“Great Time”

Whitewater Challengers
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Weatherly
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Whitewater rafting on the Lehigh River is an exciting adventure through the Pocono Mountain Region of PA. Choose from a variety of outdoor adventures from mild to wild. Our most popular trips are our Family Style Whitewater (ages 5+)and Our Premier Whitewater Trip (ages 9+). Great for experienced rafters and first timers. NEW for 2017 is our Premier Plus Whitewater Rafting Trip which offers a smaller, more personal trip option through the class 2-3 rapids of the Lehigh Gorge State Park. Try a more challenging experience with our Whitewater Marathon that takes you through 25 miles of the Lehigh Gorge State Park or our NEW Inflatable Kayaking (Ducky) Trip. No matter your experience level, the Lehigh River offers a trip meant for you! Join us at the Lehigh River Adventure Center to combine your rafting experience with camping, biking, hiking, paintball, and more. Onsite dining services provides three meals a day for a reasonable price. It's the most fun you'll have all year!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Took the Black River tour and had a blast! The guide was great and funny (be sure and tip these guys!)

The rapids were nice and fast and we had time to play in the water during the slow moments.

Only drawback is the long boat pull back to the bus. However, it was way better then paddling that last part.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

We tried out rafting b/c of a groupon, and it was fantastic! The group that runs the rafting up on North Creek (North River) NY is the best! We had a wonderful day, and it rained on us for half the time! Our groupon included the splash guard. Highly recommed this, for just a few dollars extra without groupon. Kept us all warm during the rainy part. We were able to "surf" which was great fun, jump into the river from a 10 ft rock, swim in several spots, and paddle through some fun rapids. It is an all-day experience and they provide lunch and dinner. Lunch was a yummy PB, granola and honey wrap, or a veggie wrap, which we had mid-trip. A BBQ chicken dinner was waiting for us when we returned. We all had a wonderful time, and are planning another trip for next year!

Reviewed August 8, 2012

I've been a guide for the Lehigh operations center and have worked all three sections for a number of years. In general, it was my experience that guests have a good time on and off the river. We did get a few times where there were groups of highly energetic folks that wanted to have more active fun than others (which is difficult to keep everyone happy when people have different expectations). The one thing I can say that separated WWC from other Lehigh rafting companies was the level of safety training and engagement. WWC had the best, most trained rookie guide staff of any operating company - which was reflected in our safety record. We were also a group of guides that wanted to have fun while working, and be engaged with the guests on our trips (believe me, we weren't out there for the paycheck). Some of the best trips I ever guided were on the "family float" section, with just class 1/2 rapids.

Please remember that the Lehigh is a class 2/3 river, so those expecting "high adventure" rapids may want to book on another river in upstate NY. We couldn't invent more challenging rapids, but we could definitely point you to more challenging lines to try and paddle down (depending on how engaging your guides were).

I would recommend the Lehigh location for families or groups that have never been whitewater rafting before, or folks that may not be the most adenaline-junky types. If you are looking for more challenging whitewater, head to upstate NY where there is more gradient and more water.

4  Thank LongshotDC
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I took my 12-year old daughter here for the 15 mile bike trail. We've done river rafting for several years, and decided to try something new.

First, the staff were friendly and helpful, by phone and in person. The campgrounds can best be described as 'grand'. The food area, store, icecream shack, restrooms, all were in great condition for a camp ground, and are setup to take care of alot of people.

This is not a small place. They send people off to the river by the busload. The bike trail was much less crowded, and there were maybe 10 or 12 people on our small van.

We didn't do the river, but the portions we saw along our bike trip were some intense rapids, I would guess class III or better. We saw several people fall out of their rafts, including one that flipped completely over. Soon after the rapids however, everyone seems to make it back into their raft.

The bike trail was pretty smooth and easy. Nothing was really paved, it was a dirt/fine gravel trail, and mostly flat. Several stops along the way with a picnic table, even a bench. We did the 15 mile trip. We stopped at a rocky beach (slightly off the bike trail) just before you get to the final mile of the trip, where you cross the wooden bridge and onto the paved road. I wish we had our bathing suits with us, but it was cool.

The only thing I can site as bad was that the campsites were small and packed tight together. We were actually in a more secluded area, but our site was so small I wouldn't risk starting a campfire with our car (it MUST be parked in your campsite) and tent so close together. My daughter was also a bit turned off because every previous year our campsite had a view of the river (we raft at another location in NY).

Overall, I am pretty sure anyone looking for a weekend adventure will enjoy this place. If you're going to camp, be prepared for a tight spot or close neighbors. But, everyone we encountered was friendly.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

This was our family's third whitewater trip. My wife and I have been rafting for over 25 years. We introduced our 2 sons to rafting a couple of years back. We have taken them on increasingly more challenging rivers. The summer Hudson trip was perfect for them. Although it was not as intense as my wife and I like, we enjoyed watching our boys challenge themselves and having fun doing it. The people at Whitewater Challengers were great. Our guide, Mike, was a true professional. It was obvious he knew the river well. We surfed a few rapids, jumped into the river from a 10ft high rock and swam in the river. The raft take out point is right by the end of the run, which is very convenient. They provided a lunch snack and a dinner buffet. The dinner was ready as soon as we got back. They weren't too pushy about selling photos either. All in all it was a great trip and well worth the money!

1  Thank Trippingman