“Definitely would never stay again”

Holiday Motel Waynesburg
Holiday Motel Waynesburg
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Waynesburg
Reviewed December 4, 2006

Some friends and I attended a sporting event in Morgantown WV, but could not find a hotel there. Waynesburg was the closest place we could find a hotel. We were only staying over night and the motel was reasonably priced. The rooms were not the greatest, but again, for an over night trip, they served their purpose. It was actually not the rooms that caused our decision to never return. We decided to go to the on site bar for a little while to celebrate the victory. There were seven of us all together. Two of my friends were Asian and another was African American. From the moment we entered the bar we were treated with nothing but disrespect. I walked up to the bar with one of my Asian friends and ordered a round of drinks. The bartender gave us a nasty look, got our drinks and then actually threw my change at me. It hit me in the chest and fell to the floor. A little while later, another employee suggested to my African American friend that maybe he should come back on chicken wing night. I have never been more offended in my life. Needless to say, we will never return and will never recommend that anyone stay at the Holiday Motel.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank jmylam

Reviewed November 25, 2006

When we checked into our room, which looked absolutely nothing like the pictures posted of it on this site by the way, it was very cold. We turned on the heater and went to dinner. When we returned an hour and a half later, the room was no warmer. We sat around in our coats and gloves and watched television for an hour, thinking it would surely warm up soon. No such luck. My husband went down to the office and the manager assured him that he would turn up the heat. A few minutes later, the manager knocked at our door, came in and checked the heater and assured us that the heat would be working. The heat did start to work, but not enough. I tried to go to sleep, but after wearing my long underwear bottoms, socks, undershirt, pajamas, and bathrobe with a throw from the van wrapped around my feet, it was still freezing. My husband called the manager again and this time the manager brought up a space heater, which after about an hour warmed up the room enough that we could sleep. . . until the drunks at the on-site restaurant/bar woke us up screaming at each other and gunning car engines in the parking lot. This behavior went on at least half an hour and it took us hours to get back to sleep after all the carrying on. We checked out early the next morning and discovered when we got home that we had been charged for both nights of our reservation, even though we had stayed only one night. My husband called the manager and asked him to remove the second night's charge. The manager said he didn't know we were checking out and that he couldn't refund us any money. My husband explained that we turned in the key and checked out, how could he not know we were checking out? The manager said since we did not tell him we were having problems with the heat, that he could not refund our money. My husband insisted and finally the manager said if we called Expedia and if they would return to him their commission, he would refund the second night. We called Expedia who listened to our story and called the manager. Expedia said that since we had paid the manager directly, that it was between the manager and us, but they did give us a credit voucher on our Expedia account. The manager told Expedia customer service that the hotel was booked full and that we did not tell him there was a problem, therefore he could not refund our money. That is totally untrue; there were about three cars in the parking lot and he very well knew there were problems with the heat. The hotel is very old, our room had dark paneling on one wall, very humble furniture and decor, peeling paint and caulking in the bathroom-- nothing at all like the pictures of it on this site. We do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family