“Continuing excellence”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Morris Rd
Transit: Strafford train station is a 10 minute walk away down Sugartwon Road across Lancaster Avenue
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I have written before about this restaurant, and how it has suddenly got a lot better with the new chef and his manager brother. I think it not unreasonable to say that this is an excellent choice for dinner - the best on the Mainline - and with time it could be the best restaurant in the area.

Decided to go again last night, to eat at the bar. I was pleased to see the dining area full on a Sunday night. It was quiet at the bar, and so we had the time to talk to the excellent bartender (I've a terrible memory for names, but I do know that she is one of the best, and was so even before the changes). I checked my FitBit, it said I'd done 10,000 steps, and so I went for the burger....not the healthiest thing on the menu, but it is GOOD. I like a restaurant that can cook a burger as ordered. The Mrs had an awesome soup and a salad. Maybe I'm a little old-school, I usually think of salads to be a waste of an opportunity (after all, if I can cook it....). But she thoroughly enjoyed it, and let me tell you, my wife is pretty critical about her food. And as usual, wines by the glass did not fail to impress.

So, there you go - the place is picking up, word is getting out. Go to Ella's while you still can.

1  Thank Robert H

Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

I have been here quite a few times as it is near my parents house. Ella's is in a shopping center and from the outside you would never expect the fine dining experience you will find inside. Over the last two years we have been there at least a half dozen times and never disappointed. Everything they serve is top notch.

1  Thank Christopher19380
Reviewed February 28, 2014

This was out 2nd visit to Ella's. The room decor and atmosphere is very nice and relaxing. The food and overall dinning room execution was top notch.
We were told they recently hired the chef fromerly from Alba in Malvern(great resturant).

I had the classic steak Frite and a side of roasted brussell sprouts and really enjoyed the meal. The only downside was that their draught beer system was out and i could not enjoy a fresh brew.

We will be back

1  Thank Chris H
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Soft sophistication and subtle flavors in a comfortable dining room were exactly what we needed last sunday evening.....my dining partner gave a thumbs up to his Roasted Beet Salad and Duck Breast entree.... The mix of beet/fennel /orange and goat cheese was interesting enough without the earthiness of the roasted beets getting lost. The Duck Breast was cooked to pink perfection.
My P.E.I. Mussels were fat and flavorful, in a broth layered with leeks, mustard, allagash and served with a fresh crusty baguette.
It was overall a very satisfying experience, we will go back to try
more of the menu at this little spot . Good for couples, romance,
as well as business. Would not recommend for kids.

3  Thank MagnificentPath
Reviewed February 18, 2014

This was our 2nd trip to this warm & cozy Bistro...Wanted to take advantage of the Monday night, half price bottles of wine, which was very fine by us! A notable Tempranillo from La Mancha area of Spain was an excellento match...!

I had their Viking Village Scallops, which was quite different w/Celery Root Puree, Hazelnuts & Pickled Grapes; imagine that!?! And initially, the size of the scallops seemed way-too-BIG but they were so tender & yummy, specially w/that cWAzY sauce ~ M'Lady had their Steak Frites which was a Hanger Steak w/ a red wine sauce which had a lotta flavor but not quite so tender...Plus their fries were amazing! I tried their “Grenobloise Trout" in a brown butter, lemon-caper sauce w/roasted cauliflower & croutons, which was like NO trout I EVER, never had before!?! It was yummy, flavorful AND tender but moist too ~ REMARKABLE! I almost licked my plate but my GF stopped me short...!?!?!?!

Service was great as always and the ambiance was quite nice, specially on such a chilly night...
NO room for dessert this trip, but maybe next time...Can't wait ~

1  Thank 407Marco