“So awful that I question the legitimacy of every positive review of this hotel.”

The George Washington Hotel
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Washington
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I travel a lot on business and am not a difficult customer. I used to work in remote oilfields - so have I stayed in some rough places. I never ever experienced a place like this.

The exterior is ragged. The lobby is old and tired. When I arrived, there was nobody at the front desk for a very long time and I was locked out, waiting on the street. The elevator was scary, rickety, dirty and damaged. My room was extremely hot and smelled rancid. I investigated to find the smell - the bottom of the shower was covered with thick, slimy black mold. The bed sheets had stains. I was able to remove the stains with a damp cloth, proving that the sheets weren't washed after the previous guest(s) deposited the stains. I discovered all this in the first 30 minutes! I could go on, but why bother.

Please, trust me on this, don’t stay at the George Washington Hotel in Washington, Pa. Like the Titanic, it was once grand.

Room Tip: Sleep in your car
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank MuchoBusinessTravel

Reviewed October 28, 2012

It seemed clean enough, but VERY noisy. The walls are paper thin, loud banging doors, and you hear all outside noises including a clock that chimes every 15minutes. The mattress was creaky every time I moved. Got no sleep. Small bathroom with no room to put your belongings. No hot water in the faucet. Only one nightstand. Certainly not worth the money.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2012

After seeing the reviews on this site I was concerned about having all my family and friends stay here for our wedding. I can't believe how different the experience was vs. the reviews. Everyone went out of their way to make my groom and I and all our guests have a wonderful stay. TJ was very attentive to everyone's needs. Heidi was beyond helpful and accommodating. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. The staff was very friendly. I would not hesitate to stay here again. The rooms have charm and the experience is much better than that of a chain hotel.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I have been staying at the hotel now over the last month for about 2 - 3 days per week. The rooms are furnished exquisitely and are very clean. I have found the staff very friendly, accommodating and egar to do what is necessary to make my stays pleasant. The desk staff always speaks and calls me by name when I'm entering or exiting the hotel or just getting coffee from the lobby. Excellent staff and management. I highly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Loved the Marilyn Monroe Suite as well as the Beattles Suite
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Sharon E
Reviewed May 13, 2012

By far the worst place we have ever traveled. We were there for a wedding and the fire alarms kept going off. Understanding it was a new system and they had no organization. I watched the Director of Operations act as if he was to good to do actual work. Also, I found 2 roaches on the 6th floor. The towels we received had holes in them. And the parking was by far the worst I have ever seen. The housekeeping was rude. The lounge was nice but even after a few drinks I could barely breathe from the smoke coming from the other guests and staff. Since when was everything smoking again in facilities? Dirty not a great stay. Wasn't impressed.

Room Tip: There is not central air. Also no heating that is stable.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Karley C
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Wow! We were fortunate to be invited to a friend's wedding that was being held at the George Washington hotel. Initially we were going to stay at the Springhill Suites but decided last minute to go ahead and stay at the venue....BIG MISTAKE! Apparently, the hotel is undergoing renovations, but while I saw lots of opportunities for improvements I didn't see where anything had been or was in the process of being done.
Before we checked in, there was not a person to be found by the Valet sign in the street in front of the building. A line of several cars was backing up and there was nobody to be found nor was there anybody to assist in unloading by providing a bell cart....nothing! You were pretty much on your own.
As I walked into the lobby, it was quite confusing as the front desk was being transformed into a bar for the cocktail hour of the wedding. I was unsure of where to go and found it quite odd that this transformation was taking place. Had I known what I was in store for next, I would've requested a cocktail up front.
When we checked in we were told we had reserved an "extended stay" room and that it is "REALLY" nice. Cool! We didn't need it, but we were getting the wedding block rate, so no big deal. After my husband, finally just leaves the car in a bank parking lot in order to get out of the street, we grab an elevator to the 10th floor....and about 5 minutes later we made it.
If the front-desk clerk considers this room "REALLY" nice, I question what his definition of a dump would be. We walk in to a room that could generously be described as "spartan". Not sure who the decorator is for this place, but I'm guessing they get frequent shopper points at Goodwill. Plain white walls, odd mismatching furniture, a random picture of puppies, and heavily stained carpet greeted us. The bed look like it had been saved from the looney ward in "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest". No headboard, pancake flat pillows, thin blanket, and lots of springs that you could feel through the mattress. (I was going to need to drink ALOT at this wedding). As I'd been in the car for 6 hours, I needed to use the restroom, and my experience in using the "hover-mode" in public restrooms became a survival skill I didn't expect to need here. The toilet seat in our room was missing. There were other issues with the bathroom...lack of a cover over the lights on the vanity, broken tp holder, very poor drainage in the sink, threadbare towels, etc...but really the biggest issue was the lack of a seat. I guess easier to vomit in when I follow through with my need to drink ALOT at this wedding!
At this point we were in a fight or flight mode, but we were running late and without many options...so we fought through our fears and got ready for the wedding. And we didn't even have a phone in our room with which to call the front desk...so what were we going to do??
We made our way back down for the glorious event, found a valet to finally park our car appropriately, and tried to enjoy our evening. The wedding was beautiful...in spite of the location. Our food was sub-par but edible, the waitstaff was congenial (sidenote - one of the servers was actually the guy who came to replace our toilet seat...not sure yet how I feel about that), the highlights were that 1. the public restrooms were fully equipped with seats and 2. Janice and Lisa our bartenders were rockstars. We enjoyed ourselves despite the location...and because I held true to my promise to drink ALOT.
Upon checkout in the morning...the lone front desk clerk was trying to do 5-6 other things and again there wasn't a valet attendant in site. We finally get checked out and find out that the front desk has our keys. Our car is parked just outside the front door we are told.....UMMM Nope....no car and I really wanted to leave this establishment behind me. After 3 times asking for help, the front desk attendant finally finds somebody to help us. And we wait again for 10 minutes for our car to be brought around. While I was hoping that maybe they were filling up the gas tank for us for our inconveniences....not such luck.
Best of luck in your renovations GW....it is much much much needed as well as some investment in improved customer service and organization.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room in this hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Angela O
Reviewed December 2, 2011

What a beautiful, clean, and comfortable room the Marilyn Monroe Suite was. My husband and I really enjoyed our stay. The room had a huge bathroom with a jacuzzi tub and large shower. The towels were extra soft and the bed was the the most confortable ever (firm mattress and pillow). And we really loved watching the sun rise in the morning over the city. Granted - it is an old hotel but that is what made it so quaint and appealng to us. You can only renovate so much before you become modern and lose your historcial charm. The staff was wonderful and we especially enjoyed talking with Dave, Paula, Jordan, Bonnie, and Don. Bonnie even helped me carry items from my car into the hotel. Try the Marilyn Monroe room for a weekend getaway.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple