposal. This family goes out of their way to make your stay special. We stayed four nights in the Paddock & Jockey rooms. Beautiful, clean wonderful rooms.
I will be returning to this Inn to see our new friends......!

Room Tip: I'm sure all the rooms are lovely. The Pond rooms will require a bit of a walk with luggage. W...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kornermarie

Reviewed June 4, 2014

This property is misnamed as a B & B, it really is more of a standard inn experience. The landscaping on the historic property is pretty though the property is hard to navigate and our room while clean and attractive, was inconvenient to the main dining area where they have things for guests. The whole B&B is done in the style of a motel. The property is difficult to navigate and signs are misleading (e.g., main house is private property where guests are not supposed to go, but there is a big sign for it.) Note that the pool shown on the website, which appears to be part of the guest experience, is with the main house and appears to be private. During our stay, though it was in the front of the property and very visible it was quite dirty. One of my kids commented on that and said, "Ewww!"

I was the guest of honor at Inn at Whitewing for our family's celebration of Mother's Day. However, I really felt like an unwelcome guest at a party when we got to Whitewing Inn.

When our family arrived one of the innkeepers was outside and was in the middle of doing something. He stopped very briefly to greet us, went back to what he was doing immediately and apparently we were not given complete directions.
We were directed to take any of the parking spaces by the innkeeper, but later had an uncomfortable confrontation when a guest got upset that he felt we were in the parking space for his room. Also, we were not informed that the barn area the main area for guests (more on this in a moment).

After we got settled and were waiting for a few minutes for my husband to finish in the bathroom, I wandered around the property with my kids to the sign for the "main house" since there was a private party using the barn area, which as it turns out is the ONLY central building for all of the guests. (As I said earlier, the rest of the property is motel style.)
I wanted some area to hang out since our stay was short husband to finish in the bathroom but there wasn't anywhere.

We walked to the main house along the walkway, went to knock on the door, were barked at by a large dog, and the innkeeper's wife ran of the main house and demanded to know who we were. I said we were guests of the Inn. She said rather tersely that the that the main house was private property and told us we were welcome anywhere else on the property. Then her husband, the other innkeeper, sprung at us from the woods, startling me, and asked what was the matter upon seeing I was upset. I explained what had happened and was again tersely told that his wife would not have yelled at us and rather condescendingly that his B &B is well regarded on TripAdvisor (the suggestion being if I didn't like it was MY personal problem and not the lack of service). He also stated that our family was welcome to make other arrangements, though I had not asked about that. He directed us to the barn (which was where the wedding party was).

When we got to the barn, about a half an hour after the private party was supposed to be over, we had to walk by the wedding guests who were still there staring at us, apparently for nothing, because the snacks that are usually out for guests were not out. The innkeeper followed us and told us about what was available and started putting stuff out, but we did not stick around.
Limited facilities in barn area included a dining room area, a library upstairs that contains very few books (according to my daughter and son, who went there later), and I was told, "a private area".

On our room: we had the largest room (Clydesdale). It is standard junior suite size (just came from the Hilton and can verify this); however beds brought in were singles so kids were cramped in smaller than normal beds. This is not a full suite, which would have a door separating the rooms.
There was enough room for four in the room but our quarters were a little cramped. (The kids' beds were right up against the furniture). The bath is not a full bath (just a stall shower) and was in need of a remodel because of cracked ceramic tile and a problem with the counter in the bath. The room had
no B&B extras (such as a mini-frig. DVD player, or robes). It had a very small TV, Internet access, and a hairdryer.

This is not a good place to stay for families, and given the unwelcome atmosphere, I would not recommend it for couples either, since it did not make me feel like getting romantic. Despite the hefty price tag, I felt we would have had more room and felt more at home at a hotel, though we have stayed at many B & Bs in the past and usually adore the "grandma's house with antiques" atmosphere.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
8  Thank busy_b_traveler
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Stunningly beautiful grounds. Impeccable rooms. However, the best part of our seven day experience was the helpfulness of the cheerful owners and staff. They were charming and most informative - even directing us when we got lost on near-by country roads. Complete escape...

