“Runner's Paradise. Got Sheep?”

Arvgarden Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wellsboro
Arvgarden Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 9 Wellsboro B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, PA
“Runner's Paradise. Got Sheep?”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I call myself a well-seasoned B&B fan. The Arvgarden was a bit different from what I've been accustomed to. First and most important, the room was spotless. It's a basic no frills room with a very comfortable bed. Lots of brightness and windows to open to allow the immaculately clean air to heal your lungs. I really cannot see a need to ever have air conditioning here. The nights go down to 60s even if these days were hot. But it's there if you need it. The breakfasts were good and ample. A nice place. Hilma was sincere and gracious. Keith has been the victim of a few arrows by reviewers here. And yes, he didn't ask much if anything about us or our lives. I found that odd as well. By after a few days I chalked it up to Keith being Keith - that's just his character, his personality. It's not intentional and he loves to tell his stories - so what? He was very nice otherwise. The sheep were interesting and you cannot hear them whatsoever from your room. OK, a few things to improve on (because no B&B is perfect..). I would have enjoyed locks on the doors - not because I don't trust people, it's just a necessity. Because of the beautiful floors and the sparseness of the rooms, things can get echo-y or loud if you have loud guests, This wasn't much of an issue, but the walls do sound a bit thin. Lastly, I love a later breakfast (9:30 am) after my morning run, yet we were kindly asked to have breakfasts at 8 am. Not huge, but I would have a liked a little flexibility.

Otherwise, a clean place to stay in God's country. Step out the door and run country roads for miles. A runner's paradise.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank musicdinosaur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Stony Point, New York
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I should have taken heed at the one not so great review..I totally agree..The place is very VERY clean....immaculate!! Lovely cozy bed and the bathroom was spotless.....VERY! But the sheep farm was boring. .I don't know why I expected it to be somewhat exciting..Like the other reviewer said..the husband was
obnoxious ,condescending and annoying. When you check in they have this strange ritual and you have to listen to about 40 minutes of a narcissist , scripted diatribe all about their weaving and their fantastic farm life. He was jut plain smug. I have a masters degree..I'm not an idiot but he made me feel like one..or tried.It's all about THEM. Not once did they ask a question about us?? How was your drive..where did you come from?? Not normal or welcoming.I was told when showed my room that it was going to be an open window night..I said I wanted to to turn on the a/c three times and three times he told me I wouldn't need it It was stuffy in there and he didn't even want me to turn on the ceiling fan??I eventually became firm and he acquiesced ..WHAT??. When I asked him the pass code to get online he seemed annoyed... Breakfast was delicious but he hovered over us all during breakfast cutting off our conversations..When we were getting ready to leave..the wife told me my credit card wasn't working to pay for check out..I knew there was plenty of of money on it. For at least 5 minutes she gave me looks like I was trying to scam her as I kept telling her it was fine..I was upset and started to call my bank and she tried it again and it was fine. She barely apologized to me for her mistake and getting me all upset. Never ever again!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank kristlkrost
Allison Park, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Hilma and Keith are great hosts and make you feel right at home the minute you step in. This is our second stay at Arvgarden and we enjoyed ourselves. Normally we fly fish in the area, but this time we hiked the Grand Canyon. This B&B is located in a peaceful setting and the scenary is beautiful. Very clean rooms and lovely decor.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank debra T
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 30, 2012

This was our 2nd trip to the Wellsboro area and the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon. We liked our first trip that much. This time we stayed at Arvgarden Bed and Breakfast, on 5/24 and 5/25. We were very pleased with the accommodations. The rooms were very clean, spacious and quite comfortable. Both Hilma and Keith were excellent hosts and made us feel quite at home. They showed us around the farm and explained how they do weaving on the looms. Very interesting. Breakfast both mornings was quite tasty with a great view from the dining room, which looks out over the fields of the sheep farm. Very pretty. The farm is very scenic and very well maintained. For those of you that may have driven past a pig or cow farm recently, you probably thought your nose was your worst enemy. Well, fear not. This farm was not a smelly place at all. There’s no overwhelming odor, so put your worries aside. We actually walked down past the farm and pastures where the sheep were grazing. They are interesting to watch and kept us entertained for a little while. Keith maintains a series of walking paths around the perimeter of the fields and down to the small pond at the back of the property. We walked the whole way around the farm the first evening and found some very pretty views looking over the fields and one exceptional view through a break in the trees looking out to the distant hills. Arvgarden is a very peaceful and relaxing setting. The hosts are very willing to recommend places to eat and provide advice on site seeing plans.

