“Great experience, spacious rooms”

The George Washington Hotel
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Washington
Chicago
“Great experience, spacious rooms”
Reviewed September 13, 2010

On business for a couple of days in Washington, The George Washington Hotel was perfect for me, room was very clean and spacious...They have a bar and restaurant on site which was a big plus for me not to have to go anywhere after a long day working. Staff was great...
Read other reveiws and I was surprised of the negativity..Staff was very very helpful...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
FMikusi, Manager at The George Washington Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2010
Hello,

Thank you for the wonderful response! I am glad to hear that you had an excellent stay at our hotel, and I hope to see you the next time you are in Washington! I will share with my staff that you had a wonderful stay, and if you ever have any questions, I will be glad to assist you.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed August 28, 2010

Wow, where to begin. This is by far the worst overnight experience I have ever had in 26 years of travelling. Smack dab in the middle of Main Street of the most depressed town hosting the most degenerate group of employees I have ever witnessed, you will find the Historic George Washington Hotel. What a joke. The room was of abhorant condition. It was too hot to sleep, dirty and cheap decor throughout. The restaurant food was worse than the crap they serve in an inner city cafeteria. Even worse than the food, was the person who served it. Really! I can't even begin to explain the level of unprofessionalism exuded by this woman. It's beyond belief. I could go on forever about why you should avoid this hotel like the plague...believe the other negative reviews, they are true! Best advice, call the hotel and ask a few questions. Let the ineptitude of the staff be a clear indication of what your stay will be like.

• Stayed August 2010
Hello,

I apologize that your stay at the George Washington was not as pleasant as expected. I am new to the hotel and will pass on this review to my step in an effort to further our hotel, because anytime a guest, any guest, does not have a good stay at the hotel, myself and the other management staff has failed as your host, and I don't like failure. Several steps have been made in an effort to further guest service, and we will continue to make strides so that this type of situation does not happen. If you happen to come back to Washington, please contact me at 724-225-3200, and I'll be glad to make this right. Thank you.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 10, 2010

Got a room for a wedding at this location. The rooms were about 85 degrees with little window A/Cs to try to cool them. It didn't work and the staff was absolutely useless when it came to helping out the guests. The food was edible and that is all I can say about it. The hotel could be really nice since it is so old and has a lot of history behind it. If you have to stay in washington pa find anywhere else. And if you are thinking about getting married here, don't do it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
FMikusi, Manager at The George Washington Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2010
Hello, I am sorry to hear that your stay didn't go as well as you would have expected. The things you mentioned, about the AC units and staff, is an issue that has been addressed. There is new management in all facets, and guest satisfaction is our #1 goal. If you happen to come in to Washington, please give me a call and I'll personally look to it that your stay is enjoyable. Thank you.

central Indiana
Reviewed November 6, 2009

We stayed two nights at the GW. It is a wonderful old building that could truly be a jewel, but isn't. The huge lobby is baren of anyplace to sit, which should have been a clue that it would be nothing grand. The staff was the most inept bunch I've ever seen. Customer service and knowledge of the area was totally lost on them all. The banquet rooms are obviously the main income for the place. Much of the building is just empty space...nothing like you would expect in a grand old hotel. The room was a good size, but cheaply decorated. The bedding had a three inch stain and a pillow sham had several spots of blood on it. The headboard of the bed was two twins screwed to a bare piece of wood. The curtains were cheap sheers with no light blocking possible. It was very muggy out and no a/c. It was too warm to sleep, even with the window open the small amount of opening possible. The transom over the door to the hallway was permanently painted open, which allowed all hallway noise and light to come into the room. The security code we were given was a joke because I opened the door without using it. We were told that it was too much trouble to make people use the code and that they tried to keep the door ajar. The elevators were scary. Getting a second chair in the room seemed more than the staff could handle (and they were uncomfortable) and getting a bucket of ice seemed a major issue. We bought a bag of ice after being told that it would take time and that they had to go back through a banquet room to get any.

The restaurant is very poorly serviced. Staff were actually yelling across the room at each other while people were dining. The food was okay but nothing great, but the lack of service and (again) lack of comfortable seating caused that to be our last meal there. Also, the restaurant is next to the smoky bar and people were back and forth through an open doorway between the two. We heard a "waitress" (she shouldn't be) telling another couple about how great the band (related to the owner/manager) was and that the bar would be packed soon. When we walked by later and looked through the window, that couple were the only two sitting at the bar. A couple others were at tables, but it was hardly packed. We had breakfast the next morning in the Cafe and were the only patrons. The waitress was the only person there that we felt knew what she was doing. The breakfast, however, was the absolute worst. It made McD's look like gourmet food. The place is a hidden gem still in hiding and needs management and staff that know what they are doing.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Hello,

Thank you for the honest review, and indeed the hotel is a gem, and it is the goal of myself and the fellow managers to get this hotel in the right direction. It has been a focus on checking everything for the guest, to make sure that everything is correct everytime. If you are back in Washington, I'd love to have you give the hotel another shot, and if you want to contact myself directly, you are more than welcome to.

Pittsburgh
Reviewed June 18, 2009

This hotel is a must see for anyone looking for an "experience" and not just a place to stay! My husband and I stayed here for our 10th wedding anniversary. We were charmed by the grandure of the exterior of the hotel, and the intricate architechture on the interior. Just walking into the lobby of the hotel made us feel as if we had stepped back into a time when glamour was common place.

We stayed in "The Beatles Suite". Newly renovated, this suite featured a carved wood bed (heavenly), a stand up shower, jacuzzi tub (phenomenal), leather sofa (comfy) and two flat screen TV's. Everything we needed (and more) was right there!

The staff at the hotel are wonderful! Everyone was very accommodating, and dedicated to making our stay there enjoyable. We were treated with warmth and compassion that we haven't experienced in any of our other travels both nationally and internationally.

Don't leave the hotel without trying the "Pioneer Grille" restaurant. We spent an evening there by candlelight enjoying a Jazz duo. The atmosphere in the restaurant was very cozy and romantic, and the food was wonderful!

Be sure to ask the staff about the history of the hotel while you are there. We were suprised to find out that Marilyn Monroe, Bob Hope, President Kennedy, The Beatles, The Monkees, and others have stayed at the hotel in the past.

This hotel is truely unique! We would definitely stay here again and again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Hello,

Thank you for the tremendous review! I am happy to see that your stay went well, it is my and the fellow managers and staff's goal that our guest satisfaction is high and that our guest's are well taken care of. Thank you and I hope to see you again!