“I expected way too much.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wellsboro
Bear Mountain Lodge
Ranked #1 of 8 Wellsboro B&B and Inns
Port Allegany, Pa
“I expected way too much.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

I took my mother here for Mother's Day... as she is getting older and I want to spend as much time with her as I can. I only have a few complaints. The biggest one is that this place is hidden right off of route 6. If you are coming from the east you have a better chance of finding a golf ball in a snowstorm than you do this place. We drove all over Wellsboro for an hour and when we finally tried to call Amanda or Sheri there was no answer. So... we just drove around some more. To their credit... someone eventually called us back and gave us great directions. Another complaint is that the parking is terrible. There is no room for more then 5 cars and that is puhing it. My mom nicked my car door trying to get out because we had to park a foot from a log barrier. Another minor complaint is the tv channel lineup had NO guide whatsover so I had to spend the night trying to figure out what I was watching. I'm sure this is no big deal for most people but I wasn't there for a romantic night out with a lover. I LOVED the coffee pot so much that I must have drank at least five cups of coffee. When I turned on the water for the hot tub it filled with dirt and grime... But I got in it and enjoyed it anyways:) My mom enjoyed the little gift shop upstairs so much that she bought a tank top that says Bear Mountain Lodge. However... she only went up there once because this place is not designed for the elderly. All in all... it is a very nice place and I know I would have enjoyed it much more if I hadn't had to waste nearly two hours trying to find it. We WILL be back and plan to stay in The Wilds room which I hope and pray is at the lodge and NOT the meadows because apparently we both suck at finding places.

Room Tip: Unless you are a healthnut and enjoy fruit and granola bars you had better stock up on munchies beca...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kimmy P
jim m, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Kimmy P,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and offer constructive ways for improvement.

We are sorry that you found our location difficult to find. We will include directions from Route 6 West in the confirmation letters in the future. Currently our directions are from downtown Wellsboro only.

We checked and there was a channel guide in the bedroom portion of the suite but you are correct that there was none in the family room! That definitely is important, so thank you so much for bringing it to our attention.

Finally, we pride ourselves on cleanliness more than any other attribute. I want to personally apologize that the whirlpool tub was not up to par when you turned the jets on. This is absolutely unacceptable and I will contact you directly to apologize as well.

From your review, it sounds like you plan to stay with us again. We are glad to hear that and are confident your next stay will meet your expectations!

All the very best,
Jim Meade (innkeeper)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

This was our very 1st visit to the lodge and we are so very glad that we chose this most relaxing and amazing place! We were celebrating our Anniversary and my upcoming back surgery. I needed some R&R and we incorperated both of these events while staying here. It is a very peaceful place, we stayed in the Whitetail Deer room, totally amazing! Rustic looking but very modern and comfy as well. Very nice welcome basket and tray of goodies and refreshments already there for us to make a picnic. Thank you for the red rose and nice Anniversary wishes that were left for us as well. You have thought of everything. Will definetly spread the word and will return again I am sure! 5 Star!!!!

Room Tip: Check out the rooms online, you can not go wrong!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Suzanne T
jim m, Front Office Manager at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Suzanne T,

Thank you for your Trip Advisor feedback! We are happy that you enjoyed the Whitetail room at Bear Mountain and found it to be a good anniversary getaway. Your kind words are greatly appreciated. We wish you a swift recovery from your surgery and hope you will visit us again.

Be well,
Jim and the Bear Lodges team
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Bear Mountain Lodge for "Spring Break" and got 4 inches of snow the first night! We loved the lodge and all of the care that the staff put in to make our stay pleasant and enjoyable. Glad we weren't right in Wellsboro, but were close enough to get there in ten minutes. The fireplace, the jacuzzi, and the comfortable bed in the Canyon Room all made the stay memorable.