The Wellsboro area is very scenic and relaxing, but of course if you are looking for exercise, then there’s plenty of opportunity to burn a few calories with hiking/biking. There are several overlooks in the Leonard Harrison park and excellent trails all offering some spectacular views. You have to try the Turkey Path down to the bike trail. It’s a fun excursion that will likely take you 1.5 to 2 hours, but the multiple waterfalls are worth the trip. We really enjoyed both Leonard Harrison and Colton Point parks. The turkey path in Colton Point park is definitely a bit more challenging, so if you aren’t a serious hiker, stick with the trail in Leornard Harrison park. Both parks offer their own unique views of the area. Be sure to visit all the lookouts on both sides of the valley. Motorcycle riders will enjoy the ride up to Colton Point. Shady and lots of winding road to enjoy. You’ll see plenty of other bikers enjoying the rides on the country roads. Bicycle riding on the bike path (rails to trails) is very scenic and relaxing. Be sure to bike up river on your way out and down river on the return trip if you plan to ride any sizable distance….believe us, the slight grade makes a difference on the way back. You’ll be glad you took our advice. We rode the trail from Rattlesnake rock up to the Tiadaghton access point and then turned around (about 20 miles round trip). A few general tips: Get a cinnamon roll at the Wellsboro Diner…wow, tasty. Take the ice cream express train trip…relaxing and enjoyable scenery. Ride the bike trail. Canoe down Pine Creek, but be sure to use Pine Creek outfitters. We used another provider just up the road from them that really needed to get their act together. Take a drive down the country roads and take it all in. Overall, another enjoyable trip and we’ve already decided that we will return for another visit. The area has enough to offer to keep you busy for 2 full days.

Anyhow, we enjoyed our 2nd trip to the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon and our stay at this B & B. If you need to get away, give it a try.

Room Tip: All rooms were pretty similar with the exception that one had a double bed. Rooms in the back of the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank HBandSP
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Stayed over Memorial Day weekend with my wife and young son and cannot say enough about the Arvgarden and the surrounding area in general. Keith and Hilma are indeed the perfect hosts, making us feel right at home despite the sometimes rambunctious behavior of our young son. The grounds are beautiful and provide for splendid views of the Arvgarden sheep, bright flowers, and the adjacent farm. We found the mowed paths to be well suited for long scenic walks. Hilma's cooking is fantastic (my wife and I particularly enjoyed her baking!) and gave us something to look forward to each morning. The rooms are immaculately kept, comfortable (temperature controlled), and provided ample space for two adults and a young child. I encourage anyone visiting to pack sturdy shoes and a backpack to carry water and light snacks, as there are tremendous hiking trails all over the Wellsboro area, including the two state parks on each side of Pine Creek Gorge. To sum up, it was refreshing to be in the company of two people who seemed to thoroughly enjoy hosting others and to roam around in an environment that, at least temporarily, made us forget all Blackberry's, conference calls, meetings, and laptops! We will surely be back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Dru8816
Rochester
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I stayed here with my son for two nights. We had a wonderful experience, including a tour of the barn, watching many only weeks old lambs jumping around! The hosts are most welcoming and considerate; they made us feel at home at once. The fresh made breakfast was excellent.

We stayed in the region to attend a specific event, so we didn't get to explore the region much. This B&B is in the open countryside, and I had hoped we would have a clear night sky with a good view of the milky way, but the moon was full, so that limited what we could see. I can't blame the B&B for that:-)

Next time I have business in this area, I will do what I can to stay here again. It added a wonderful, different dimension to our trip.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
New York, NY
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Keith and Hilma are the perfect hosts and their B and B is cozy, warm and inviting. My colleagues and I spent one night here while visiting Mansfield University and we got a great night sleep on crisp sheets and heavenly beds. The rooms are spacious and everything is spotless. The entire home is very roomy and sits on acres and acres of beautiful land. A great bonus is being able to visit the sheep and rams on the property - bred for their wool. We just missed the birth of all the new lambs which are due beginning March 10th. We were reluctant to leave such peace and tranquility - and the delicious breakfast!

Room Tip: There are just 4 rooms...all are good.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank GGOT
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wellsboro
Penn Wells Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Mansfield
La Belle Auberge
La Belle Auberge
#2 of 9 in Wellsboro

Been to Arvgarden Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!