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Visited for Memorial Day weekend and had a first class experience! The grounds are beautiful in bloom, we stayed in a cozy room that was extremely comfortable, and breakfast was top notch all three days. The Hay barn was quite nice, lots of snacks and drinks, and a friendly place to talk to other guests or the owners. Even got to watch the Longwood fireworks between the trees on the property!

Lance and Sandy were super friendly, and made an effort to make everyone feel welcome and comfortable.

As others have said, it's close enough to the attractions you want, but secluded and quiet we were looking for.

Would HIGHLY recommend and can't wait to return again!

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Although we could have done Longwood Gardens as a day trip from Washington, DC. We wanted to make a weekend out of it and chose Inn at Whitewing Farm as our lodging. The property is very close to Longwood Gardens and proved to be very convenient.

If this were my first or only B&B experience, I probably would have given a higher rating. But since I have stayed at a few others in the U.S. and abroad, I’d say they fall a little short. The Stable Room is comfortable, Sandy and Lance were pleasant, the property is beautiful, including the immaculate tennis court, but there was little value-added and the place lacks a certain charm. Breakfast was ordinary, a waffle the first day and an apple-filled crepe the following. Snacks, soda, coffee/tea, and water were plentiful and readily available from the Hay Room at any time. We didn’t plan on it, but due to rain on our first day, we left Longwood Gardens a bit early and returned to the inn in time for the advertised afternoon tea at 4:00 p.m. What we found were crackers, tortilla chips, and chopped tomato and basil -- not what I know of afternoon tea, but maybe I over interpreted. Sandy offered good information and directions to surrounding attractions and places to eat.

All in all, my experience was more akin to a Holiday Inn Express or something like that. Not bad, but I didn’t feel the warm fuzzies. I would stay here again if we return to Longwood Gardens and I’d take my tennis racket next time. Lance also anticipates completion of a putting and chipping area by next year, so this would also be on the short list for golf weekend in the Brandywine region, if they’ll have us back after this review.

2  Thank JojoRockville
Sandy S, Owner at Inn at Whitewing Farm B&B, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

As much as it pains us to admit, we must realize our inn doesn't meet everyone's expectations of charming. We certainly consider it to one of the best in the area and are proud most of our guests agree. Of course you are welcome to stay with us again if you ever return to the area.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

My husband and I spent four nights at Whitewing Farm. We loved our room the Clydesdale. It was so large and so quiet. The bed was very comfortable . The fireplace a wonderful touch. Lance and Sandra were the best hosts your could ask for. ! The breakfast Lance cooked each morning was devine ! He really tries to please each guest. We just loved the breakfast room ambience . They had very nice snacks in the afternoon and plenty of choices for soft drinks in the main room refrigerator. We so enjoyed meeting their extended family ..The location is very beautiful and close to restaurants for dinner. Gorgeous country setting. Thank you for taking such good care of us…Rick and Lynn B.

1  Thank CaliforniaTraveler17
Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

The B&B was under restoration therefore we couldn't access the main buildings however the owners very kindly gave us an upgrade to a suite. The room was large and spacious, decorated with a homely feel. The bathroom was small with a shower only. Not sure who the owners are as the lady who showed us to our room didn't introduce herself however she did provide a good recommendation for dinner. The breakfast was disappointing: fruit with whipped cream and a slice of fruit loaf. Not at all like one of the previous visitors described in their review. The location of the place and the grounds are what gave this place a high rating.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Glen K

As you noted in your review, the Hay Barn was being restored. This impacted our ability to utilize the space for breakfast and afternoon tea. All guests were notified in advance that a continental breakfast would be brought to their room during this period and were given an upgrade to compensate. We recognize it was not our typical breakfast but consider it to be top-end when compared to other continental breakfasts. We were glad to hear you otherwise enjoyed your stay and hope you will be our guests again if you are ever back in the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Chester
Inn at Mendenhall, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Faunbrook Bed & Breakfast
Faunbrook Bed & Breakfast
#2 of 10 in West Chester

Been to Inn at Whitewing Farm B&B? Share your experiences!