“Underwhelming”

Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Washington
Guelph, ON
“Underwhelming”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2010

This hotel is very basic. When you walk in the front lobby you think "wow, this doesn't look too bad". But when you get to your room reality kicks in. Our room was huge but it was a tad out-dated and a bit smokey. It's not as bad as some of the other reviews but it may depend on which room you get. For a qucik one-night stop-over it does the job but if your stay is 2 nights or longer you may want to book elsewhere. They charge $2 bucks for breakfast in the morning and the offerings are pretty sad - i don't recommend it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Shake_N_Bake_13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Mantua, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

This place appeared to be decent and conveniently located upon arrival. It went downhill quickly beginning with the check-in clerk, who may have been on the job for about a day, to the room, or I should say rooms until I found one where wi-fi would connect and then only marginally. Housekeeping apparently doesn't move the chairs to sweep as the corners were quite dirty. There is a charge for a continental breakfast that is standard fare and free at 99% of other hotels. This place is in desperate need of updating, with an old, central air-conditioning system that takes a very long time to cool the room. Obviously the last time at this place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Washington hotels

St. Petersburg
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

First time going through Washington, Pa. Just driving through and we were looking for a decent place to sleep for a decent price. This looked nice, sitting up on the hill, much better than the place down below so we decided to give it a chance. Walked into the room and there was a slight smokey smell, but we were all starving so we just dropped our luggage and left. When we returned we began to notice the stench was getting stronger and eventually I had to take an allergy pill because my eyes were watering and my chest felt a little tight (I have a slight case of bronchitis at times). My family and I decided to stick it out since it was only 1 night, but my wife and I both woke up around 5am because the smell of old cigarette smoke was pretty bad. We laid in bed until the sun came up and then packed as soon as we could and got out of there. I thought a non-smoking room would be non-smoking, but these rooms have not been updated since they were originally built and the cigarette smoke is just baked into the wallpaper, flooring and ceiling. I asked another person as we were leaving if they noticed the smell and they agreed. I would have spent twice the money ($65/nt) to get a "real non-smoking" room. I just want people who are sensitive to smoke to avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2009

My husband and I visit family in the area quite often and have stayed at many of the hotels near the Ramada. This was the first time we tried the Ramada and we found it to be a good value for the money. We were not interested in trying the bar or restauant so I cannot speak to the negative reviews on that. However, we had a very nice no smoking king bed room. The bed was comfortable with lots of good pillows. It had a refridgerator, microwave oven, coffee maker, iron and board. The room was clean and decorated better than most of the equally (lower end) priced hotels we have stayed in for our weekend visits. Sure, there are better more expensive hotels in the area that we have tried. But we got a very good price here and we were very satisfied with our room and ammenities.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kadylady
crmcsl
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2008

How aweful this place was! You can just smell the stinch of smoke and a musty old-like odor as soon as you walk in the door. Everything is like an antique. This is the 21st century and you walked in to the Victorian Era. From what I was told the place went up in the 40's, and probably still looks the same. The evening staff was great. They were all so pleasant to be around. We ate in the dining room the first night and the food was excellent the server was great, the atmosphere was horrible. Nothing mached. A red carpet from the 40's and smoke stained green wall papered walls, how attractive. The room looked aweful, once again a non-smoking room smelled like an old ashtray. The bathroom floor was dirty. The sheets had holes in them. The shower curtian had a ring of dirt on it. Then we wanted to have breakfast and they charged $4 lously dollars for. The girl working kept appologizing for the aweful selection they call breakfast. The owners should be appologizing to her for making her charge people $4 for something so poor. She must put up with alot of grumpy unsatisfied customers when they see they have to pay for a continental breakfast you get for FREE at any other hotel. This was just an aweful experence. A waisted $150 to the owners. TEAR THE PLACE DOWN or take the franchise name off of it. I've been to other Ramada's. How do they allow this to represent their name!

• Liked — the food and the evening staff
  • Disliked — everything else!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Robson, West Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2008

We stayed here because of a meeting that my partner had to be at in the hotel. Walking in, you'd swear you've gone back into the 1970's. Everything was behind the times, and it smelled like a big cigarette. I remember staying here on a high school trip in 1998 and this place was in bad shape then!
When we first got in our room, the temperature was about 80 degrees and the AC wasn't working. We called the lobby and they told us to open the window! It finally started working, but it took almost 4 hours to get the room cool. Our non=smoking room smells like it used to be smoking...not the best smell when you quit smoking recently. The bathroom was average, but very out-of-date. The only thing that kept me sane through the stay was the high-speed internet....thankfully it was free, unlike everything else!
We paid $65/night for this room, and it is so not worth it! Read my fine print because you won't find this on their website! You have to pay 45 cents for every local call you make, and continental breakfast isn't free....it's $4 for the same stuff you'd get at a Super 8. There is nothing special about this hotel at all. It gives Ramada a bad name! We stayed at the Red Roof Inn down the street recently, and I feel that it was much better for about $25 cheaper.

• Liked — the internet and the view
  • Disliked — old, nasty, musty smells throughout the hotel...NO ELEVATOR!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank mirage45331
Traverse City, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2008

This hotel boasts a "happy hour in the lounge with "free hors d'orves" from 5-7 pm. Umm, NOT. All they had was a bowl of cold popcorn. That was it. I even inquired. The bartender confirmed that the the popcorn was all that there would be and her apologetic attitude indicated that this was typical.

Also, for this price, I was unpleasantly surprised that there is NO complimentary continental breakfast at all. Not even coffee.

Finally, the heat in my room didn't work and I had to bundle up in a blanket all evening.

I've stayed at other Ramadas and most have been pretty nice, but this one frankly was a rip-off, especially for the price they charge.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business