“Beat Up Inside...Beautiful Valley Forge Outside”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Philadelphia-Valley Forge
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Wayne
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tampa, FL
“Beat Up Inside...Beautiful Valley Forge Outside”
Reviewed July 16, 2006

I am a single male, mid 30s, traveling alone from FL to spend a 10 day July 4th vacation (June 26-July 7) near where I grew up to see old friends and family. I love my family, but I need to retreat to my own sanctuary to sleep and relax. I prepaid a non-cancellation reservation to obtain a special $80's-ish rate/night, which was tough to beat given the location, dining & room service on site, access to 202/PA Turnpike and holiday timeframe. If I got the same rate in the future, I may stay again, given the problems I'll cover below. But if you pay the full rate or have a corporate account with your employer, I think you'll be very disappointed.

In the late 80's and early 90's, I visited this hotel a half dozen times (originally developed/owned by a company called Guest Quarters, then sold to Wyndham) and had tremendous experiences...very classy. In fact my Senior Prom date and I had dinner before the prom with 3 other couples. So how much can change in 12 years? I could tell from other reviews for this hotel it looked like a mixed bag at best and my hunch was true.

First, the GOOD: The food at the bar (the same is served in the Town & Country restaurant) was tasty and hot - I had 3 meals and/or appetizers that were equally good. The 3 different bartenders I met were all friendly and quick to refresh drinks. The bar and room hallways circle around 5 story atrium areas. Who can complain about lots of natural light and green foliage about? I also love the exterior brick facade that fits in well with the surrounding rolling hills tree-lined business office campuses. The hotel is an 8 minute walk from beautiful Wilson Park that was built in 2004 and has a 1.3 loop for walking or other exercise activities to the public. There's no crime or late night bars/clubs in this area.

Now the SO-SO STUFF: I learned from locals/employees at the bar that Wyndham sold the hotel about 18 months ago to an independent chain, which was permitted to keep the name. The staff says the independent owner plans a multi-million dollar renovation in the near future. How soon? No one knows. It really needs it.

Upholstery on the bar furniture was heavily worn/ripped on the arms, hallways were heavily scuffed and some corners were damaged to the point where drywall was crumbling unto the floor. Is it so hard for maintenance to pull their paintbrushes and spackling knives out of the toolbox. Upon checking into my room on the first night, I noticed the glass walls of the elevator appeared to have a spot where someone bumped a scoop of ice cream on the glass and it dripped all the way to the floor. I mentioned something to the front desk after it was there a week. Three days later, it was still there upon checkout. Based on my experiences and you'll probably agree, a hotel manager's crappy attention and attitude to the appearance of their hotel directly correlates to a negative stay.

The front desk staff was a mixed bag of friendly customer service and good-morning smiling faces to a few uncaring bozos that shot glares across the desk if they were interrupted. I think you have a situation where the fine Wyndham holdovers are fighting a losing battle against newer staff that is paid a cheaper salary and poorly trained by the independent group. The great bar staff mentioned earlier had all worked there before the independent came into the picture.

The UGLY: I was abundantly clear when booking the reservation and confirming the day before check-in that I needed a room away from elevators, vending machines and the Route 202 interstate. I was told no problem. Of all the rooms on 5 floors with 58 rooms per floor, the front desk interpreted my instructions by booking me in a room with a perfect view of 202, and where vending/ice machines and the housekeeping storage area was on the other side of my thin, bedroom wall. I didn't need an alarm clock because the housekeeping staff started banging their carts and supplies on queue at 9:00AM every morning.

I made 2 attempts over 2 days to obtain a new room with no success. "Keep the cheap rate in the crappy room" is the mantra I suppose. The excuse was there are no suites available for 4 days. Looking back, a more concerted effort should have been undertaken to get what I wanted, but I threw up my hands pretty quickly.

• Stayed June 2006
7 Thank LP_RULES

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 1, 2006

As a business traveler, I stay here pretty frequently (6-7 times in the past 3 years). Here's how the hotel shapes up from check-in to check-out.

I stayed there overnight yesterday during an ice-storm here in PA. The ice-storm began in the early morning hours after I had checked in. Upon my arrival at 6:30pm, the roadway leading up to the hotel had been salted, as had the parking lot and walkway to the front door, in anticipation of the coming storm.

The concierge was very friendly and willing to accomodate my need for a late check-out (I as able to check out at 1pm).

In the bar downstairs, there was a live piano-player, which is a luxury I appreciated until I had to go to bed at 830pm (for an early morning wake-up because of work). The piano player could be heard in my room, but with the bedroom door closed, it was muffled enough for me to sleep fine.

The room itself is spacious. Most of the rooms are identical. For $209 per night, you get a room with a living room and eating area, small fridge and coffee-maker, nice-sized bathroom, and a king bed in the bedroom. I would have liked a microwave in the room. None has this.

The bed was comfortable. The bathroom could have been a little cleaner -- and I was missing body-soap, so I had to use the facial soap.

The food is O-K. I had ordered dinner through room service. Upon calling, I was told that they had updated their menu and had not had a chance to put the new menu in all of the rooms (which seemed a little odd to me), however the room service attendant promptly arrived at my door with the new menu. I ordered the Beef Sirloin (cooked rare) and the shrimp appetizer. Both of which were deliciously prepared. However, I have had some bad experiences in the past with room service. I had ordered the crisp calimari (which was anything BUT crisp; in fact, it was soggy and moist and VERY chewy) and tostado nachos (which looked as if they had been sitting for several hours under a heat lamp). I sent the nachos back to the kitchen and they had replaced them with a MUCH better tasting nacho dish.

The breakfast buffet is delicious. I always make it a point to eat the breakfast there.

