“Love the location, not the pillows!”
Review of Wayne Hotel

Wayne Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Wayne
San Diego, CA
“Love the location, not the pillows!”
Reviewed May 7, 2006

Just returned from my five night stay, May 1-5th at this hotel. I have been a guest here several times over the last few years and the main reason I return to this hotel is because I enjoy the location and the fact that it is a beautiful old Victorian building.

The room I got this time, 403, it is big and in the front of the hotel. It had a large bed but the pillows were hard, foam rocks! I could not get a good night's sleep at all. The legendary old housekeeper, Izzy, had pasted away four weeks ago. She was a character and not the nicest person but certainly made things colorful.

This hotel really could use sprucing up of their room furnishings. My room had a padded bench at the foot of the bed that was stained badly and really needed to be either recovered and replaced! It is a real shabby chic look. The staff was all very friendly and helpful. The restaurant on site is wonderful too.

If this place would just put in new beds and nicer bedding to go with it I would LOVE it!

1 Thank Hado1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed February 15, 2006

OK, after reading the horrible reviews I feel compelled to stick up for my favorite hotel in the area.

I travel frequently to the Wayne, PA area, and always stay at The Wayne.

Yes, the rooms are badly decorated.
Yes, the beds are somewhat uncomfortable.
Yes, the amenities are all but non-existent.
And, Yes, the staff is rude.

BUT, unlike all of the other hotels in the area, it's not a sterile chain hotel. AND, most importantly, the reason why I like The Wayne is because it's the one place in the area where you are in the midst of a real town. You don't have to drive to get a good dinner (Taquet, the on-site restaurant is excellent...I die for the lamb stew...), a late night drink (several nearby establishments stay open late and cater to the more hip locals and more well-funded college students...Christopher's is a favorite), a latte at Starbucks (5 minute walk) or an authentic breakfast at a great "dive" (Joe's, 7 minute walk).

So, if you want something DIFFERENT from a Hampton Inn, stay at The Wayne. Take the rude staff with a sense of humor, let the lack of amenities and technology increase your appreciation of your real life, and catch up on sleep when you get home!

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank DiscriminatingDiner
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed December 8, 2005

This is a horrible hotel for business travelers -- or anyone in search of a good night's sleep. The bed is like a piece of granite and the pillows are like rocks. Everything is done up in a more provincial version of shabby chic -- emphasis on shabby. It's midnight, I have a job interview in the morning, and I can't get to sleep because the elevator keeps rambling up and down the shaft and my neighbors are noisy. This is not worth the money at all.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
5 Thank JHill2002
Wayne PA
Reviewed October 13, 2005

We live down the street from the place and use it whenever our house is being worked on. So, over a span of fifteen years we have stayed there about half a dozen times. The eighty year old maid is legendary! This town is provincial, despite the blue route. A lot of what you are writing is true and a guest can either call the staff amusing or horrid.

• Stayed September 2004
3 Thank 473danaw
Kansas
Reviewed September 1, 2005

Don't believe a word you read about this place - Bruce Springsteen probably checked out early. Arrived at 3:00 and tried to get a bite to eat in the highly rated restaurant - twenty dollars for 2 horrible ham sandwiches and a coke! No refills on the coke @ $2.50 that is robbery. The rooms are overdone Victorian and the bathrooms are smaller than on a cruise ship. The worst part was - we thought we were staying in a quaint town - the hotel and our room was located on the main drag - we might has well as been in NYC - sirens and traffic all night long - early morning construction - we got NO SLEEP. I asked to be switched to the back of the hotel but was told I might be bothered by the Train! We got the heck outta there and checked into the Hampton Inn in Plymouth - which was fabulous and a much better value.

Stayed August 2005
5 Thank vava1188
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 10, 2005

I stayed at the Wayne Hotel for one night during a visit to the area where I grew up. It had been about 12 years since I last stayed there.

The room itself was clean but the bed was very hard and uncomfortable. I was particularly disappointed that the high speed internet access became unavailable for most of my stay. It had been working when I first checked in but was down the rest of the evening and next morning. When I called the front desk I was told that other guests had the same problem. The front desk person tried to reboot, etc. but to no avail. When I asked if there was an 800 number for the internet service provider, I was told that there wasn't one. The front desk person didn't know how to contact the internet service provider and advised me that the manager would be back on Monday morning (this was on Saturday). I found it unacceptable that the hotel was unable or unwilling to try to fix the problem. The Wayne Hotel seems to have a substantial business customer base and internet access is essential to business travelers these days. If the TV service had been out would they have said there was nothing they could do until Monday?

The public areas were fair but could use some sprucing up. In the hallway on my floor there was a terrible odor the entire time I was there. I could not tell if it was a food smell from the kitchen, or worse. Fortunately the odor did not enter my room.

The continental breakfast on Sunday morning was fair at best. I was the only person in the breakfast room for about 20 minutes that morning. To my surprise, no one on the staff showed up during that time to see if anything needed refreshening, if everything was in working order, etc. The hotel seemed really dead and generally unattended.

In all, the Wayne Hotel served it's purpose that night for me. However, despite the ideal location in the charming town of Wayne and adjacent to the train line into Philadelphia, I can not say I would be eager to stay there again until and unless management took a more active interest in the place.

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pound Ridge, New York
Reviewed June 7, 2004

Was expecting a lovely B&B sort of experience and the web page pictured lovely chintz wallpapered rooms with 4 poster beds, Our room was stark white and in need of a paint job and quite frankly dreery and depressing. Ther was an old and dirty air conditioner filter proped up against the sofa bed which was by the way the most unacceptable hotel bed I've ever been offered , my daughter had to sleep with us. The bland all white and in need of a paint job decor carried into the dreary bathroom. In all we hated this property .

4 Thank ckhan59
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wayne
Radnor Hotel
Radnor Hotel
#4 of 5 in Wayne
Courtyard Philadelphia Devon
Embassy Suites by Hilton Philadelphia-Valley Forge
Best Western Plus The Inn at King of Prussia
Best Western Plus The Inn at Kin...
#2 of 16 in King of Prussia
Philadelphia Marriott West
Philadelphia Marriott West
#1 of 1 in West Conshohocken
Hyatt House Philadelphia/King of Prussia
Hyatt House Philadelphia/King of...
#1 of 16 in King of Prussia

Been to Wayne Hotel? Share your experiences!