“Clean, large sites, fun stuff to do.”

Sparrow Pond Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waterford
Sparrow Pond Campground
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

I love the large campsites at Sparrow Pond. The kids love fishing in the pond & swimming in the pool. Everything is clean & modern. They also have a lot of activities like crafts for kids, hay rides & themed weekends. One suggestion I have is cable would be nice.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Bija3238

Reviewed June 1, 2013

My boys and I came back to Sparrow Pond over Memorial Day weekend. We got the same rustic cabin and we were SO glad we did! Not only did it feel like "home", but the heat came in handy with the freeze warnings at night!

The owners (once again) allowed us to bring our sweet beagle with us and that made the trip so much better for my boys!

There is plenty to do just north of Waterford in Erie. This time we went back to Waldameer and made our first visit to the Erie Zoo. We also went back to Presque Isle at sunset. Something EVERYONE should do when in the area.

We love this campground. The pool was open and my crazy kids couldn't wait to get in...even the it was only 60º outside! It is clean and everyone has been friendly and kind.

Again, the ONLY thing I caution EVERYONE about is the bathroom floors! If you go in there with shoes on...flip flops, sandals, Crocs and your feet get a TINY bit wet (which they will by the entrance because of the pool or over by the showers) you WILL fall. That tile is HARD too. At least one of us has fallen both years and this year, I saw a child fall in the bathroom and hit her head HARD! Thank goodness her mother was with her. The bathroom could REALLY use some mats for traction!!!

Don't let that persuade you though. I have been camping at MANY places over the years and this is the first time (other than when I was in my early 20's and camping was about sitting around a fire, listening to music and drinking all night) that I have ever revisited a campground. That is how much I (and my kids) enjoy it. The campground and the ciites of Waterford and Erie feel like a second home to us!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2012

This place is a gem and I want to keep the info to myself! We stayed here over Labor Day weekend and didn't have the "normal" crazy campground Holiday weekend.

It was really nice and one of the best we have found to get together with another family who prefers a cabin. We had a great site next to the cabin and both families could interact and share space!

The activities and pool/game area were great and they had sooo much land! We really enjoyed having bikes here and would definately bring them (and fishing poles) again. They seem to be expanding and I hope they maintain the friendly atmosphere that they currently have - the people who run it are nice! The activities and "extras" were fairly priced or free - not trying to make a profit on the kids.

All in all, we would definately stay here again.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Anita S
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We have camped at Sparrow Pond for three years. We keep returning because Sparrow Pond is friendly, safe and secure. The grounds and buildings are well maintained the sites are spacious. They could do a better job of cleaning the lavatories and showers. There are many planned activities on site during the summer and Sparrow Pond is close enough to numerous activities in Erie including shopping, dining, Splash Lagoon water park, the Erie Zoo, Waldameer and best of all, Presque Isle State Park.

We prefer the sites in the loop by the reception/recreation building, restrooms and pool rather than the ones in the section by the pond and tubing hill. This area is prettier and has more grass and trees.

I have walked through the tent camping section but never saw anybody in there until our first trip this year, May 16-20, 2012. This part of Sparrow Pond is unattractive and inconvenient as there are no water spigots unless they are well hidden. A Boy Scout troop from a church in Erie set up camp in the entire area and had a big time. If you are not with a good size group, I recommend spending the extra dollars and pitching your tent on a site with water and electricity in a nice part of the campground.

When we made our reservation for the May trip, which was not pre-season, we should have been warned that an oil well was operating over by the pond between the restrooms and the tubing hill. Glad we don’t stay over there! During the week, work began at around 7:15am and was heard throughout the campground. It was noisy, ugly, dirty, and as you neared the site, smelly. We were told that it would be gone by Memorial Day and saw evidence that the removal process had begun. When we returned for our second visit August 21-26, 2012 returning home on the 27th only a huge, dirty, dusty area and some kind of a building remained.

We chose the August dates because they had a Bluegrass Festival on the 24th, 25th, and 26th. It was poorly planned. I didn’t hear any music on Friday between 5pm and 10pm but was told that one band played for about an hour. Music was to start at noon on Saturday but did not start until later in the afternoon due to several no shows. There was no gospel music following the 10am non-denominational church service starting at 10am. The music was supposed to continue until 5:00 pm.

