“In need of a makeover”

Penn Werner Restaurant
Reviewed September 21, 2015

The building is very run down. By the parking lot entry there were mattresses, a lawn mower, and broken down appliances. The rest room toilet seat was broken. The decor is dated and dusty. The place smalls like a dive bar. Right off the bat I was looking for Gordon Ramsey.

I had a salad and the lettuce was not properly cleaned. The dark outer leaves were included instead of being discarded. Browned ribs were left in, and specks of mushy black leaves were interspersed in the salad. The salad was supposed to be Caesar, but it tasted like a bottled vinegar dressing, very sour. Pre-grated cheese and Sysco croutons.

I had salmon as an entree. The cucumber-dill sauce was bland and did not taste fresh. The salmon was ok, but was bland, overcooked and full of pin bones. The vegetable medley was cooked to a mushy texture. Home fried potatoes were nicely browned, but soft and mushy, not crisp on the edges as they should be.

They offer many desserts. I had coconut scoop cake. It was ok, but nothing special.

Table water here is right from the tap. No filter, and very strong of chlorine.

Looks like they make their business on the bar, but no one was there the day I was in town. It smelled very strong of stale beer, not clean.

This place could be a gold mine with a solid makeover. It's got a lot of charm under the current sad, broken down situation.

Date of visit: September 2015
1  Thank Freebeer12

Reviewed March 8, 2015

great brunch for $7.95, made to order eggs, omelettes, waffles, French toast, and pancakes--creamed chipped beef, sausage links, bacon, fruit salad, muffins, make your own toast, roast potatoes, hash browns, etc on the buffet table. The hotel is old, the place is not fancy, but it is clean, the staff is friendly, and the food is better than The Hitching Post buffet & $5 bucks cheaper!!

Date of visit: March 2015
2  Thank Bob K
Reviewed January 27, 2015 via mobile

Me and my family came out to dinner for a birthday meal! I ordered the Chicken Michelle witch was delicious! My husband ordered the filet and said it melted in your mouth! Will def be returning! The breakfast buffet is great to! Will def be returning!

3  Thank paisleymae72190
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

My husband took me here for Valentine's Day. The first thing I noticed was trash on the floor in the foyer. The second was the "hostess?" in pants and t-shirt with stains all down the front. Then came the dingy dining room with the "special" Xeroxed menu with an average price of around $35 per meal. Are you kidding me?? If I'm going to get gouged on a holiday, I'd prefer more ambience and cleanliness. I insisted we leave. No dinner that night...and I'll never go back. Great first impression folks.

2  Thank Lori M
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I had the crab cakes and my husband had the prime rib. Both of us loved our food and could not complain about anything. The prices are not bad for the quality and amount of food. The staff is very nice and everyone is always smiling. I recommend this place to everyone!! I also plan to try the breakfast buffet soon, I have heard great things about it.

Date of visit: January 2014