“Cool Experience for a Fraidy Cat”

Whitewater Challengers
Poconos Whitewater Rafting Family Style Adventure
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Weatherly
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Whitewater rafting on the Lehigh River is an exciting adventure through the Pocono Mountain Region of PA. Choose from a variety of outdoor adventures from mild to wild. Our most popular trips are our Family Style Whitewater (ages 5+)and Our Premier Whitewater Trip (ages 9+). Great for experienced rafters and first timers. NEW for 2017 is our Premier Plus Whitewater Rafting Trip which offers a smaller, more personal trip option through the class 2-3 rapids of the Lehigh Gorge State Park. Try a more challenging experience with our Whitewater Marathon that takes you through 25 miles of the Lehigh Gorge State Park or our NEW Inflatable Kayaking (Ducky) Trip. No matter your experience level, the Lehigh River offers a trip meant for you! Join us at the Lehigh River Adventure Center to combine your rafting experience with camping, biking, hiking, paintball, and more. Onsite dining services provides three meals a day for a reasonable price. It's the most fun you'll have all year!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cool Experience for a Fraidy Cat”
Reviewed August 18, 2014

I bought a Living Social Voucher for this trip.

1. Organization - For the most part, everything was organized - bus pick up, getting life vest, bust ride to rafts, docking raft, etc...

2. Rafting experience - I have gone rafting a few times and this was an awesome experience. A lot more rapids than I was used to which made it fun and challenging. There were enough quiet areas where you could enjoy the scenery. The guides were great. We got stuck on a couple of rocks and the guides were very patient in guiding us off. Lunch was the only negative part. You were given a sandwich, a bag of chips, a bag of cookies, and a bottle of water. Guess what! You had to put them in your open life vest. There were no tables or chairs. You either had to sit on the ground or sit on the edge of your raft. I've been on other rafting trips where they had a little picnic area set up for you to at least unwind from your rafting experience.

3. Facility - The bathrooms were overcrowded, particulary the women's bathroom. The changing rooms had a small area to place your belongings. It would have been nice if they had a larger table in each changing room or a seat to place all your things. I had to place things on the floor which wasn't pleasant.

For the money paid for the trip and not having to drive to PA, the experience was well worth it.

1 Thank RENEGADE_TRAVELLER
Ken P, Manager at Whitewater Challengers, responded to this review, February 24, 2015
Thanks for the kind words. It really is an awesome ride, isn't it? And yes, we agree. We'd love to have picnic tables and facilities at all the lunch stops too, but in certain parts of our state parks, we're just not allowed to build structures of any kind. It's the park's way of trying to keep things as natural and as pristine as possible, and in general, we support that objective. A lot of people really enjoy sitting on a rock ledge overlooking a whitewater river surrounded by natural wilderness. Here at the Lehigh, inside the state park, we feel like that's part of the charm and the authenticity of an outdoor adventure. Thanks again for joining us, and we hope to see you again!

Woodbridge, New Jersey, United States
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Worth Every Penny”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

I cannot believe that I read reviews on here that the staff was rude or not courteous because each staff member I encountered for my entire Whitewater rafting experiencing went out of their way to express their gratitude for my business and were pleasant to deal with. They were extremely helpful throughout the whole rafting experience and ensured everyone's safety without sacrificing any fun as well.

We went during a Dam Release on a Saturday and there were roughly 15-20 rafts in the water. However, this proved to be more fun than a nuisance. While at times you may bounce off the other rafts, the river is still plenty big to have a enjoyable experience

We had never gone whitewater rafting before and this was an amazing first time experience. There were some crazy rapids at times and also some down times to just float and relax or to soak the other rafts. Which reminds me, make sure you bring those styrofoam water guns because it makes the experience even more fun, especially if you have children!

We also purchased the packaged lunch from the company and it was given to us prior to our departure from their facility. It included a ham sandwich, chips, cookies, and a water bottle. We also had a granola bar that was given to us prior to parking. This was plenty of food for the experience and definitely worth the money, especially if you are from out of state like us and staying at a local hotel. Additionally, if you pack your own lunch, pack light because they only give you a 5 gallon bucket to put your stuff in. While they will give you two, I would recommend not having more buckets than that because you will have a third bucket for emptying the water out of your raft and these also will float around and hit your legs during the ride.

