“authentic style”

Dining options: Reservations
Philly
“authentic style”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

You can always tell if a restaurant is doing its thing when an ethnic group crowds its tables. True for Ping Pong. My friend is NBC (native born chinese as they say) and she says it's pretty authentic, although there are variations in regions and alot of US Style chinese food is adjusted (sweetened) to the American palate. In any case, lots of chinese and other asian nationalities filled tables in the place so that to me is a good sign. Wait staff converse fluently of course in madarin, so what do you expect? Be careful about the description in the menu - rather sketchy- versus what you actually get, ask full detailed questions of the server and if your mandarin is off, ask for an english speaking person to go over the menu. Some items quite 'spicy' but not necessarily 'hot' like 5 alarm chili. Single entree service a little on the pricey side but my friend says its a reminder of a hometown from long ago so enjoy a step away from Panda Express style cooking (not that there's anything wrong with that). Looses points just for decor and tacky interior. If you want some original food this is probably one of the best you'll find in Wayne area imho. At least my NBC friend and her NBC roommate agree!

Visited April 2014

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Will not go back again”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Ordered one entry with pork. The meat tasted sour (not fresh at all), but the chef insisted that the sour taste came from the pickle. We were so sure non-fresh meat and pickle would taste different.

Also ordered the tea smoked duck. We knew the duck was not boneless, but what we got was almost meatless!! After we finished, we put all bones back to the plate. The plate looked just as full as it came to the table. See photo.

Service and price were OK.

• Visited May 2014
Suburban Phila
“Fire it up!”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Ping Pong is so different from the typical Main Line Chinese restaurant that I can understand how some unprepared visitors might be unsettled. Zero atmosphere, zero decor, random service, some waitstaff challenged by English, but WHAM - if you are looking for a true Szechuan burn with devil-red chili oil, mountains of dried hot peppers, and addictively numbing "ma la" peppercorns, this is the place to go. Dining room demographic is mostly Chinese-speaking and Chinese-American, another sign that this is the real deal. Get the house special menu card (more challenging, including frog). Dry-braised chicken or fish in hot pot is great. It's also worth asking what's on the Chinese-character blackboard - last visit I had a killer soupbowl of fish in eye-watering chili-oil broth with golden-needle (enoki) mushrooms (see photo). Not all dishes rock (skip double-cooked pork), but if you go for the burn, you'll be amply rewarded. BYO. (P.S. - it's R&Z's not Rez's)

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Ushuaian
Henryville, Pennsylvania
“I cannot see a single reason for any of the positive reviews - things must have changed for the worse”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

First this place suffers with a huge language barrier. Our wait staff was barely and I mean barely able to communicate.

Second, substitutions are a battle mostly due to the inability of the staff to understand English.

Third I ask for mild and the order had mild written on it. My single serving contained two whole hot peppers with one slash through to allow seeds throughout the dish. This dish was in no way mild.

Tofu was greasy and unflavored, and the selection of vegetables focused on black mushrooms and eggplant. Other dishes were uninspired to just plain bad. I mean how can you ruin vegetable egg rolls? They did - tough filled only with cabbage and nothing else not even carrot or mushroom to add color and flavor

I would never eat there again never suggest anyone else did - not fit to feed your dog and horrible service to top off bad food.

• Visited March 2014
“Food was yummy”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

My husband and I recently tried Ping Pong on the recommendation of a friend. The food was very yummy. The only negative feedback I can give is that our waiter was not very attentive and a bit absent minded. My husband asked for a coke to drink a few times and he never got it, but it was on our bill. They corrected it without issue. I am going to chalk it up to an off day and will definately try again.

• Visited March 2014