“Shared Plates”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We enjoyed lunch today at “Four Dogs” in Marshalton. It has been several years since we ate there, and I forgot how far it was from Kennett. Prices were on the high side, but, in total, lunch seemed a good value. I love the tavern atmosphere. Service was a little slow, but our waiter was extremely helpful and pleasant. We went because the variety of dishes on the menu is outstanding; the variety of draft beer is also very good. My wife and I shared two of the “Shared Plates” on the menu, Fried Oysters and the Artisanal Cheese Steak. Both were really good and the stylish presentation was very attractive in the old tavern room. We hope to return in a few months with friends and share a Cheese Fondue.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I've been going to the Four Dogs since it opened, and you really can't beat it for quaint & charming. But the food prices have really gotten ridiculous. Yes, one can take half of the sandwich home because it's so big, but I go out to dinner to have dinner out, not for doggy-bag potential. We only go there now when we just don't have the energy to drive into West Chester.

1  Thank CarlottaW
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Visited numerous times and generally enjoyed the setting (a place that allows dogs on the patio is a rare treat for dog owners) until our last visit. Everything that could go wrong did. Waitress did not know ingredients, order took forever to arrive and then it was wrong. We were dealing with this and willing to overlook some of it ( it was Friday, the place was busy, the waitress was new) until a server on the second floor dropped a heavy soup tureen off the balcony that nearly brained my dining companion while splattering her and her coat with soup. OK accidents happen and what pushed us over the edge was that while the manager offered to pay for dry cleaning they offered nothing else in compensation. I finally went and asked for a free round of drinks and that was grudgingly delivered. If they had offered to at least comp one meal we might have just laughed it off. As a result they lost the business of two families that eat out on a regular basis.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

I used to really like this place... they have a great patio and the atmosphere is great. Their food used to be great but then they changed the menu and also rised the prices and it's really not worth it. Last time I was there with my boyfriend I had clams and he ordered chessesteak. My clams were so salty that I couldn't eat it and in my boyfriend's cheesesteak there were mushrooms that were not advertised on the menu and he hates them. It was all mixed into the meat so he couldn't even pick it out. So we both returned our food and left dissapointed. It's overpriced and nothing special.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I really want to love this restaurant and recommend it unconditionally. I love the atmosphere. It is great to sit outside on a nice summer day, and equally as great to sit inside near the roaring fire surrounded by natural wood walls on a cold winter night. There is good beer on tap. The crowd is interesting. the menu is fine. It is pretty standard gastro pub fare, but dressed up with some fancy ingredients and dishes. My favorite is the open ham sandwich. The service is fine, the staff is friendly. All is good until the bill comes. I just always feel like I paid way more than I should have. I feel like the prices are about 25% higher than they should be. So the question is always do I want to spend more for the nice atmosphere or have similar food in one of the many pubs in downtown West Chester for 25-50% less?

1  Thank the_walrus_from_pa