“Nice big clean room convenient to everything in downtown Wellsboro”
Review of Sherwood Motel

Sherwood Motel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Wellsboro
Reviewed October 17, 2011

The Sherwood is on the Main Street in Wellsboro (Route 6), but our room was at the back of the property, so we didn't hear any traffic noise. The mattresses were firm and the pillows were good. The room looked like it was recently renovated. There were plenty of lights in the room, including above the bed, so you could read in bed if you wanted to. The plumbing worked just fine, so I am puzzled by comments made by other reviewers. There was excellent water pressure and the sink and tub drained quickly. The room was very clean. Coffee was set out in the morning in the motel lobby as well as instant oat meal, but we went out for breakfast, so I don't know how good the coffee was. The Sherwood is within walking distance of everything in the quaint town of Wellsboro. I have stayed there in the past and would do so again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank treeface

Reviewed October 16, 2011

At first glance, I was disappointed with the dated decor, but a quick look around assured us that our room was scrupulously clean, and the bed was very comfortable. Having a microwave as well as a nice sized frig was an added convenience; the only extra I would like is a coffee pot in the room - the office offers coffee starting at 7 a.m., but I'm an early riser! The staff were helpful and friendly (as is everyone in this neck of the woods, it seems). We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CasualFriday
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I was going to give the Sherwood a "Poor" rating. But, based on other reviews, I thought perhaps the room we stayed in had not yet been renovated. So I'm being generous and giving it an "Average". While I can't say that I saw any dirt, the room felt dirty - to the point that I didn't sit on the bed or the sofa without first putting a towel down. And I wouldn't walk on the carpet without having socks on. There was a spot on the bedspread that definitely looked like blood. The mattresses were firm, but the pillows had seen better days. The tub drained so slowly that I when I showered I was standing in water above my ankles. My husband had to wait several minutes after I showered for the tub to empty so that he could shower. And then he stood in ankle-deep water as well.

The Sherwood is conveniently located on the Main Street of Wellsboro though, which is a big plus.With some updating/renovation, this could be a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has been recently renovated
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank LindaSG
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Room clean and neat. All lights working, bathroom very clean. Front desk very courteous and helpful. Heated outdoor pool tremendous! Even though on a very busy street, lots of truck traffic due to marcellus shale activity, was not a problem. You can tell the hotel has been around for a while, as they all have in wellsboro, but is in very good condition. Room was very roomy. As for the Babette review we had lights above each bed, no problem for reading. Sink and tub drained fine, as for coffee and cups after 9am cannot answer we were on the trails. Bedspreads are outdated, but who cares I just want a clean,well maintained, comfortable place to sleep and the Sheerwood fits the bill. I would stay here again and reccommend it to all. Just rember you are in wellsboro PA, not the French Riveara. We ate at the Native Bagel, outstanding, the Steak House, very good and the Wellsboro Diner, not much, average at best.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank thunderbird64
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Giving this motel an "Average" rating is generous. There is so much the owners could do to spruce up these tired motel rooms. Walking into our room, we wanted to walk right out. The room was clean, as other reviewers have said, but dingy. The slippery bedspread on a very dated bed should have been replaced decades ago. There are no lamps, only crazy wall sconses hanging over the night stands. No reading light! The general decor is worse than outdated. Their cancellation policy didn't allow us to walk away, or we would have. Clean, yes; helpful friendly staff, nice swimming pool, great location, yes. But you have to put up with poor lighting, dark, dingy room with worn out carpet and furniture, slow draining bathroom sink, finicky shower, plastic cups, etc. Your wake-up call will be squeeky plumbing noises from your neighbor's shower. The coffee offered in the small lobby is taken away promptly at 9, so no going back for a second cup. No cups are offered even for cold water from the dispenser in the lobby after 9! Accommodations are slim in Wellsboro, but the town and the Grand Canyon are worth the visit.

Room Tip: There is a newer building by the pool.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Babette023
tskst9, Owner at Sherwood Motel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2011

I am sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience at our Motel. I wish you would have spoken to us while you were here I am sure we would have been able to make your experience better. Also if you did not want to stay all you need do is let us know that you were not happy with your room and wanted to leave and there would have been no problem. Our cancellation policy has nothing to do with you not wanting to stay if you did not like what we had for you. We have been renovating all of our rooms over the few years that we have had the Motel. We redo everything in 4-5 rooms every winter and still have about 12 more to do. We should have them all done in 2 years. All of our mattresses in all rooms have been switched out for new Serta mattress 3 years ago so I am not sure what you mean by "dated bed". Our renovated rooms have new ceiling, new wallpaper, paint, carpet, furniture, flat screen TV, bathroom counter tops, lighting. Obviously, you had a room that we havenot gotten to yet. Plastic cups is something we have changed this past year since our town has had some water situations and santation requirements does not allow just running glass cups in the dishwasher acceptable. Our coffe,hot tea, hot chocolate and instant oatmeal is offer 7-9am as stated upon check in, but if there is coffee left after that we usually keep it out. If it is gone though we do not make fresh after the stated time. There are cups in the lobby by the water dispenser in the cupboard next to the coffee maker. Most of your statements could have been taken care of if you would have voiced your concerns/opionions while you were here. Therefore, making your stay more pleasant maybe. I am glad that you did enjoy town and the PA Grand Canyon and hope you will visit our area again.

Reviewed September 6, 2011

What a well run motel. This is the second time I have stayed here, however the group I was with has been staying here for about 7 years. We are golfers and take advantage of their stay and play pakage which is a great value.

This year as I was checking in around 5:30 p.m., my car broke down under the Motel portico, the owner Marsha quickly called a local mechanic for me who showed up within ten minutes and diagnosed what he thought my problem was, (bad battery). The mechanic got my car started and Marsha was so kind, she got in her car and led me to the mechanic's shop and then stayed and gave me a ride back to the motel. Hard to find this kind of care and concern today.

The rooms are clean and well maintaned and check in and check out was seamless. I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Paula S
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We did not have high expectations after reading lots of reviews on places to stay in the area. We were so relieved upon checking into our room. It was the cleanest and best maintained place we had found to stay in quite a while-anywhere. While being located on a busy street, we did not have any issues with traffic noise. We did have noisy upstairs neighbors. Several families vacationing together with small children running around made quite a racket, but they settled down at night and we slept well. Next time, I will request a 2nd floor room just in case. The hotel is located within walking distance to the historic area and town square. A great location.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wellsboro
0 mi away
QUALITY INN & SUITES
#3 of 5 in Mansfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Mansfield
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Mansfield

Been to Sherwood Motel? Share your experiences!