Room Tip: If we went back, we would stay in Canyon again or Whitetail.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WellWithMySoul
jim m, Front Office Manager at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear WellWithMySoul, Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stay with us! We are glad the Canyon Room proved the perfect place to be "snowed in." Please come see us again for another getaway! All the best, Jim, Amanda and Sherri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Honeymoon weekend in THE CANYON ROOM:

If you enjoy your privacy and do not wish to be bothered while visiting, this is your place. The easy check in/out was effortless. The rooms were stocked with various drinks and snacks each day. We especially loved the Kurig coffee maker, a great asset for a coffee/tea lover. The decor was visually appealing and welcoming. The personal touches by the staff were great and they meant a lot to us.I can't forget the amazing Hot tub on our Private deck and the comfy bed. The fireplace was also a nice benefit since it was still chilly in the evenings. My husband and I will definitely be scheduling another stay. Kuddos to the owners and the staff....I would only change one thing, to stay a little longer.
Can't wait to plan the next weekend get away. Keep up the awesome work Bear Mountain!!!!! Thanks again.

• Stayed April 2013
jim m, Front Office Manager at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear KandJHoup,

We greatly appreciate the review you posted and are so glad you found the room to be just what you wanted. You are right that the Canyon Room at our Bear Mountain property is the perfect cozy getaway. Please come see us again when you can! Your review was very kind.

Congratulations and very best wishes to you both.

Jim and the Bear Lodges team
Warriors Mark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed here last year as the honeymoon we never really had, and it was one of our best experiences ever. The staff were extremely friendly, booking was easy and efficient, but it wasn't until we actually arrived that we were blown away! The Lodge is gorgeous, with wood beamed ceilings and beautiful furnishing. The kitchen had all kinds of complimentary foods to help us plan day trips and hikes. And the rooms were amazing, including outdoor Jacuzzis I the woods, with lots of privacy! It was really one of the most satisfying hotels we've ever stayed in. And they still keep in touch with Christmas cards ad special offers. You cannot go wrong here, and Wellsboro is one of the most quaint small-town American places, it really is a post card.

Room Tip: Be sure to book a Jacuzzi room, there are several options!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nlcperk
Dear nlcperk, Thanks for posting a review about your romantic getaway! Many of our guests are couples looking for some time alone and we hope the atmosphere in our lodges is perfect! We would love to see you again. Thank you again for taking the time to write about Bear Mountain! Sincerely,
Jim and the Bear Lodges staff
Wading River
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

I MUST SAY LAST YR FOR R 40TH WE STAYED AT THIS PLACE HARD TOO FIND BUT WAS THE best place i have every stayed the staff stayed out of your way but had everything you needed for a couples get away lots of snacks for hiker and bikers stuff for breakfast drinks for the drive to where you were off too and the furnishing wre a little overBEARING ha ha but the owner
really has it togather

Room Tip: hard too find we had the 1st flood
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John C
jim m, Front Office Manager at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear johnnycast118,

Thanks so very much for taking the time to write about your stay with us on Tripadvisor. We hope it was a wonderful anniversary trip and that you will consider visiting us again!

All the very best,
Jim & the Bear Lodges gang
Genesee, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

While my wife and I were looking for a bed and breakfast to spend a mini honeymoon weekend, we stumbled upon the the Bear Meadows Lodge. From the moment we arrived, our expectations were exceeded. From the great bag greeting us upon arrival to the candlelight and soft music playing when we walked in the door to the Wilds room, everything was simply perfect. It was quite cold while we were there; however, the hot tub was warm, inviting and incredibly relaxing. Jim arranged a romance package for us at Emerge Healing Arts and Spa, what a great way to spend a cold Saturday morning! Teresa and Laura Lee were wonderful!! We thoroughly enjoyed our couples massage, Laura Lee's delicious chocolate covered strawberries and their friendliness. Jim, thank you to you and your wonderful staff for making our trip so memorable and exactly what we were looking for. We can't wait to return and make more memories at your beautiful lodge!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Wilds Room...beautiful, romantic and cozy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robb C
jim m, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Robb C,

I am so glad your stay in the Wilds met your expectations! We wanted it to be the best weekend we could provide for you. So far all of our guests who have tried Emerge spa have also said very positive things. Wishing you and your wife many more wonderful years. Thanks for celebrating a mini-honeymoon getaway at Bear Meadows! Come back anytime!

Jim, Sherri, Amanda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wellsboro
Rough Cut Lodge
Hampton Inn & Suites Mansfield
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#3 of 5 in Mansfield

Been to Bear Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!