This also reminds me to bring up their facility. While we did not stay for the entire experience, their facility is located on a campground with zip lining, basketball courts, and paint balling while also providing changing/shower facilities and a gift shop. As for the whitewater rapids, they are roughly 10-15 minutes away and they take you there on a bus. However, I have read that this is not entirely uncommon for Whitewater Rafting in PA as most businesses are not located directly on the river.

The entire experience last roughly 5 hours, with 3 hours actually being in the water. This experience was great for beginners to get their feet wet and see what Whitewater rafting is all about. It also has me wanting more now from higher class rapids. This company was great enough that if they provide a more adventurous rapids experience, such as ones in NY, I would definitely keep my business with Whitewater Challengers

Visited July 2014
Thanks SO much. Our staff really work hard, every day, to earn your appreciation and respect, and it's so nice when that is acknowledged. I'll be certain to pass along your praise to them. And yes, we do offer more challenging rapids on rafting trips in upstate New York, on the Hudson River Gorge near Gore Mountain, on the Black River canyon near Watertown and on the Lower Moose River near Old Forge. You might want to check those out. Same great staff; bigger boats; a guide in each raft; and a true western-style rafting adventure. You'll love it!
Holbrook, New York
158 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 129 helpful votes
“Awesome!”
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

My dad and I went on whitewater rafting and we had a blast. Although I fell over into the water, I was able club back in with the help of my team. Alisha, our, leader, was very professional. Sanchez, our bus driver, was safe and cautious. Directions and safety were clear and helpful and saved my life. The experience taught me how to work as a team. My body felt sore afterwards, but, it was well worth it.

Ken P, Owner at Whitewater Challengers, responded to this review, February 25, 2015
Glad you enjoyed your trip - in spite of falling in. In my 41 seasons here, I've fallen in probably a dozen times or more, and you're right, the adrenaline rush is incredible, and while it feels so out of control when you splash into the river, we've learned that the Lehigh is a very "user-friendly" river where really all you need to do is relax and float down to the next calm spot, which is never all that far away. Of course having guides nearby helps too - which is why we're here. Hope to see you again soon!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Simply Amazing!”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Amazing views, amazing guide (request Sunshine!), amazing rafting- no complaints...wish I could do it every weekend!

1 Thank aball27
Amazing review! Thanks so much. Oh, and by the way, you COULD do it every weekend - as a river guide. We're always reaching out to folks who love the river, love being on it, and love sharing a great times with our guests. So keep us in mind if you're wondering what to do with your weekends this season!
Archbald, Pennsylvania
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Family Rafting trip”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Rafted yesterday on a water release day....our family had a great time. The guides were knowledgeable, friendly and helpful! The water conditions were perfect for our family of inexperienced but active young adults and adults. The only things keeping this from being a perfect trip was the congestion on the river...our group was way too large, often felt like I was on a bumper car ride rather than a rafting trip. And we had to stop often to wait for other groups to move along. Also another raft was made up of a father and 4 young, completely inexperienced children...there were a few dangerous situations where I was truly worried about the well being of the youngest. His vest did not seem to fit him properly and when he was tossed in the water (several times- was scooped out by us a few times) he was unable to put his nose & toes in the air because of fast rapids and the vest rode up to his ears. In my opinion they really should not have been on the water on a release date and my concern about their safety put a damper on my trip a bit.

Visited August 2014
Thanks for your feedback. We set minimum age guidelines for all our trips, and it sounds like this youngster should have been on the easier section of the river, instead of on the bouncier section. Our guides fit every guest with a life jacket before boarding the shuttle bus for the very purpose of making sure they're the right size, and don't slide up or down, which of course makes them tight to the chest. Unfortunately, they are adjustable and many of our guests loosen them later without our knowledge. It's something we need to be ever-vigilant about, and we'll be sure to revisit this as our guides return for the upcoming season.