“Extremely overpriced - we felt like a walking $” 2 of 5 stars

Crossing Vineyards and Winery
Philadelphia, PA
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Extremely overpriced - we felt like a walking $”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

During a recent trip to Bucks County for some wine tasting with another couple, we stopped in at Crossing Vineyards. Huge mistake. The bigger mistake, however, was getting duped into upgrading to the "premium package". What a total ripoff. First, they have the audacity to charge $8 for standard tasting and then $15 for the premium (fortunately I was not foolish enough to pay for the "deluxe pairing with food" for $20 a person!) - and then they do not offer to refund the tasting fee if you buy a bottle!!! Are you kidding me? This isn't Napa Valley, Sonoma, or Bordeaux. Crossing's wine isn't nearly good enough for them to exhibit this kind of price gauging. So for 4 of us, we dropped $60 for what we were told was 16 tastings. We head downstairs to the cellar and are escorted to the back room. 5 minutes later a staff member finally comes over to greet us. We inform him that we paid for the premium package and he lays out the tasting sheet in front of us and goes to get the first bottle.

The server was a nice enough guy, but was ridiculously slow (it looked like they were quite understaffed - again all about the bottom line here) taking anywhere from 5-10 minutes between each tasting. The wine was ok, but after looking at the prices they were charging I was appalled. $40 for a bottle of white wine that I could easily surpass for $10 at the liquor store? I thought buying direct was a way of avoiding some of the mark-ups.

The worst part about our experience is that after about 10 tastings, the server actually had the nerve to try to wrap things up basically saying he'd offered us the gamut and looking at us like it was time to part ways. I pointed out to him that we'd tried 10 and paid for 16 so would like to try some others. He asked what we'd like to try and 4 times we picked a wine on the tasting list and his response was that they were all out....conveniently these were 4 of the more expensive on the list.

While our experience here was not as bad as the one at Buckingham Winery, it still proved to be a total rip-off. If you do not like paying through the nose for subpar wine, you would be advised to avoid Crossing Vineyards. And whatever you do, don't upgrade!!!

3 Thank Mitch16

Ossining, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great wine.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

People were very nice and informative and the wine was great.

1 Thank 36Fran
New Jersey
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Lovely Winery Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

My Husband and I extended our recent New Jersey winery tour to include the Crossing Vineyards in PA. Really nice tasting room with very knowledgable staff. $8.00 for a tasting of 8 to 10 wines. You can also have a cheese plate for $10 to add to the experience. We are planning on attending some of the Winter events, such as a Holiday Winemaker's Dinner, Italian Wine for Beginners, etc.

2 Thank galvirgo
West Chester, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Great place, wonderful cheese and good wine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

I attended the Friday's unplugged last evening with friends. The jazz was good, and cheese and wine were good for a PA vineyard. I would definitely come back. My advice for those traveling to this area for the 1st time as I did last night, is that my GPS took me .5 miles to far and the signage for the winery and lighting around the signs at night is not clear. There is a house beside the winery that is private (although marked historic) and not part of the vineyard. I found this out by parking there by mistake. Once you have arrived you will enjoy what the place has to offer.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank Sarah K
Tuckerton, New Jersey
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Chocolate and Wine are the perfect pairing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

I love chocolate and dessert wine as a simple dessert. At Crossing Vineyards, I learned that I don't have to use a sweet dessert wine with chocolate. The box of chocolates they give you is premium and beautiful. The room for the pairing is really rustic and neat (beware-there are steps). It was raining the day we were there, but we were invited to walk into the vineyard. Generally, we like New York State or California wines when drinking wines from the US. These wines from Pennsylvania were excellent, both white and red. We bought a case, that's how much we liked them. Although it's quantity is limited, the Chocolate Truffle wine is fantastic with pistachios or a salt topped chocolate. They have all sorts of programs there that are of interest. One that we plan on attending is the wine and cheese pairing. The sommelier was very informative and friendly. It was well attended and very interactive. It was a nice day trip for us as it is approximately ninety minutes away, but very easy to find with GPS.
There was a fee for this and for wine tastings. The fees are normal for the type of event.

Visited August 2011