“Hidden Gem on the Delaware River”

Francisco's Restaurant on the River
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I have been driving past this restaurant for a few years and finally made a reservation and went for dinner with a friend. What a pleasant surprise! I am glad I made a reservation because it was a Wednesday night and the place was packed - good sign. Our waitress was knowledgeable about the menu and helped me make excellent selections. The warmed bread was stellar! I had the fennel and arugula salad. My friend had the Caesar salad - both were excellent. We both settled on the Frutti di Mare Fradiavolo. It was perfectly prepared (pasta al dente) and the flavors of the sauce were spicy but not overwhelming. It is a BYOB and I brought a Dolcetta Di Alba which was perfectly matched to our meal. We both had the hazelnut gelato desert which was fabulous - I felt like I was in Rome again!
The prices were moderate. My meal was $56 (not including tip). So it is not a cheap place for dinner. But....it is good food, great service and an interesting menu. I will definitely return and recommend it highly.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We recently had a party of about 20-25 people at this restaurant. The staff was very accommodating with helping to plan the event, and they did a very good job the day of. Unfortunately we had to wait nearly 30 minutes beyond our reservation to be seated as the previous group had not left the area on time. This can't be blamed entirely on the restaurant, but perhaps there needs to be a little more planning on their end to allow for such things to happen. The restaurant itself is a little cramped, but felt very intimate and quaint once seated. The food was excellent (some of the best Italian food in the area), and they managed to feed our entire party very efficiently. Be aware that this is a BYOB establishment, so don't be upset if you can't order a drink there! We will absolutely be back to this gem of a restaurant.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is one of the few restaurants, in our area, that I would recommend. The food is good. The service is good. The decor is nice. Altho, it can get VERY noisy!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Wonderful quaint restaurant located by the Delaware river. The place is small but seating is comfortable. Food is awesome and some of the portions are large. I had the lasagna with bacon which really is two portions ( and I enjoy eating), my wife had the spinach ravioli which are home made and tasty. Great light red sauce. They have no problem splitting orders; e split a house salad and that was fine. Also- do yourself a favor and order the garlic bread! Yum! I could order a few portions of just that for a meal. Place is BYOB with the last B for bottle. Well worth it but you will need reservations.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Website

RECOMMENDATIONS
1. make an early evening reservation is the best for view, service, food, comfortable a/c and less noise. Make the reservation several days in advance.
2. their scallop appetizer

ATMOSPHERE
Great BYOB restaurant situated on the Delaware. If you wish to see the Delaware River while dining, you may have to eat at the four or five outdoor tables or in the inside porch area. Depending on the time of year and amounts of rainfall, you may/may not be able to have the ideal view. The amount of parking is more than adequate.

FOOD
The menu's appetizers are fantastic - my favorite is the scallop dish. Many of the standard menu fare focuses on pasta dishes, however, there are other specials and items including pork, fish, beef and chicken. I almost always go for their seafood because of their seasonings that finish the entrées so well.

SERVICE
Without mentioning her name and embarrassing her, ___ is an excellent server. She makes the check backs and times the appetizers well so that the entrées arrive in a timely manner after finishing the first course. She keeps up with the wine service with rarely a moment that we were pouring. Other service staff are keeping an eye on your water and bread as well. No need for their bottled water; their ice-cold tap is very good!

WINE
It's BYOB! Definitely wine. Bring a red and a white in your wine bag. A nice sangiovese or chianti goes well with their pasta dishes. Viognier seems to be my safe bet when I'm not sure which of their wonderful seafood items to have.

DRAWBACK
1. The restaurant becomes very noisy post 7 pm and becomes difficult to hear each other at the table.
2. The A/C does not cool the place down well in the summer when it's running at full capacity and it's a muggy summer night.