“A Very Different (and Disappointing) Experience Than My Last”

The George Washington Hotel
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Washington
Reviewed August 9, 2011

I'm sorry to say that I can't continue to recommend the George Washington Hotel. We came again and not only were the much needed upgrades not finished but many of their great staff had left and had been replaced with untrained fast food workers. When we had stayed we were the only ones in the building. This time the hotel was mostly full and you could tell... you could hear EVERYTHING that was going on in the rooms next to us. We went down and complained. The owner was down there and refused to give us our money back. We left anyway and stayed at the nearby Springhill Suites. I highly suggest staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank LadybugLodge
There are newer reviews for The George Washington Hotel

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Stayed one night, July 26th. Very clean, spacious room. Comfortable clean bed. Updated bathroom and AC.
U2 concert in Pitt and every room there was booked. What amazing luck we found this cute little town and wonderful historic hotel.
Only con was the lack of parking, but not that big of a deal.
Very friendly staff!

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed February 12, 2011

After a recent trip to the Pittsburgh area, my daughter and I stayed at the George Washington Hotel. It was part of a college tour we were taking as she approaches her senior year. Being from out of state and not knowing the area, we were basically just hoping for safe, affordable, clean accommodations. What we found at this hotel, however, was a whole lot more. The George Washington is a lovely, older property that has been in the process of renovation and upgrades, and has a sense of history, quality and character that cannot be found in any chain or in new construction. However it was the unexpected, over-the-top customer service that really prompted me to write a review. So often in busy lives we choose only to comment when something does not live up to our expectations. I am trying to be just as vocal when I recognize a job well done. I commend the owners of this property for their dedication and commitment to service, and their efforts to make guests feel welcome, even pampered. I don’t know if my daughter will be accepted to this particular college we looked at, but if I am ever back in this area, we will definitely stay here. I recommend it highly.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 27, 2011

I wish I had read some of these reviews before booking off their website. Anyone who wrote an exceptional review must be related to the owners. This hotel is old, rundown, and in desperate need of a facelift/scrubbing top to bottom. Checking in we had to search around and yell to find someone to come to the front desk. This was the least of our problems though. The mattress was like sleeping on a marshmellow and you could get a full body micro dermabrasion from the sheets. I had to ignore the feeling as though the sheets hadn't been cleaned from the previous night. We stayed two nights and returned to the room the first night at 7pm to find no one had cleaned our room. We had no clean towels so I called downstairs to ask for some. It took two calls to get someone to answer the phone. When I asked for towels, since no one had cleaned our room, the gentleman was very apologetic and asked did we want him to come up and change our sheets. I replied no but we needed towels (I couldn't reuse towels since they were laid on floor after showering to walk on). He didn't seem surprised that the room hadn't been cleaned and led me to believe I needed to ask for service or there would be none. It was odd. There were several notices/signs in the building referring to "tenants". I wondered if this was a reference to town people who live in the hotel utilizing state aid or something. The whole experience was surreal.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jeannie07
FMikusi, Manager at The George Washington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2011

Jeannie,

I deeply apologize for the poor experience that you had at the George Washington Hotel. As you can understand with a historic hotel there is always a need for upgrades and improvements. We are currently in the process of a multi-million dollar upgrade. We are redoing the lobby, adding new mattresses and bedding, upgrading our elevators, locks, expending our parking, upgrading our cable and wireless internet. We are training and adding to our front desk and housekeeping staff.

We'd like to offer you GC for a free two night stay (including dinner for two) to give you another chance to experience what the George Washington Hotel is really about. Please contact the hotel and ask for Chris Belcher, Director of Operations.

Reviewed December 20, 2010

I needed to book a room in Washington on short notice and I decided to give the George Washington a shot based on the web site I found. We arrived at check in time - 3pm on Saturday. The guy at the desk told us he thought the maid was done cleaning the room. We went upstairs and she was still in the room. We waited for about 40 minutes in a sitting area right off of the elevators till she cleared out of the room. When we entered the room, I found the shower hardware laying on the toilet and there was hair in the tub which had many stains which I took as more dirt. We decided to go to dinner while the problem was fixed. The guy at the front desk told us that the maid had reported the issue with the hardware from the room but he didn't know how to find us. Umm, I booked the room with a cell phone and I'm pretty sure I gave that number to them....That night, there was a children's christmas party in the suite down the hall which we could hear them plain as day and also an adults party in the ground floors which we could identify the music being played from our suite on the 6th floor. The TVs must be tuned from an antenna since there were only 10 or so channels and half of those are CSPAN and Shopping and crap channels. The next morning, we got up early because we had to be at our event at 8:30am. I turned on the water in the tub and it was ice cold. I let it run for ten minutes and then my wife called the desk to ask them why we had no hot water. The girl at the desk was unaware and said she would call back. 10 minutes later WE called back and were told there was no hot water to any rooms. We skipped the shower to avoid being late and went to check out. I put the key on the counter and this girl said 'Okay that's all I need'. Then, as I hesitated to leave since I was expecting an offer of a partial refund or at least a heartfelt apology, she asked if I needed another receipt or something.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Angelandjerry
Reviewed December 6, 2010

I just stayed at this hotel for a weekend wedding and was appalled at the condition of the facility.

During our one night stay, we experienced two rooms. We moved from our first room due to an offensive odor, blood stained sheets and walls that were so thin I felt like my neighbors were on the pillow next to me. Management moved us to a suite on the same floor, but unfortunately it was only a larger, not better, room. This room had holes in the ceiling, no shower curtain, a dirty toilet seat and a crack under the door that a dog could have crawled under. After switching rooms we were so disgusted by the rooms cleanliness that we went to Wal Mart at midnight to purchase sleeping bags and our own pillowcases.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank goldie38
Reviewed September 13, 2010

On business for a couple of days in Washington, The George Washington Hotel was perfect for me, room was very clean and spacious...They have a bar and restaurant on site which was a big plus for me not to have to go anywhere after a long day working. Staff was great...
Read other reveiws and I was surprised of the negativity..Staff was very very helpful...

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
FMikusi, Manager at The George Washington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2010

Hello,

Thank you for the wonderful response! I am glad to hear that you had an excellent stay at our hotel, and I hope to see you the next time you are in Washington! I will share with my staff that you had a wonderful stay, and if you ever have any questions, I will be glad to assist you.

Frank Mikusi