The hotel's website lists certain landmarks as "close" to the hotel. Some are not. The Pocono Mountains are about 2 hours from the hotel, and Longwood Gardens is about 1.5 hours from the hotel. The King of Prussia Mall is VERY closeby, however... only a 5 minute drive. Also close is Valley Forge Nat'l Historic Park (5-10 minute drive) and PA's famed "Main line" of upscale shops and gorgeous mansion-styled homes.

Also nearby is the QVC TV Studio (of which they give tours daily). That's only about a 20 minute drive. Center City Philadelphia is only about a 30-40 minute drive away as well.

That's the Wyndham Valley Forge Hotel in a nutshell. I plan to stay here in the future for other business trips.

Check-out is a breeze. Overall my stay was enjoyable.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 1, 2006

My room had missing closet doors, missing door hook in bathroom, exposed wood along the entire front of the bathroom counter and a toilet that ran loudly at 30 second intervals even after someone from maintenance came up and "fixed" it. (I just kept the door closed for the rest of my short visit.) Good breakfast buffet with a better than average omelet chef.

• Stayed December 2005
4 Thank Skeezix53
NY
Reviewed November 27, 2005

Recently my whole family and I stayed at the Wyndham Valley Forge Suites during our After Thanksgiving weekend shopping excursion this was our second time staying at this hotel and the experience was just as nice as the first time or if not better. First of all the staff at this location was outstanding they made our stay here a very comfortable one, and there helpful navigation through the city and surrounding area attractions were greatly appreciated. Our 2 rooms were quite spacious and very clean and they were well equipped for all our needs during our weekend there. We somehow scheduled our shopping getaway the same exact weekend as a bunch of little visiting soccer kids, however we hardly heard any noise from them thanks to the manager who situated us up on a nice and peaceful floor of the hotel(THANKSSS K.S). Each morning we enjoyed a scrumptious full hot breakfest buffet(included in the price package)which offered delicious made to order egg omelets and Belgium waffles as well as fresh fruit and cold cereal for the kids before we started out to the King of Prussia Mall which is 5 minutes away. This hotel actually made it worth our while to travel out to Pennsylvania for "BLACK FRIDAY". Thanks again Wyndham Valley Forge

6 Thank JWashNy
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 25, 2005

I have stayed at this hotel in the past and chose it because of the Wyndham name. First, you need to know that my stay on Thanksgiving Day 2005 coincided with the first true cold snap in the Northeast. Unfortunately, this Wyndham's heating system did not work and my room was 55 degrees at best. In the morning, we went to the lobby to learn that the temp was freezing there too.

I had reserved / upgraded to a corner suite because it had more space than a deluxe suite (only $15 more). However, at check in we were given a regular suite. I returned to the front desk and asked for what I paid for, and stated that I was disappointed that they did not fulfill my request the first time. I was given a corner suite, however, the bed was old a hard, the pillows were small and uncomfortable, and the towels were small and worn.

When I opened the sofabed for my kids, there were no sheets on it. There were no sheets to be found- fortunately we brought an airmattress.

All in all, I will not stay at this hotel again, this hotel is not worthy of the Wyndham name.

• Stayed November 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed August 27, 2005

We stayed for 3 nights last week and found the Wyndham Valley Forge to be a good solid hotel. While it's true the wallpaper was slightly peeling if you looked in the corners and the carpet slightly threadbare in spots, the hotel was clean and friendly. We got a $79 web rate. 3 nights in a small suite with a TV and pull out bed for the kids, and a seperate room with another TV, closing door and king bed for Mom & Dad for less $250 was amazing to me!

The pool and spa were very clean, although like the rest of the hotel fairly old and in need of updating. The workout rooms were clean and air conditioned, and appeared to have been updated not too long ago. The breakfast buffet was great and the bartender was top notch. I liked the way the front desk staff remembered my name and wished us a good day every morning as we started out doing the touristy stuff.

If you don't expect 5 star treatment in a 3 star hotel (like having nuts in your room at exactly 3PM), you'll find this hotel worth every penny.

......Doug

• Stayed August 2005
2 Thank douger207
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 16, 2005

We stayed for one night at the Wyndham Valley Forge on August 13, 2005. We were very pleased w/ the rate as we booked on priceline.com and payed $65 including all taxes and fees.

We were put into a room at the very end of a long hallway. We were upset with this when we first arrived, but then realized the front desk was trying to do us a favor. There was a large group of soccer players staying at the hotel ranging in age from 11-15 and our room proved to be quiet even as the kids trekked up and down the halls. We didn't hear them the next morning and they were gone long before we checked out.

The bed was EXTREMELY uncomfortable to the point that I had to call a chiropractor when we returned home. My husband thought the same thing of the bed, but was able to "shake the pain off" after sleeping a night or two in our own bed. Of course I would have asked for another room, but who notices something like that before you wake up in the middle of the night in pain?

We had breakfast at their buffet the next morning before driving back. The buffet offered a lot of choices and the made the order omletts were great. The drink service was fantastic...our glasses were never empty.

Overall, if I could have another bed to sleep on I would stay at this hotel again b/c it was clean and the staff was friendly. Plus I got a great rate on priceline.

• Stayed August 2005
4 Thank nfahey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wayne
Best Western Plus The Inn at King of Prussia
Best Western Plus The Inn at Kin...
#2 of 16 in King of Prussia
Hyatt House Philadelphia/King of Prussia
Hyatt House Philadelphia/King of...
#1 of 16 in King of Prussia
Courtyard Philadelphia Devon
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Philadelphia - Valley Forge
Residence Inn Philadelphia Valley Forge
Hilton Garden Inn Valley Forge/Oaks

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Philadelphia-Valley Forge? Share your experiences!