“A Fine Choice”
Review of Sherwood Motel

Sherwood Motel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Wellsboro
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Room clean and neat. All lights working, bathroom very clean. Front desk very courteous and helpful. Heated outdoor pool tremendous! Even though on a very busy street, lots of truck traffic due to marcellus shale activity, was not a problem. You can tell the hotel has been around for a while, as they all have in wellsboro, but is in very good condition. Room was very roomy. As for the Babette review we had lights above each bed, no problem for reading. Sink and tub drained fine, as for coffee and cups after 9am cannot answer we were on the trails. Bedspreads are outdated, but who cares I just want a clean,well maintained, comfortable place to sleep and the Sheerwood fits the bill. I would stay here again and reccommend it to all. Just rember you are in wellsboro PA, not the French Riveara. We ate at the Native Bagel, outstanding, the Steak House, very good and the Wellsboro Diner, not much, average at best.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank thunderbird64

Reviewed September 12, 2011

Giving this motel an "Average" rating is generous. There is so much the owners could do to spruce up these tired motel rooms. Walking into our room, we wanted to walk right out. The room was clean, as other reviewers have said, but dingy. The slippery bedspread on a very dated bed should have been replaced decades ago. There are no lamps, only crazy wall sconses hanging over the night stands. No reading light! The general decor is worse than outdated. Their cancellation policy didn't allow us to walk away, or we would have. Clean, yes; helpful friendly staff, nice swimming pool, great location, yes. But you have to put up with poor lighting, dark, dingy room with worn out carpet and furniture, slow draining bathroom sink, finicky shower, plastic cups, etc. Your wake-up call will be squeeky plumbing noises from your neighbor's shower. The coffee offered in the small lobby is taken away promptly at 9, so no going back for a second cup. No cups are offered even for cold water from the dispenser in the lobby after 9! Accommodations are slim in Wellsboro, but the town and the Grand Canyon are worth the visit.

Room Tip: There is a newer building by the pool.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Babette023
tskst9, Owner at Sherwood Motel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2011

I am sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience at our Motel. I wish you would have spoken to us while you were here I am sure we would have been able to make your experience better. Also if you did not want to stay all you need do is let us know that you were not happy with your room and wanted to leave and there would have been no problem. Our cancellation policy has nothing to do with you not wanting to stay if you did not like what we had for you. We have been renovating all of our rooms over the few years that we have had the Motel. We redo everything in 4-5 rooms every winter and still have about 12 more to do. We should have them all done in 2 years. All of our mattresses in all rooms have been switched out for new Serta mattress 3 years ago so I am not sure what you mean by "dated bed". Our renovated rooms have new ceiling, new wallpaper, paint, carpet, furniture, flat screen TV, bathroom counter tops, lighting. Obviously, you had a room that we havenot gotten to yet. Plastic cups is something we have changed this past year since our town has had some water situations and santation requirements does not allow just running glass cups in the dishwasher acceptable. Our coffe,hot tea, hot chocolate and instant oatmeal is offer 7-9am as stated upon check in, but if there is coffee left after that we usually keep it out. If it is gone though we do not make fresh after the stated time. There are cups in the lobby by the water dispenser in the cupboard next to the coffee maker. Most of your statements could have been taken care of if you would have voiced your concerns/opionions while you were here. Therefore, making your stay more pleasant maybe. I am glad that you did enjoy town and the PA Grand Canyon and hope you will visit our area again.

Reviewed September 6, 2011

What a well run motel. This is the second time I have stayed here, however the group I was with has been staying here for about 7 years. We are golfers and take advantage of their stay and play pakage which is a great value.

This year as I was checking in around 5:30 p.m., my car broke down under the Motel portico, the owner Marsha quickly called a local mechanic for me who showed up within ten minutes and diagnosed what he thought my problem was, (bad battery). The mechanic got my car started and Marsha was so kind, she got in her car and led me to the mechanic's shop and then stayed and gave me a ride back to the motel. Hard to find this kind of care and concern today.

The rooms are clean and well maintaned and check in and check out was seamless. I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Paula S
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We did not have high expectations after reading lots of reviews on places to stay in the area. We were so relieved upon checking into our room. It was the cleanest and best maintained place we had found to stay in quite a while-anywhere. While being located on a busy street, we did not have any issues with traffic noise. We did have noisy upstairs neighbors. Several families vacationing together with small children running around made quite a racket, but they settled down at night and we slept well. Next time, I will request a 2nd floor room just in case. The hotel is located within walking distance to the historic area and town square. A great location.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2011

BAsed on positive reviews on Trip Advisor, we chose the Sherwood Motel for our 3-day stay in Wellsboro for geneaology study. Accommodations were excellent as was the location. It was easy to walk downtown to eat and see the sights. So often you have to get in your car for restaurants and entertainments activies; not so with the Sherwood. Every spot we needed to visit was within walking distance. We even caught a movie at the local theater, which only seated 36 and was full.

Our first experience with Trip Advisor and we would heartily recommend the Sherwood and TA.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joe500-500
Reviewed July 8, 2011

The Sherwood Motel was a surprisingly nice place! I was glad for the positive reviews on this site that helped me choose this for our lodging in Wellsboro - a charming little town. Our room was not overly large, but very clean and comfortable. We were happy with the mini-fridge and microwave and flat-screen tv. The pool looked nice, though we did not partake this trip. Staff was friendly enough. The complimentary breakfast was not very attractive with only oatmeal on offer, so we skipped it. The front desk staff recommended the self-directed walking tour of downtown Wellsboro. We really enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it over any of the other places in town that we saw.

Room Tip: I called and they gave me a choice of upstairs or downstairs.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SydneyRom
Reviewed June 10, 2011

This was a great motel. The rooms were very clean, along with the rest of the facility. They offer oatmeal and coffee which was a nice addition. The owners and staff were very nice people. It is in a central location to just about everything. My husband and I will definitely stay here again when we head to this area.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ickers
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wellsboro
Penn Wells Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Mansfield
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#3 of 5 in Mansfield

Been to Sherwood Motel? Share your experiences!