We recommend Sparrow Pond. It has lots of great qualities. However, chose your site carefully and skip the Bluegrass Festival.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank debbyanne
Tamara M, General Manager at Sparrow Pond Campground, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Hello,
I want to apologize for the Blue Grass Festival. It was planned from a group outside of Sparrow Pond. Unfortunately it did not do well at all. We will not be holding that event in the future. As for the construction, we are adding 20 more camping sites and 5 Cabins.
We hope to see you back next season!

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I took my 4 boys to Sparrow Pond Family Campground this summer and could not have been more pleased with the campground! It was an easy drive from our small suburb, west of Cleveland, Ohio and we found the entire area to be delightful! We stayed in a rustic cabin (with a/c...I wanted to camp, not die in the 105F degree heat), which was perfect. Plenty of room for the 5 of us, comfortable enough and sturdy. Which came in really handy during a pretty severe storm that blew through. The site was lovely. Lots of trees, very clean. Our neighbours were considerate and friendly. The staff was wonderful. The pool was the perfect size for my 4 boys ages 12-4, the pond was great. (They loved feeding the geese.) There was plenty of room for the boys to run, play and have a great time. The little playground was nice, the basketball court always had balls at the ready and I liked that the campground had a gate that secured the premises at night. The campground was VERY conveniently located just south of Erie. Head straight up I-79 (Peach Street) and you were only 10-15 minutes away from a ton of family friendly fun. Waldemeer, Presque Isle; with the great (and FREE) Tom Ridge Environmental Centre (and a fabulous library next door) and all the beaches. Also, the Erie Maritime Museum and the Flagship Niagara. (A ton of fun for the kids...lots of hands on stuff for them to do.) The campground is perfectly situated off the beaten track, yet close enough to a good size city for when you need to run to the grocery store, or Target/Walmart for a few necessities you left back at home! I can't see us going anywhere else. If I had ONE suggestion, (and it is a SMALL one), it would be that the floors of the (very clean) restrooms/showers NEED non-slip mats. The floor gets VERY slippery. I took my 4 boys by myself and felt completely at ease at Sparrow Pond Campground. I would love to recommend it to everyone, but I am afraid of the place getting TOO popular and make it hard for me to get a reservation! We WILL be back. :)

Room Tip: The rustic cabins were a great deal. For only $10 more per night, you can have a/c at night. The cab...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sarah M
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We called about 2months ahead to make our reservations for 5 nights & I requested a site close to the bathhouse because I have a disability & can't walk far. I told the woman on the phone my reason for needing a site close to the bathhouse, she told me she could accomadate my needs. Imagine our surprise when we arrived that the site she had us on was so far from the bathhouse that only about 4 sites were further away. Then to make it worse the site was so unlevel we had to get one side of the trailer up 5" and it could of gone more but we didn't feel safe.
You get a gate pass to get into the camping area which is kind of nice but as another reviewer stated there are 2 sections of this place & your pass won't allow you to enter the other gate, so if you want to see the rest of the park you have to walk. We decided to give it a try, the worst that could happen is I couldn't walk anymore & my husband would have to get the office to allow him to drive in the other side. It took quite some time but I finally made it to the pond in the middle, there is a path that you can take to get back to the other side; we took the path knowing I never would make it back the way we came, but the problem with the path is it brings you right in the middle of a campsite that someone was using! But you don't know that until you come thru the path.
The ladies room was always clean & the showers had great water pressure, which you usually don't see at campgrounds. DO NOT take a shower at night though, the lights are on timers, which I didn't know, so there I am at 11:00pm in the shower & it goes pitch black, I mean you can't see your hand in front of your face. The middle shower stall water pressure isn't as good as the other & of all times for me to use the wrong one. So I was in there screaming for quite sometime until my husband heard me & came to my rescue, my hero!!!!
The mens room wasn't so clean, from the first day we got there my husband seen a tag from someones clothes sticking out of between the stall walls until the last day there, it was still there. That was mild, one night he went in & didn't notice there wasn't any toilet tissue until he needed it, IN EITHER STALL....he wobbled over to the ladies room @ midnight praying no one was around to get tissue. Four days later one stall still didn't have paper in it, he checked everyday.
As for the good, the sites do have a lot of room & the pool looked very nice. The hay ride was big & actually had hay on it even if the driver & one other person in the back kept screaming "hay ride" at the top of their lungs over & over never stopping.
The office/store don't have very long hours, so plan on getting what you need early or go to the nearest conv store.

Room Tip: Be sure to insist on a level site
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Excellent place to stay while visiting Erie. It is extremely clean and has gates for safety.Great for seniors too.We'll be heading back this summer (3rd year).

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank galena130

Been to Sparrow Pond Campground? Share your experiences!