“Serene sanctuary”
Review of Chanticleer

Chanticleer
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Wayne
More attraction details
Owner description: Thirty acres of a 1913 estate fashioned into a series of formal gardens including a meadow, woodland with shrubs and a produce garden.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Gorgeous gardens in the heart of rich people county!! It was hot out so there were not that many people around. A wonderful place to spend a few hours admiring the beauty of nature. The staff is very helpful and they stroll the gardens to answer any questions. Only $10.00 admission and certainly worth it. An excellent spot to take pictures nook forward to going back I the fall when the leaves are changing.

All reviews
in 43 reviews
"paths"
in 37 reviews

Reviewed July 14, 2013

This garden is not so huge one can't take it all in without passing out. The scale is human. The plantings and ambiance amazingly casual and imaginative. We visited when the weather varied from tropically hot to moist. We found shelter among the trees until the rain passed over. Augmenting the plants are man-made features - the houses, the ruins, the bridges and furniture. On another day we will bring a picnic and stay longer. Lovely grounds with a very helpful but not intrusive staff.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

This was our second trip to Chanticleer and all I can think about is, who else can I share this with? We arrived by opening time of 10am to beat the heat. The staff is friendly and helpful, and the property is amazing. Each time you visit something different is in bloom, so it's always a surprise. Today the shady places were most welcome due to the heat, and the chairs placed throughout beckoned us for a break. We found some new paths and nooks and crannies missed the first time. My favorite thing is to sit under the tall trees amidst the beautiful gardens in the comfy Adirondack chairs, and listen to and observe the birds, butterflies and bullfrogs.
We leave inspired and with many planting ideas, knowing we will be back again.....

1  Thank Liz M
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Chanticleer is described as "a pleasure garden" in some of its publicity, and spending time there has been pure pleasure for me. I have been to the garden in spring when flowering trees and bulbs are splendid; a steamy summer day when sitting on the veranda of the big house and enjoying a breeze was a perfect break from viewing masses of colorful flowers; and in autumn when I was impressed by how much beauty exists there at the end of flowering season,

The map of the property gives clear indications of what plantings to look for. It is a big property, plan several hours and wear comfortable shoes. A few plants are labeled, I wish more could be identified as there are some I would love to plant in my garden. There are benches and chairs for relaxing. Peace and serenity prevails, conducive to leisurely strolling, sketching, discrete picnicking.

Not appropriate for young children who get restless; much of the garden is accessible but parts are hilly.

I often combine a trip to Chanticleer with a visit to Wayne Art Center nearby for their wonderful exhibits.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 15, 2013

The gardens and the area that surrounds it are amazing. Every way you turned something different and delightful caught your eye.Although the plants are not labeled; there are several plant lists throughout the garden. Even the places where the lists were provided some amusement. The whole place is full of great landscaping and a pleasure to surround yourself with. I wish I lived closer to this place. Very, Very, Enjoyable!