Wellsboro is our last stop for our road trip from DC-Toronto/Niagara Falls. The town is very well maintained and quaint thus quite charming.
Based on the reviews, I tried to book a night for us (my husband, 2 kids aged 5 & 7) at Colton Point but it was booked. I finally reserved a night at Penn-Wells Hotel & Lodge. I only wanted to book the lodge as suggested by other reviewers and there was only one room left.
Pros: Penn Wells Hotel and the Lodge (the lodge is a block from the original Penn Wells Hotel) is on the Main Street and the Main Street is where all the craft/antique shops, restaurants are .... 1-2 blocks long with charming street lights ... clean. The location is convenient. There is CVS/Dunkin Donuts and a grocery store across the street. The staff was VERY personable and friendly. The swimming pool was huge. They were checking the 'chemical levels' at the pool. It seem like it was well maintained and fairly clean and of good size though it was old. 10 to 15 mins drive to one of the vistas for Grand Canyon. The vistas and the views of the surrounding areas were really amazing.
Cons: When we first walked into the room, there was this strong odor ... seemed to be of dampness ... or just something very old .... I immediately checked the sheets and they're okay. The smell seems to come from the carpet. The place "looks' clean though dated and pretty old. There was no vacancy anywhere so we had to stay. We asked for air freshener and it just disguised the original smell. The staff said it was probably from the carpet. We had to leave the sliding balcony door open while blasting the AC to manage the odor all night long (we couldn't get rid of it after having the door opened for a few hours). It can be just an isolated incident but .... the strong odor makes it one of the worst hotel/motel room night stays we had. We paid about $100+/night . It is not the most expensive hotel night we had but it was the worst for value. I will not recommend it despite of the very very nice people who work there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Penn Wells Hotel & Lodge offers the best in classic comfort and exceptional personal service. Located in the heart of beautiful Wellsboro, PA, just 11 miles from the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania, our historic hotel was built in 1869 and transports guests to an earlier era with its rich decor and wood-burning fireplace in the lobby. Guests will also enjoy fine dining in our onsite restaurant and a full bar in our cozy lounge. The newly renovated lodge property is also conveniently located on Main Street, within easy walking distance of Wellsboro's shopping and dining district. The modern lodge offers 32 suites with separate living and sleeping spaces and a kitchenette in addition to standard rooms. Enjoy a complimentary breakfast in the beautiful new lobby before venturing out for the day. The indoor pool and jacuzzi, fitness center, business center and guest laundry are all available for guests at both the hotel and lodge. Free WiFi is also available at both locations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Orbitz and Priceline so you can book your Penn Wells Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Penn Wells Hotel Wellsboro
- Penn Wells Hotel And Lodge